Adam Simpson meets with AFL to discuss the inequalities that interstate teams put up with

Remove this Banner Ad

Always bring up the home advantage but never the away disadvantage.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Amazing isn't it?

The fact they literally never mention the true away disadvantage means they're either intentionally being deceptive and intellectually dishonest, or that they're completely myopic, only able to focus on the things that suit their argument, which shows they don't have the capacity to be arguing over such an issue.

Amazing isn't it?

The fact they literally never mention the true away disadvantage means they're either intentionally being deceptive and intellectually dishonest, or that they're completely myopic, only able to focus on the things that suit their argument, which shows they don't have the capacity to be arguing over such an issue.

The true home advantage in H&A is all they have in reply.

Which why they dont bring up the true Away disadvantage.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

This will be read as an Eagles complaint but it’s not, the Eagles here are just a great example of what I’m raising.

Non Victorian teams typically get very few chances to play at the MCG. The Grand Final is at the G for the next forty years (minimum), and I think it’s fair to say all clubs should be getting a crack at playing on the ground more than twice per season.

It’s been announced that the Eagles will face Melbourne in Alice Springs this year. This, on paper, isn’t some blow off match between two nobodies - the reigning premiers face a top four favourite in a preliminary final rematch. How is it that this was not deemed suitable to be played at the G, and instead will be on display for 5000 odd people in a paddock?

The following teams have played away games in the Northern Territory:
Port Adelaide x 13
Fremantle x 4
Adelaide x 2
Gold Coast x 2
West Coast x 1 (plus this coming season)
Brisbane x 1

Carlton x 1

In a league where more than half the teams are Victorian, and an MCG tenant has hosted 14 ‘home’ games in the Northern Territory, how is it that the AFL would squander so many opportunities to at least pay lip service to interstate team complaints?

Collingwood and Essendon have never been to Tassie, while Carlton are the only Victorian side to have ever played an away game in the NT. Freo have played in Tassie more times than any visiting team in footy. Port Adelaide have featured in 13 games in the Northern Territory. None of these were possibly able to be played at the MCG to give these clubs a look at the only venue in footy that matters according to some on here?

Last edited:
This will be read as an Eagles complaint but it’s not, the Eagles here are just a great example of what I’m raising.

Non Victorian teams typically get very few chances to play at the MCG. The Grand Final is at the G for the next forty years (minimum), and I think it’s fair to say all clubs should be getting a crack at playing on the ground more than twice per season.

It’s been announced that the Eagles will face Melbourne in Alice Springs this year. This, on paper, isn’t some blow off match between two nobodies - the reigning premiers face a top four favourite in a preliminary final rematch. How is it that this was not deemed suitable to be played at the G, and instead will be on display for 5000 odd people in a paddock?

Port Adelaide x 13
Fremantle x 4
Adelaide x 2
Gold Coast x 2
Brisbane x 1

Carlton x 1

In a league where more than half the teams are Victorian, and an MCG tenant has hosted 14 ‘home’ games in the Northern Territory, how is it that the AFL would squander so many opportunities to at least pay lip service to interstate team complaints?

MCG tenants Collingwood and Essendon have never been to Tassie, while Carlton are the only Victorian side to have ever played an away game in the NT. Freo have played in Tassie more times than any visiting team in footy. Port Adelaide have featured in 13 games in the Northern Territory. None of these were possibly able to be played at the MCG to give these clubs a look at the only venue in footy that matters according to some on here?
We're not an MCG tenant.

Fair call, edited. Point still stands though that certain clubs are untouchable when it comes to these home away from home games.
The likes of Melbourne, Hawthorn, North Melbourne and Bulldogs want home games in Melbourne against Essendon and Collingwood. It doesn't financially make sense to sell their home game when it makes them more money than other teams. Sure there are some inequalities, but selling home games is a business decision.

Port Adelaide x 13
Fremantle x 4
Adelaide x 2
Gold Coast x 2
Brisbane x 1

Carlton x 1

MCG tenants Collingwood and Essendon have never been to Tassie, while Carlton are the only Victorian side to have ever played an away game in the NT. Freo have played in Tassie more times than any visiting team in footy. Port Adelaide have featured in 13 games in the Northern Territory. None of these were possibly able to be played at the MCG to give these clubs a look at the only venue in footy that matters according to some on here?

Far out.

Port Adelaide had a ‘Central Corridoor Strategy’ where they were actively wanting to develop the NT. They were happy to play as the away team there. In some seasons they would play two games against opponents who only played their once...and again this is supposedly a ‘disadvantage’?

You do realise that the AFL first and foremost needs to try and satisfy the wishes of the ‘home’ team first yeah!?

Melbourne, like other MCG tenants Collingwood, Hawthorn and Richmond don’t get all 11 home games at the G. Collingwood are happy to cop Etihad games, but Melbourne and Hawthorn prefer to not play at Etihad and instead opt to play in Tassie and NT.

If a team like Port have a strategy to develop the NT it is a win-win, but if not it is Melbourne’s preference commercially to play a non Melbourne team in the NT as the whole reason they are going is a commercial decision.

If a team wants more MCG exposure, give up some home games like Geelong does....don’t try and dictate where your away games should be played.

Far out.

Port Adelaide had a ‘Central Corridoor Strategy’ where they were actively wanting to develop the NT. They were happy to play as the away team there. In some seasons they would play two games against opponents who only played their once...and again this is supposedly a ‘disadvantage’?

You do realise that the AFL first and foremost needs to try and satisfy the wishes of the ‘home’ team first yeah!?

Melbourne, like other MCG tenants Collingwood, Hawthorn and Richmond don’t get all 11 home games at the G. Collingwood are happy to cop Etihad games, but Melbourne and Hawthorn prefer to not play at Etihad and instead opt to play in Tassie and NT.

If a team like Port have a strategy to develop the NT it is a win-win, but if not it is Melbourne’s preference commercially to play a non Melbourne team in the NT as the whole reason they are going is a commercial decision.

If a team wants more MCG exposure, give up some home games like Geelong does....don’t try and dictate where your away games should be played.

With all due respect what would be Melbournes commercial reason to want to host West Coast there when they would easily out do that in numbers at the G? I understand playing a Gold Coast or a Freo there at the minute but West Coast going there to be honest is just poor fixturing by the AFL for next season. Two current top 4 teams is stupid.

With all due respect what would be Melbournes commercial reason to want to host West Coast there when they would easily out do that in numbers at the G? I understand playing a Gold Coast or a Freo there at the minute but West Coast going there to be honest is just poor fixturing by the AFL for next season. Two current top 4 teams is stupid.
I agree, seems weird playing 2 top 4 teams there.

Did WC ask to play there?

if you seriously think about it.. they don't need much extra help about time travelling.. they just don't.. they are healthy athletes and
they don't need to sleep all of less than eight hours or even less than four hours... everyone does it..

Just categorising everyone as to what they have that is a problem... gonna find a solution..

I agree, seems weird playing 2 top 4 teams there.

Did WC ask to play there?

For all we know the answer could be yes? I doubt it though. I am thinking a Melbourne v West Coast game would get 40-50k at the G if both sides are up and about again.

Having said that I don’t think the fixture is easy to do, I don’t like the clubs even get a say in it. They should not be allowed to request anything.

Melbourne started playing two games in NT in 2014.

It appears one SA team goes to the Alice, and a WA team goes to Darwin is the standard fixturing.

I assume WA teams get the Darwin game as the flight is basically the same as going WA to Melbourne...and Melbourne aren’t interested in requesting a home game against WC or Freo at the G.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne started playing two games in NT in 2014.

It appears one SA team goes to the Alice, and a WA team goes to Darwin is the standard fixturing.

I assume WA teams get the Darwin game as the flight is basically the same as going WA to Melbourne...and Melbourne aren’t interested in requesting a home game against WC or Freo at the G.

Fair enough as I don’t know the ins and outs of how these clubs do all this. But like I said it just seemed a strange fixture from the AFL considering the current landscape of Melbourne and West Coast sides. Melbourne and their big supporter base miss out on a big fixture which I just found stupid by the AFL but not surprising.

The fact that we are not playing Melbourne at the MCG is a disgrace. It was a disgrace last season when Adelaide, coming off a grand final, had to play in Alice.

This isn't 14 vs 17 its the reigning premier who is begging for more MCG time against a top 4 side.

Richmond played both it’s finals against other MCG tenants. West Coast had a very clear home ground advantage, the biggest in the comp, for it’s.
You’ve got your head in the sand if you think interstate sides aren’t at an advantage.
The solution to your problem of travel is to merge all Victorian clubs into 2 entities. Then you’d be complaining about how unfairly powerful they are and how the Eagles need yet more concessions.
West Australian entitlement is a thirst that can never be quenched.

Oh, and by the way, the chance of relocating the Grand Final to WA is about as likely and preposterous as relocating the Melbourne Cup.
Pull your head in - when you merged all the victorian kids into one club - state of origin - we and the sa mob held our own

Fair enough as I don’t know the ins and outs of how these clubs do all this. But like I said it just seemed a strange fixture from the AFL considering the current landscape of Melbourne and West Coast sides. Melbourne and their big supporter base miss out on a big fixture which I just found stupid by the AFL but not surprising.
Yeah it is the AFL trying to juggle multiple priorities.

When they do officially release the fixture and they get the club responses, there are varied issues covered. Plenty are focused on commercial details in relation to marquee slots, some worry about travel, some about how many six days breaks, some about home games against specific opponents, and some about how many MCG games they get.

Tis a tough act to balance the competing priorities.

Ultimately Perth to Darwin is the smallest travel variance compared to playing Melbourne in Melbourne, so assume that would be the reason for WA teams playing Darwin the most....they are going on a long flight no matter where the game is going to be played.

The fact that we are not playing Melbourne at the MCG is a disgrace. It was a disgrace last season when Adelaide, coming off a grand final, had to play in Alice.

This isn't 14 vs 17 its the reigning premier who is begging for more MCG time against a top 4 side.
Yep it is a disgrace that WC don’t get to hand pick where they play their away games.

How dare other clubs not take into consideration what might be best for the Eagles when putting in their own fixture requests.

Remove this Banner Ad

Adam Simpson meets with AFL to discuss the inequalities that interstate teams put up with

Remove this Banner Ad

Back