Ablett is the game's greatest ever midfielder

Remove this Banner Ad

His best is bloody good, but that's not the scariest thing about him. No, it's more that he's been at this level for 7-8 years straight. Guy's an absolute freak of nature.

The thing is, each time you think it's too hard to call that he is, he just produces more and more games/seasons that make it harder to find reasons why he isn't.

Comfortably the best I have ever seen, never saw Matthews or Skilton though, but when you consider I have seen the likes of Voss, Buckley, Hird, R Harvey, G Williams, P Kelly, Judd and guys of that ilk then it's a fair effort.

x2.

By some margin. Forget Midfielder. Just semantics.

Lockett, Carey and Ablett Snr were all amazing forwards.

Every bit as talented and great as Ablett Jnr but not as consistent due to the nature of their position.

I've always had Greg Williams in the top 3 of all footballers that I've seen, I have a sneaking feeling that on sheer weight of excellence over such a prolonged period that I may have to bump Diesel out for him as much as it pains me to say.

Calling it now. Greatest of all time.
May I please see your stats sheet comparing all 11,162 VFL/AFL players who played before Ablett, full match reports, and anecdotes of teammates/opponents of all these 11,162 players? Oh nah, nevermind, because a few armchair experts have seen him play on tv a few times we can call him the greatest ever.

Lockett, Carey and Ablett Snr were all amazing forwards.

Every bit as talented and great as Ablett Jnr but not as consistent due to the nature of their position.

Don't worry Plugger I have always thought Lockett was the best player to ever play the game, taking the nature of his position into account as you have put it.
I suppose it is like the Brownlow though Midfielders are always in the spot light. GAJ is a freak though as was the big man that all Saints and Swans love.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hayden buntons family say that he gathered a few kicks in his time.
think he may have got brownlow votes every now and then.

I don't trust bald people

Half a haircut = trustworthy

272772-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Ablett > everyone else..

I have always had Leigh Mathews as the best player I have ever seen. Mathews followed by Carey had it all IMO.

I will reserve judgement on calling Ablett Jnr as the GOAT for now but he is certainly almost at Mathew's level for mine. The next few years will determine whether I put him ahead of Mathews. I want to see him kick goals as an almost permanent forward in the same manner as what Mathews did.

One thing I didn't know about Ablett was his level of competitiveness. I heard Pendlebury interviewed and he was asked who was the most competitive player across the comp he has played with / against. He didn't hesitate in naming Ablett. Rated him as clear #1.

"Greatest ever" ...BF speak for "this week's".

Except that "this week" has been going for over 7 years straight now.

I would never say "greatest ever" - impossible to call and too subjective. There have been very few players his equal in the last decade or two though. What's more amazing is that most of the players from his draft have understandably slowed down. He hasn't. And he never gets injured either.

Yeah he's awesome to watch unless he's carving up your team.

Not sure if he's the GOAT but he's probably the greatest player I've seen in my time watching football, well the greatest midfielder anyway.

I'd have him right alongside Greg Williams now. Can't think of a midfielder in the last 30 years better than those two.

Carey (admitting bias) is still the best I've ever seen, but Ablett, like Carey, only needs one quarter to take the game away, he's so much better than everyone else out there. And Carey only had four years at the absolute top before he did his shoulder, plus he had OP for a while, so his time at the top was limited by games missed and the impact of injuries - nothing seems to slow Ablett down amd he has been churning out these performances for so long.

Carey (admitting bias) is still the best I've ever seen, but Ablett, like Carey, only needs one quarter to take the game away, he's so much better than everyone else out there. And Carey only had four years at the absolute top before he did his shoulder, plus he had OP for a while, so his time at the top was limited by games missed and the impact of injuries - nothing seems to slow Ablett down amd he has been churning out these performances for so long.

Pips Carey as the greatest ever player for mine for the reasons you've stated above (intending to be excuses on Carey's behalf).

Ablett has been more consistently brilliant, and that isn't a slight on Carey at all.

I would be surprised if there has been anyone that has played at his level for such a sustained period of time so consistently.
He is incredible. If he gets a step on his opponent within the 50 you just write it down. When the ball came in from Bennell yesterday and he go his hands on it I mentally ticked it as a goal and waited with anticipation to see how he would kick it. He does it over and over and over. As someone above said, he just doesn't make mistakes.

I thought Carey got 7 AA's in a row?

This year anyway, should be Ablett's 8th all australian in a row. How fked up is that. Imagine if he was a freak right off the bat like Selwood or Judd, instead of taking 5 seasons.

You can hold his gold coast best and fairests with a grain of salt, as there hasn't been much competition, but his MVP's you cannot. 5 of them. God knows I've lost track of all his media awards like coaches association and herald sun, age etc.

I'm only 27 - he is far and away the best player I've ever seen. He should have had one more brownlow to his name, but looks a very fair chance to win his third this season anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ablett is the game's greatest ever midfielder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back