Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke [Part II] - [C7/J.Ralph] LDU declares he wants to be a NM player for life; inspired by Larkey/Sheez/Jy signing - pay the man

Remove this Banner Ad

Shit game. Really had minimal impact on the ground.

Hence why he is still a notch below the likes of dangerfield judd.

His best is easily the equal however, he is not at his best each game and i think for the next 5 years, he needs to work on getting into the zone consistently. It will get easier when the team around him all develop.

Worst game he’s played for a long time.
If that becomes the floor performance of LDUs career, we are in for one hell of a ride over the next 10 years.

His influence was subdued by Kelly and Duggan, but when the going got tough, he genuinely cracked in and tried to put the team on his back.

His last quarter stats -

11 disposals, 3 clearances, 3 i50s, 1 r50, 3 score involvements, 2 GAs, and 188m gained.

By far, our most influential mid in the 4th.

Allen, Yeo, and Cripps all kicked 2 goals in the last quarter, accounting for 6/7 of their scores. Their senior players stood up, whilst ours shit the bed.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I thought LDU didn't seem right yesterday. Only showed glimpses of how he played last week. He might be carrying an injury we aren't aware of or was it just an off day.

Last edited:
If that becomes the floor performance of LDUs career, we are in for one hell of a ride over the next 10 years.

His influence was subdued by Kelly and Duggan, but when the going got tough, he genuinely cracked in and tried to put the team on his back.

His last quarter stats -

11 disposals, 3 clearances, 3 i50s, 1 r50, 3 score involvements, 2 GAs, and 188m gained.

Allen, Yeo, and Cripps all kicked 2 goals in the last quarter, accounting for 6/7 of their scores. Their senior players stood up, whilst ours shit the bed.

He did lift in the last, ironically that correlated with them dominating centre clearance and winning the game. I don’t think our mids will like the review on Monday morning.

His last quarter stats -

He needed to take those two shots instead of passing them off. Too unselfish.

I wish he'd take those shots myself.
TT sent them through post-high after a bender, teams shit themselves when he had the ball, that's a major part of what we're missing.

Needs to be agreed across the whole side that Luke has to launch those, for the good of the team. 1-2 attempts per game a conservative goal. No side eyes from Cam, no exasperated looked from Larks, just "on ya mate, you'll get the next one".

Because if LDU can be that midfielder, life gets so much easier for Sheezel and Wardlaw in the middle, and space will open in the 50 as he draws extra defenders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMG_2353.jpeg

I love the idea of LDU. He has the tools to be whatever he wants to be. I just can’t cop the lack of composure here and it goes to the core of our expectations for him. 4 minutes before this he is bursting into the FF and chips off to Curtis (and converts), he had every right to run another 15 meters and have a shot. Not an incorrect decision and was impressed he hit the target. Yet I, and potentially others want him to be the player to take the bit in the mouth and kick that.
Similar to Freo 2023 rd2.
In this picture he has the speed to burn off his opponent easily. Opponent slips over and is out of the contest. Larkey has separation and a blazing lead into this space that can only be described as a paddock. Instead of popping it out front he lowers his eyes and pumps it into the pocket. Coached?
I see Bont/Dusty/Danger/Sheezel having the vision to hit that lead.
These on field decisions will continue to keep him out of that Elite category. He has Elite characteristics but he’s not there as a player. That instinctive IQ.
Need to see it over the next 12 months before loading up on him. Like Cam, hope he stays but maybe it’s ok either way.
I’ll finish with…COME ON LDU…my mum loves your shit!

Watch this bloke light it up once more at Marvel.

It's a lot easier to have a ping with no wind and a fast surface. Not so much at a ground with a favourable end because of the conditions.

He obviously wants to have a crack but if he doesn't see it, he doesn't see it. I have no issue with that.

View attachment 2076693

I love the idea of LDU. He has the tools to be whatever he wants to be. I just can’t cop the lack of composure here and it goes to the core of our expectations for him. 4 minutes before this he is bursting into the FF and chips off to Curtis (and converts), he had every right to run another 15 meters and have a shot. Not an incorrect decision and was impressed he hit the target. Yet I, and potentially others want him to be the player to take the bit in the mouth and kick that.
In this picture he has the speed to burn off his opponent easily. Opponent slips over and is out of the contest. Larkey has separation and a blazing lead into this space that can only be described as a paddock. Instead of popping it out front he lowers his eyes and pumps it into the pocket. Coached?
These on field decisions will continue to keep him out of that Elite category. He has Elite characteristics but he’s not there as a player. That instinctive IQ.
Need to see it over the next 12 months before loading up on him. Like Cam, hope he stays but maybe it’s ok either way.
Umm... it's not ok either way.

One doesn't just give up a 100-game mid of his calibre coming into his prime because he doesn't see a lead lol

LDU is getting paid, and rightfully so.

Edit: Looks like he is halfway through his kick and hasn't realised his opponent has fallen early enough to pull out and straighten up to me.

Last edited:

One doesn't just give up a 100-game mid of his calibre coming into his prime because he doesn't see a lead lol

Edit: Looks like he is halfway through his kick and hasn't realised his opponent has fallen early enough to pull out and straighten up to me.

He does this shit week in and week out. Did I say give up on him? If he decides to leave it will be on his own accord…highly doubt North let him slide without matching the offer.

If he’s hitting Larkey up on a lead theres no need to pull out of anything.

Send him to the forward line coaches for two weeks while we can. Get him to walk around in the forwards skins for a bit.

Last edited:

He could've done the last minute drop the ball and recollect thing that some players do when they change their minds.

He bears a fair bit of weight on his shoulders for this team's fortunes atm, but to be honest doesn't seem the type to really relish and get his teeth into the task of lifting the team single handedly. In scientific terms, he doesn't have that dawg in him. Yet. 3 goals against the Tiggers were great, but he reverted right back to his norm in the next game, when his confidence should've been sky high.

By the same token, it could be that same shyness/willingness to leave the limelight to others that means he's more likely to stay with us than move to a bigger club.

Just wish he could take on enough nastiness to want to forego his teammates' leads and trust himself. How many other midfielders in the league get multiple opportunities to shoot at goal per game whilst streaming inside 50? Warner?

He's solid gold and still doesn't know it, in his seventh season

He could've done the last minute drop the ball and recollect thing that some players do when they change their minds.

He bears a fair bit of weight on his shoulders for this team's fortunes atm, but to be honest doesn't seem the type to really relish and get his teeth into the task of lifting the team single handedly. In scientific terms, he doesn't have that dawg in him. Yet. 3 goals against the Tiggers were great, but he reverted right back to his norm in the next game, when his confidence should've been sky high.

By the same token, it could be that same shyness/willingness to leave the limelight to others that means he's more likely to stay with us than move to a bigger club.

Just wish he could take on enough nastiness to want to forego his teammates' leads and trust himself. How many other midfielders in the league get multiple opportunities to shoot at goal per game whilst streaming inside 50? Warner?

He's solid gold and still doesn't know it, in his seventh season
Around the ground he knows it, last week in front of goal he knew it....I think he just forgot.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Around the ground he knows it, last week in front of goal he knew it....I think he just forgot.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
It was windy at the game. There was a crosswind at that North-Eastern end, you can see it blow Larkeys shot off course at the last minute (as frustrating as that was.) At the time it was frustrating but now thinking about it maybe he was right to not take the shot.

View attachment 2076693

I think this is a fair assessment.
Compared to Sheezel as an example that IQ game-to-game isn't consistent. Sometimes it's elite and other times is a rung below. Will be interested to see how it looks in a couple of years when we're a step up in development and the game plan is extremely clear.

Compared to Sheezel as an example that IQ game-to-game isn't consistent. Sometimes it's elite and other times is a rung below. Will be interested to see how it looks in a couple of years when we're a step up in development and the game plan is extremely clear.
I think everyone will suffer in comparison to Sheezel. There are about two or players in the comp on par with him for footy IQ.

I feel the odds are in his favour.
He was obviously a bit rattled after the barber took a bit too much off the sides during the week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke [Part II] - [C7/J.Ralph] LDU declares he wants to be a NM player for life; inspired by Larkey/Sheez/Jy signing - pay the man

Remove this Banner Ad

Back