A little touch of reality...

Remove this Banner Ad

To ocasionally criticise the coach when he makes an error is one thing, but the way a certain section of the Essendon fans have been with their non stop bleating about a side that in reality is on it's way up, reminds me of Carlton or even Melbourne Victory supporters....as soon as we start having success they'll say they were with him all the way and that is what's pathetic.

I would like to think as a collective group we're better than that, but unfortunately this year i'm starting to have my doubts.

House

Melbourne Victory supporters are in a league of their own - They are unhappy because the club has too much success.:eek:

There are certaily cases in which that could be questioned.

The uncertainty of where Hurley plays; he was told pre season he would play back, then at the start of the season he is forward and now he is back again. He has only played 21 games.

Myers is played in a stop gap role at AFL level, then gets a chance in the middle and is dropped, Then goes back to the VFL in the middle.

Houli plays a different role in the VFL to what he has ever played in the AFL.

Quinn has been crucified by bringing him into two games in a side which has been abysmal and he has been the scapegoat both times.

Slattery plays a blinding debut and is dropped.

Neagle is the scapegoat for the Round 1 loss and then all of a sudden after a 80pt loss he is good enough again and we decide to move Hurley down back.

I just feel that youngsters need consistency. The likes of Hooker, Pears, Gumby, Hocking and Melksham are all reaping the rewards of this. Just imagine if we had done the same with the other players listed above.

Boucks

Agree with your summary.

And hurley is being sacrificed - moving from week to week to quarter to quarter.

There is no reason for Hurley being played in defence this week.

Hurley plays forward and if he struggles big time - he is moved into defence or he goes to bendigo.

I get the impression that the match committee is divided.

There are certaily cases in which that could be questioned.

The uncertainty of where Hurley plays; he was told pre season he would play back, then at the start of the season he is forward and now he is back again. He has only played 21 games.

Myers is played in a stop gap role at AFL level, then gets a chance in the middle and is dropped, Then goes back to the VFL in the middle.

Houli plays a different role in the VFL to what he has ever played in the AFL.

Quinn has been crucified by bringing him into two games in a side which has been abysmal and he has been the scapegoat both times.

Slattery plays a blinding debut and is dropped.

Neagle is the scapegoat for the Round 1 loss and then all of a sudden after a 80pt loss he is good enough again and we decide to move Hurley down back.

I just feel that youngsters need consistency. The likes of Hooker, Pears, Gumby, Hocking and Melksham are all reaping the rewards of this. Just imagine if we had done the same with the other players listed above.

Fair points but if you look at each of the situations in isolation then there probably is a method in this madness.

For instance Hurley - Where do we play him? At full strength with Fletcher, Pears and Hooker in the team you'd probably say forward otherwise we'd be too top heavy in the backline. With Neagle struggling with his fitness we've also needed him as another tall forward option. Now with Fletch and Pears out he has been moved back again. Hopefully he will be left down back for the rest of the year but if our forwards continue to struggle he may be moved forward again.

Myers, Houli and Neagle all have had fitness concerns. The reason Myers and Houli are played in the middle in the VFL is to increase their fitness to AFL standard. Likewise Neagle who had to loose weight before getting a chance in the seniors again.

T Slattery suffered a broken nose and Melbourne's forward line isn;t very tall. I believe this is the reason he was left out. I'm sure he'll be back in the side soon.

Quinn I agree with. To put him in against Adelaide was a bad decision. His VFL form had been very good but this was always going to be a huge risk.

Remove this Banner Ad

A little touch of reality...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back