A Section A Section Amateur Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

At my school we valued winning premierships all the time with our mates and then backing up the next year to try and do it again.

If relegation in the following year was the price to pay for winning an A section flag there would be quite a few clubs willing to pay it each year.

Petrov - sorry to drag you away from your "I'm smarter than you" debate, but I'm curious about one thing...........why does a club have to pay a price for winning a premiership?

At my school we valued winning premierships all the time with our mates and then backing up the next year to try and do it again.

Did they teach you how to fish? It is way too easy to wind you blokes up.

I can feel the anger coming through, you need to calm yourselves or your journey to the dark side will be complete.

To answer the previous question from Paul Kaos, a club does not have to pay a price for a premiership. It was just a suggestion that if there was a price to pay, many clubs would be willing to pay it. Unfortunately there is no choice and you can not choose to win a flag just like you can not choose to be relegated..

Did they teach you how to fish? It is way too easy to wind you blokes up.

I can feel the anger coming through, you need to calm yourselves or your journey to the dark side will be complete.

To answer the previous question from Paul Kaos, a club does not have to pay a price for a premiership. It was just a suggestion that if there was a price to pay, many clubs would be willing to pay it. Unfortunately there is no choice and you can not choose to win a flag just like you can not choose to be relegated..

Huh?

Sorry, that last sentence is a little confusing and it reads better like this, you can't choose to win a flag and you can't choose to be relegated. As we all know each year in each section there is only 1 flag and the bottom two teams go down, there is no choosing involved. My point may have been misunderstood, hopefully it is clear now.

You private school boys make me sick...... tell me there were no sheilas at your 'boys' school. Get a life

Mister X, you left the caps lock on when creating your profile.

That's the button above shift on the left hand side of the keyboard.

For futher tips from those who completed year 9 keep tuning in to the
A-Section Ammo thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what are the reports from the scotch v collegians match... does anybody know?

If you are referring to the tribunal, Thompson (Scotch) was red-carded for throwing 3-4 at Robbins' head after a scuffle.

Didn't look pretty, and i would expect a couple of weeks for Thompson.

Snake Pitters

Could any of you please fill me in on how Turtle Wilkinson ended up playing for Strathmore in the EDFL...?

About a week before the season took off to some joint called Pyramid Hill about 3 hours towards Mildura for $$$. Supposedly didn't like the travel. Realised you could get cash locally. Don't think the club and players hold any real hard feelings. Always disappointing to lose a premiership player but we all know these things happen in Ammos. You have to work out a way to move on. (Perhaps Petrov could take some notes and deliver them back to his club)

His brother is still at the Pit and enjoying another very good season down back.

About a week before the season took off to some joint called Pyramid Hill about 3 hours towards Mildura for $$$. Supposedly didn't like the travel. Realised you could get cash locally. Don't think the club and players hold any real hard feelings. Always disappointing to lose a premiership player but we all know these things happen in Ammos. You have to work out a way to move on. (Perhaps Petrov could take some notes and deliver them back to his club)

His brother is still at the Pit and enjoying another very good season down back.

Apparently it is a "typical cycle"... at OH anyway...
1. Win Premiership
2. Players get big heads
3. Players take off to lesser leagues/clubs to get coin because they have no actual connection or love for the jumper as they were ring ins for a school with trophy's in mind rather than school pride and passion...
4. Go from premiers to laughing stock of A grade.

Apparently it is a "typical cycle"... at OH anyway...
1. Win Premiership
2. Players get big heads
3. Players take off to lesser leagues/clubs to get coin because they have no actual connection or love for the jumper as they were ring ins for a school with trophy's in mind rather than school pride and passion...
4. Go from premiers to laughing stock of A grade.

Only 1 bloke has gone to a lesser league chasing cash. I will let you figure out who that bloke is (it is not difficult). The others have either retired, have long term serious injuries or have gone to the VFL. We are not dwelling on this or whinging we are simply doing what we can to limit the damage.

I admit that the scholarship debacle at the school has cost us down at OH as not many of the kids that finish in the 1st XVIII are likely to play for us as they have not had the time to build loyalty.

The problem is we have no say in the way the school runs their sporting program. Please don't blame us for the policies that the senior management of the school have implemented, they have nothing to do with the football club.

Fact is we are in a tough situation, with the new reinstatement rules that were implemented it is making it very difficult to attract quality young players who can get cash elsewhere. I think that plenty of other clubs in all grades are starting to experience this problem also.

I think you will all agree that the standard of the competition has suffered since the rule change. It places pressure on clubs to bend the rules to attract and hang on to players. It is placing a big load on Old Boy networks and some clubs do that better than others. Also the district clubs in the ammos are basically stuffed as they do not have that Old Boy network to rely on.

Is there a solution? Or do the ammos just let the school sides with the strongest Old Boy networks dominate. Obviously most of you blokes don't care because your clubs are coping well, but surely you can see the danger signals for the competition in the future.

Can anyone tell me about David Clark who plays for Old Brighton. Where is he from and how he got to play for them? Watched him on the weekend and the lad certainly knows how to find the footy..

Only 1 bloke has gone to a lesser league chasing cash. I will let you figure out who that bloke is (it is not difficult). The others have either retired, have long term serious injuries or have gone to the VFL. We are not dwelling on this or whinging we are simply doing what we can to limit the damage.

I admit that the scholarship debacle at the school has cost us down at OH as not many of the kids that finish in the 1st XVIII are likely to play for us as they have not had the time to build loyalty.

The problem is we have no say in the way the school runs their sporting program. Please don't blame us for the policies that the senior management of the school have implemented, they have nothing to do with the football club.

Fact is we are in a tough situation, with the new reinstatement rules that were implemented it is making it very difficult to attract quality young players who can get cash elsewhere. I think that plenty of other clubs in all grades are starting to experience this problem also.

I think you will all agree that the standard of the competition has suffered since the rule change. It places pressure on clubs to bend the rules to attract and hang on to players. It is placing a big load on Old Boy networks and some clubs do that better than others. Also the district clubs in the ammos are basically stuffed as they do not have that Old Boy network to rely on.

Is there a solution? Or do the ammos just let the school sides with the strongest Old Boy networks dominate. Obviously most of you blokes don't care because your clubs are coping well, but surely you can see the danger signals for the competition in the future.

Some valid points but there surely the entire school side isn't made up of scholarship players hence all it requires is enough mateship and people getting in the good players ears to get them down to the club. The Old Boy network can only do so much, what you got to realise is that teams like Ivanhoe don't have a very strong school side yet are playing A grade (seniors) and their 19s are dominating the division 3 grade. OH need to realise that it's not just the Old Boy network which you need to source your players from... try the local clubs, especially the juniors that don't have a senior affiliation, there are quite a few out there! The mix of suburban mongrel and hard at it nature mixed with the skillfulness of the school players works wonders... OI U19 - prime example.

I agree with you that players need to be sourced from a number of areas but at McKinnon we have a co-tennant in St. Pauls/East Bentleigh who play in the SFL. They tend to get most of the local blokes who can play as they all grew up playing junior footy together. Also being the SFL they can offer a little bit of cash that gets young kids interested.

I also agree that success is not only because of a strong Old Boy network but it certainly helps, evidence of this is that A and B section are now dominated by school teams. We have had a number of quality youngsters and some experienced high profile players contact us to ask what can we do for them if they come down and play. We cannot offer cash but can only offer long term incentives such as employment and a possible career paths. We obviously have not been able to offer what they are looking for and they have gone to other clubs in the ammos and other leagues.

Many players do not see job security and a solid career as important and simply want something up front which most amateur clubs cannot offer. With the current reinstatement rule, players can come and go when they like. For that reason the VAFA is falling behind the stronger suburban and country competitions.

Mister X, you left the caps lock on when creating your profile.

That's the button above shift on the left hand side of the keyboard.

For futher tips from those who completed year 9 keep tuning in to the
A-Section Ammo thread.

Righto superstar. Are you just another 'puppet' on this forum trying to pretend to be someone you're not?? Quick - daddy's prob calling for you....faag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back