A Letter to Brendon & Peggy

Remove this Banner Ad

Grown man writes letter to club pretending to know more than those who are infinitely more qualified.
gotta laugh.

Pensioner trolls passionate supporter whilst sitting on his high horse.

Gotta laugh.

Last edited:

Grown man writes letter to club pretending to know more than those who are infinitely more qualified.
gotta laugh.
If the club had the same view and fobbed off the opinions of the people who buy the memberships and keep the lights on, because their degree says they know better, we'd be back in the dark ages again pretty quick. Customer feedback is essential for a business to stay relevant.

If the club had the same view and fobbed off the opinions of the people who buy the memberships and keep the lights on, because their degree says they know better, we'd be back in the dark ages again pretty quick. Customer feedback is essential for a business to stay relevant.
Thank god for people like you. Take away the footy aspect - from employers to a democratic state - this is how it needs to be.

what were the rumours about balme being signed as head of football at crows again,
They weren't rumours according to Sam Edmund - who straight up said Balme signed a contract and confirmed the move.

Once Edmund was left wirh egg on his face - he wrote a new article about Blair Hartley being approached by Carlton and North.

They weren't rumours according to Sam Edmund - who straight up said Balme signed a contract and confirmed the move.

Once Edmund was left wirh egg on his face - he wrote a new article about Blair Hartley being approached by Carlton and North.
there you go , as they say in the classics the only thing you can believe in the papers is the date and the price, so don't come the high horse pedaling rumours as fact from some bris rag

there you go , as they say in the classics the only thing you can believe in the papers is the date and the price, so don't come the high horse pedaling rumours as fact from some bris rag

Spot on - rather be first than be accurate. Straying off topic a bit here - but a few of these AFL journos need to lose their media passes - unfortunately it's all about clicks than it is about facts.

Can we stop with the unsubstantiated rumours regarding peoples personal lives? This is a footy forum, not a teenage girl gossip club
What’s wrong with teenage girls gossip clubs? Essendon do ok with them…………

Spot on - rather be first than be accurate. Straying off topic a bit here - but a few of these AFL journos need to lose their media passes - unfortunately it's all about clicks than it is about facts.
Too many snouts in the AFL trough

The next 18 months in Richmond's history may be it's most important.

Historically, a short burst of success is confronted with a drawn out, sustained period of misery and mediocrity on field and off. Our members and supporters are seeing this vicious cycle play in front of our own eyes.

Incredible leadership and once in a generation players helped us attain the ultimate glory. Whether it's Jack Dyer, Royce Hart, Kevin Bartlett, Dustin Martin or Jack Titus. The sheer size of the clubs support and the appeal of its iconic identity makes Richmond stand out as the biggest and the best. Newspapers, television programs, social media, buzzing for years.

Cinderella morphed into Ursala.

Our success bred 'Tiger Tire', no one wanted to hear about Richmond anymore. Any story that was remotely negative was blown out of proportion, some stories were generally negative and deserved the press. The tide turned, the moment it began was with Trent Cotchin's successful appeal of the Dylan Shiel physical contest. It escalated with Alex Rance's sudden departure. It culminated with Damien Hardwick's divorce, which became ugly and public. In between?

- Dylan Grimes & Nick Vlastuin 'staging'.
- Tom Lynch's interactions.
- Sydney Stack and CCJ.
- Damien Hardwick's comments about Marvel, David Schwartz, Johnathan Brown.
- Brooke Cotchin and the dayspa.
- Demands from Richmond players whilst in Hubs.
- Jayden Short receiving an item from the home crowd (it was a watch).

With success comes great envy, and all this negativity in my opinion has exhausted the majority of people working at the club. Our rivals have poached an excessive amount of our people. Maybe these controversies and the negativity behind Richmond helped escalate the exodus? Brendon and Peggy have embraced people - helping assist people transition in and out of the club.

We're now at the crossroads - lots of talent leaving, who are they been replaced by? Our members have listened to countless podcasts, read numerous books and listened to a variety of interviews that explained Richmond was an it's best when Damien Hardwick could delegate responsibility to his support network.

Now in 2021 - mistakes of 2016 have been made again. We discuss a 'growth' mindset, however, it's now lip service - everyone is burnt out and running through the motions. Kane Lambert's passionate speech at the Jack Dyer Medal Ceremony from 2018 promised our supporters 'redemption', the passion clearly visible through the monitor of my internet stream. This has been replaced by rehearsed speeches that are perfectly worded, but lack authenticity - by our leaders.

It doesn't end there. The membership department know that I, personally, am a donor to the club. They call and message me, asking me to donate more. When my membership the past two years, the additional add on's - should be more than enough. I'm not the only one who is receiving communication from the club for extra funds, whether it's raffle ticket entries of donations to the FTF. I cannot stress enough, it's very difficult to donate when on this occasion, I haven't been told what my money will do.

Brendon Gale explained in 2010 the FTF would relay the surface on Punt Road, giving our players better facilities to train. The creation of our own VFL team needed 500,000 to get started, $6,000,000 dollars - and Gale was transparent, enthusiastic and honest with how it would be spent.

Now? Whilst I see videos of Hawthorn players personally signing thank you letters to 77,000 members - I reflect on how Richmond used to be the club that was most authentic with its members. We even had a representative on the Big Footy forum that we nicknamed 'Stig'.

We've lost our way.

I have noticed and I know many others have too.

Spend the break to rediscover that lost energy, spark and passion.

Our history shows that once our successful period fades - we lay dormant, becoming the 'sleeping giant once again for another 25 years.

What do I want to see? Transparency between club and members. Communication from the top - I dont want fluffy feel good pieces, I genuinely want to know what were doing to get better? What's the next phase here for Richmond.

Thank you for the success. I am grateful forever for it and those memories will last for the rest of my life, I genuinely hope we can create more.

Kind Regards,

I will send this with my member name and member number.
* Alex Rance's sudden departure.
* It culminated with Damien Hardwick's divorce
* lots of talent leaving, who are they been replaced by?
* Brendon Gale explained in 2010 the FTF would relay the surface on Punt Road, giving our players better facilities to train. The creation of our own VFL team needed 500,000 to get started, $6,000,000 dollars

We won more flags after Rance; who else have we lost? Higgins & Butler. marriages break up; I do think Hardwick should've complained less in pressers; The soft cap fine was tough to handle that's finished; VFL comp got hammered this year; I'm glad we gave the players a chance for a 3 peat. We failed, but just the right amount of players are departing.
I'm confident in Gale/Oneill/Hardwick/Balme to be quick learners. I don't expect another flag right away, Stand rule needs to be addressed too.
without the only point I'm disappointed with is our success has been hammered by COVID.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Historically, a short burst of success is confronted with a drawn out, sustained period of misery and mediocrity on field and off. Our members and supporters are seeing this vicious cycle play in front of our own eyes.

Incredible leadership and once in a generation players helped us attain the ultimate glory. Whether it's Jack Dyer, Royce Hart, Kevin Bartlett, Dustin Martin or Jack Titus. The sheer size of the clubs support and the appeal of its iconic identity makes Richmond stand out as the biggest and the best. Newspapers, television programs, social media, buzzing for years.

Our success bred 'Tiger Tire', no one wanted to hear about Richmond anymore. Any story that was remotely negative was blown out of proportion, some stories were generally negative and deserved the press. The tide turned, the moment it began was with Trent Cotchin's successful appeal of the Dylan Shiel physical contest. It escalated with Alex Rance's sudden departure. It culminated with Damien Hardwick's divorce, which became ugly and public. In between?

- Sydney Stack and CCJ.

With success comes great envy, and all this negativity in my opinion has exhausted the majority of people working at the club. Our rivals have poached an excessive amount of our people. Maybe these controversies and the negativity behind Richmond helped escalate the exodus? Brendon and Peggy have embraced people - helping assist people transition in and out of the club.

We're now at the crossroads - lots of talent leaving, who are they been replaced by? Our members have listened to countless podcasts, read numerous books and listened to a variety of interviews that explained Richmond was an it's best when Damien Hardwick could delegate responsibility to his support network.

Now in 2021 - mistakes of 2016 have been made again. We discuss a 'growth' mindset, however, it's now lip service - everyone is burnt out and running through the motions. Kane Lambert's passionate speech at the Jack Dyer Medal Ceremony from 2018 promised our supporters 'redemption', the passion clearly visible through the monitor of my internet stream. This has been replaced by rehearsed speeches that are perfectly worded, but lack authenticity - by our leaders.

It doesn't end there. The membership department know that I, personally, am a donor to the club. They call and message me, asking me to donate more. When my membership the past two years, the additional add on's - should be more than enough. I'm not the only one who is receiving communication from the club for extra funds, whether it's raffle ticket entries of donations to the FTF. I cannot stress enough, it's very difficult to donate when on this occasion, I haven't been told what my money will do.

Brendon Gale explained in 2010 the FTF would relay the surface on Punt Road, giving our players better facilities to train. The creation of our own VFL team needed 500,000 to get started, $6,000,000 dollars - and Gale was transparent, enthusiastic and honest with how it would be spent.

Now? Whilst I see videos of Hawthorn players personally signing thank you letters to 77,000 members - I reflect on how Richmond used to be the club that was most authentic with its members. We even had a representative on the Big Footy forum that we nicknamed 'Stig'.

We've lost our way.

Our history shows that once our successful period fades - we lay dormant, becoming the 'sleeping giant once again for another 25 years.

What do I want to see? Transparency between club and members. Communication from the top - I dont want fluffy feel good pieces, I genuinely want to know what were doing to get better? What's the next phase here for Richmond.

Thank you for the success. I am grateful forever for it and those memories will last for the rest of my life, I genuinely hope we can create more.

Kind Regards,

l completely understand your angle, and you raised some great points.

Benny “foolishly” set the bar so high that made even the most die hard Tigers sceptical. But Bennys vision set us up on a course to success.....

we needed an ethos, a new vibe... and we got it through Dima, Peggy, and players like Ivan maric, and later Houli, Rance, etc, we were humble and hungry and fresh.

we all have to uphold a standard, a Richmond standard...not the Richmond of old (which was brutal in house) but a new modern standard. So if l was writing a letter it would be like.....

Dear Peggy and Benny,

Thank you for leading the Tigers to be a significant force on and off the field, thank you for setting the bar and giving us a once in a generation team, as supporters our joy has been immeasurable, even though we don’t always show it.

My understanding is this new Richmond ethos is to except differences, to educate to strive for excellence.

I feel we need a tune up, it’s time for another speech please, one not based on members or money or premierships, but one on how the club carries itself on and off the field. The success will follow.

Accept differences and varieties of opinion for sure.
We all have different views, as we should.
I would say, by global sports standards, our Richmond football club membership is decidedly cheap in comparison to other sports codes, EPL, NFL, Serie A, so on.
I don't know what NBA is, I think a start up bleacher ticket is $150 AUD.
Some of the EPL or Serie A clubs are foreign owned.
I am not lecturing or scolding but would say the cost is relative and we receive tremendous value in comparison.

Last edited:

- Sydney Stack and CCJ.

We've lost our way.

Kind Regards,

I had similar concerns about off-field ‘issues’ until I watched the retirement speeches of Astbury and Houli. You can’t fake the clear love and respect they had for Dimma and the club.

And why wouldn’t they ..??? Dimma, Cotchin and the club have preached vulnerability and accepting people’s flaws and their mistakes…. The last thing being preached is perfection or stoicism at all times. I think it’s a long bow to suggest the players are not willing to forgive Dimma’s marriage break-up - whatever the circumstances - when he has spent a decade providing care, support, public backing and forgiveness for around 100 listed players he has coached and mentored.

There’s a suggestion Cotchin may have an issue because his wife was close to Mrs Hardwick and Cotch is a straight laced family man ….. but seriously …. the amount of unflinching public support Dimma has given Trent during the bad times has at times been beyond the call. He has slayed any media head to criticise Trent. He has treated them with contempt when Cotch’s playing style was criticised. When his captaincy was criticised. When his form late this season was criticised. So after a decade of that support, as if he’s going to ‘turn’ on Dimma because he had an unhappy marriage and left his wife…. just didn’t happen.

Anyway…. was it Dimma/culture or a jaded team, injuries, lost close games and didn’t win them, lost some depth players, senior players a little older, maybe lost a bit of motivation, teams worked us out, stand rule scre*ed us etc…..

Do we come back and content in 2022? Who knows. Are there off-field or cultural issues. I severely doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Very premature. Did we expect our coaches not to be raided after 4 years of total dominance? Nothing stays the same forever. This club is a powerhouse in many respects And will find the right people to replace those who have left. We will bounce back in 22 given our horrendous injury toll this year. We are still well within the premiership window.

As much as I agreed with most of the OP and it's concerns, I believe it should only be seen as a talking point and not sent as a letter. In 2016 we were mostly all frustrated and if I RECALL ABOUT 87% of this board wanted KDH sacked on The Sack Dimma Thread. Ben, Peg and KDH had by then completed their 7th season without winning a final so people had good reasons to be disappointed. Let's not jump the gun with letters of concerns at this stage and lets all be be a bit more resilient and patient and see what they can deliver in the next two seasons. Yes I'm concerned also with where our future is heading, but realistically speaking once you've got people at the top that have got us to Everest on three occasions then they would be the best qualified to get us back there.

No problems with the talk being about footy but it's called a private life for a reason. It's nobody's bloody business what happens when you go home.

Speculation, rumour, innuendo, gossip (which is all it is) does nothing but undermine the club and the team. Everyone has the right to decide where to spend their money, but it doesn't give you the right to air someone's laundry, dirty or otherwise in an open forum.

I have no problems with the letter/op however as you say TM, the Hardwick's divorce became public and ugly, innocent people get dragged through the mud and that has nothing to do with football imo.

I don't mind declaring I've been divorced for 20y and my first wife is still one of my closest and dearest friends, the mother of my children. Nobody knows what goes on in peoples lives and that is as it should be.

People call football clubs "family", but family is your family and the footy club is like a family. People who don't appreciate that subtle difference and feel it's ok to comment on someone's private life are on a hiding to nothing. Because you will never know.

It's private and should remain so.
sigh , I hear you, but feel there will always be grass fires on the gossip front
for the more mature ones here we can call out speculative gossip and hope to contain it

I believe , the fine line where we can discuss is post an event ie a seperation , loss of a parnter/Child/parent ....
we can try to see if coach / player / adminstrator is still performing and if not then something has to change
for myself after a marriage separation , a not nice one , I threw myself into coaching as a distraction , and it was probably good for all involved
but I've seen people after marriage splits and after losing elderly parents just not be in a good head space
and they need a lengthy break or a change

So I think it fair to examine if Hardwick was functioning ok as our head coach post his split
but as you say not speculate on how the split happened

with our season , I dont see it as a reflection on the coaches
at one stage I'm sure we had 5 midfielders out
and then later in the year we had 4 of our celebrated back 6 out
when you lose so many of the one type at once you cant cover it , the players know it and they dont go out and play with the same spark

Unfortuneatley when journalists like Caro just keep bringing it up it does fan the fires of gossip

- Sydney Stack and CCJ.

We've lost our way.

Kind Regards,

Nice post and spot on.

The first way of moving forward is to accept accountability for your problems. I too clearly see that we have "lost our way". The sooner that can be accepted the sooner we can all move in one direction again.

I short, I think that many people at the club started to drink their own bath water in both their work & personal lives. It's all fixable but only if its accepted

To those who want to scream heresy - just remember the difference between "supporting" & "enabling" can be very very subtle.

Last edited:
Incredible leadership and once in a generation players helped us attain the ultimate glory.
I think this is the most important part of a dynasty.
Cotchin Martin Rance Reiwoldt recruited at around the same time and grew with Dimma to achieve a dyanasty.
Grimes replaced Rance in the big 4.

Even if we can jag another flag with the current list, I think another era would require a similar path with a new big 4 and 5 or so years development.
So I'm happy to see if Cotchin Martin Grimes Reiwoldt can squeeze one more. But after that its a fresh start (rebuild).

Remove this Banner Ad

A Letter to Brendon & Peggy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back