Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Staying for 2024, Lyon’s Cryin’

Will Simpson be Head Coach at WCE in 2024

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said it before and I'll say it again. If we don't see real changes to the gameplan then he's gone at the end of the year. I won't even be averse to missing the finals and keeping Simmo on so long as we see evidence of a modern gameplan, the development of youth, and the players being fully onboard the new direction.

If we see more of the same then thanks for the memories Simmo but you're gone.

I don't want a mid-year sacking though. We're not that kinda club.

I do question how quickly our players can absorb and adapt to new tactics after being hammered with the same style for years on end. In 2015 we pivoted very quickly, albeit the team was young and hungry with nothing to lose.

Swans were able to flick the offensive switch in 2021 off the back of Don Pykes influence.

Freo showed the results of 3 pre-seasons of learning the game plan, and looked good because of it.

Whatever we come up with it needs to be easily actionable by the old boys and the new, one last tilt style. If that's not possible then we're treading water and this is going to be a long year. I'm not putting a line through us yet, too early to judge us off a scratchie that I suspect we were just using to manage minutes.

Curiously, the Masto red wing thing was developed after the 2018 pre-season shellacking at the hands of Freo. So Simmo did go away and tinker with things after that game and you campaigners know what happened next.

I said it before and I'll say it again. If we don't see real changes to the gameplan then he's gone at the end of the year. I won't even be averse to missing the finals and keeping Simmo on so long as we see evidence of a modern gameplan, the development of youth, and the players being fully onboard the new direction.

If we see more of the same then thanks for the memories Simmo but you're gone.

I don't want a mid-year sacking though. We're not that kinda club.

Agreed on all counts.

Don't think we're going to gain anything from a mid-year sacking anyway, unless Alastair Clarkson says he wants to join us. One small blessing of the injury wave at the moment is that Simmo really has little to lose from trying different things - this crisis should force his hand.

If we are a serious finals contender then with our draw (GC (H), NM (A), Freo & Pies (A))you would be expecting a 3-1 start to the season at a minimum. After that our next 7 games we have Syd (H), Port (A), Rich (H), Bris (A), Melb (H), GWS (A) & WBD (H). No easy games in that group!

With our current injuries & initial lacklustre showing, it's a bit of a struggle to currently be optimistic about the upcoming season.

Since Simmo is contracted until 2024, would the club have to pay him out if they sack him before then?
If so, that would likely influence their decision.

The AFL put a new rule in that coaches can only be paid out the equivalent of 6 months after they had to give Brad Scott a job just so the Kangaroos didn't go bust, but I don't know if that applies to any of the extensions Simmo has signed.

The AFL put a new rule in that coaches can only be paid out the equivalent of 6 months after they had to give Brad Scott a job just so the Kangaroos didn't go bust, but I don't know if that applies to any of the extensions Simmo has signed.

Pretty sure that only applied to clubs that take AFL money.

Interesting about Simpson's record as coach. 62% puts him just below Malthouse's record at 64%, although that will likely go down if we tank badly this season.

7 wins and 5 losses in finals however 5 of those finals win came in the two years we made Grand Finals; in 2015 (2 wins) and 2018 (three wins). Other than those two seasons we haven't made Preliminary Finals. In his eight seasons as coach it's interesting to note we've only made top 4 twice which again was the two years mentioned 2015 & 2018.

Obviously the Premiership in 2018 weighs heavily for him but other than that I think we've massively underachieved as a club under his tenure. Will he survive his contract tenure until 2024? personally I don't think he deserves it unless we make finals this year. We need a fresh start under a new coach, Simpson seems resistant to change and last year in particular his team selection was a detrement to the team (referring to Brander, Rotham & Allen).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Credits in the bank?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So you are saying Simpson has been issued with a WCE Credit Card.

images.png

Very generous of the Board to offer such, as they are renowned for been financially astute, to the point of possibly being overtly frugal.

Wonder what the Interest rate is, because if he dose not keep making his 4 premiership game point repayments, the Interest of the fans will be at at a record low.

Wouldn't mind seeing Jarrad Schofield as our coach in the future.

Wouldn't mind seeing how the midfield go with him in charge first.

Schofield is only strategy and stoppages coach, overall midfield coach is Matthew Knights.

He was very successful in the WAFL (yes I know it was at Subiaco but still), so why not give him a crack after a few years under Simmo?

Because he might not be the best candidate.

Scott Watters was a good coach of Subiaco too.

Yeah fair call. I think Simmo will still be coaching for a few more years at least anyway, so by the time a new coach is needed there'll most likely be different candidates floating around that aren't now.

Yeah fair call. I think Simmo will still be coaching for a few more years at least anyway, so by the time a new coach is needed there'll most likely be different candidates floating around that aren't now.
Simmo has 3 years left on his contract (including this one). For him to get the sack, there would probably be two scenarios:
  1. Bottom 4 this year and then a terrible start next year - both that can clearly be blamed on coaching rather than injuries etc. Would probably see him gone by mid 2023
  2. Miss finals for the next three seasons with no sign of significant improvement, club then decides to grab a better candidate
If we suffer either of those scenarios, I'd much rather it be 1. Sitting mid table and missing finals for years would absolutely suck (look at Freo over the last 6 seasons).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back