Player Watch #9 Will Hayward

Remove this Banner Ad

will2.jpg

Will Hayward
Spritely Sydney Swans forward Will Hayward enjoyed a rocketing start to his career as he became the 11th-youngest player in the AFL era to reach 50 career goals in 2018. The 2016 draftee’s nippy pace and cunning goal awareness have made him a dangerous option in coach John Longmire’s forward line. A broken jaw and a persistent hip injury limited Hayward to just 12 goals in 13 senior games in 2019, but the South Australian is attacking the 2020 campaign on the back of his first full pre-season. Don’t be surprised if the exciting Swan finds himself on a wing this year.

Will Hayward
DOB: 26 October 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #21, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Walkerville (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely a bit of a drop in form but can't say the effort isn't there. He was manic in everything he did yesterday.

If he keeps working hard the goals will come.

100% Just get back to hitting the scoreboard will go a long way to ultimate success

If only we had someone playing in the same position as Hayward in the twos that could put pressure on him to lift his poor form... oh wait we haven't drafted a medium forward in forever

Some would say Hall -Kahan was that ! can hardly get a kick in the VFL
Would be nice to get one in the national draft i reckon and this is definitely the year to grab one with all of the options at pick what will be #23 or so

He may not have hit the stat sheet in a big way but take a look at the first play in this video to see what he brings to the table. He may not have been the one kicking a goal at the end of all that, but I reckon what he did was more valuable. Not one but 3 great pieces of play in the one chain. Also applied huge pressure and caused a turnover in that 2nd clip as well.

His spot in the team is safe because the coaches see and value this sort of stuff.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Due for a call out I reckon.

Terrific competitor, puts his body on the line each and every week, and now our equal highest goalkicker for the season (35).

Fwd line was misfiring for much of the night, but 4 marks (2 contested), 3 goals, kicking straight, 4 I50s and a top class workrate.

Probably his most consistent season to date and with fear of putting the moz on him, a very important piece of our line up. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #9 Will Hayward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back