Roast Adelaide are a pathetic joke

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: This weeks Neil Craig Master Class

Why did Craig feel the need to do a press conference to get his message across. It's not as if the supporters were beying for blood because a couple of blokes crossed the line and got looked at by the mrp.

This.

*puts journo hat on*

I really didn't see the need for that press conference. It was orchestrated supposedly for supporters. Why? I have no idea. It seemed ill-advised, and not really on brand-message, even. Craigy's role, apart from coaching, is to build Crows brand, and I can't really see that this succeeded in doing anything but diluting it. Everything else he says is on-message, so this was either frivolous and excessive or aimed at a specific someone ... who?

I'm not in Adelaide, so I don't know if this was directed to a subsection of Adelaide media, but if not ... it was a complete waste of time.

Agree - we didn't miss Tambling. We missed the hardness, toughness, passion, intensity and aggression at the ball and the man that we displayed 1 week ago.

Why did Craig feel the need to do a press conference to get his message across. It's not as if the supporters were beying for blood because a couple of blokes crossed the line and got looked at by the mrp. Most supporters were thrilled with the way we played last week. Why couldn't Craig have just had a quiet word to the guys in private - ie great presuure and intensity boys, just be a bit more disciplined. The orchestrated presser with examples from the match of "good toughness" and "bad toughness" was completely unneccesary and an absolute joke. It doesn't surprise me that our "young group" was second guessing how hard they attack the contest for fear of getting suspended.
:thumbsu: Couldn't agree more. I should have read the whole thread before I posted very similar thoughts to yours.

In this weeks Master Class NC could show soft tackling, not putting your head over the ball and players standing meekly by while one of your own (Dangerfield) gets his head drilled into the ground by a 2nd year player from the opposition. .

Deja Vu.

Same ground, same team. Different year.

So, It's Craig's fault they all turned into talentless ********s? Get real. The last thing we want is the payers taking responsibility for their pathetic effort.

This post shows a real lack of understanding of the game and the role of the senior coaching group.

FFS! What is the point of being "aggressive and desperate" if all it gets you is suspended. He specifically asked for the players to be intense and aggressive BUT DISCIPLINED!!

What is the problem with that?

Anyone? Please?

Neil Craig's version of disciplined is the problem.

Neil Craig's version of disciplined overrrides football smarts, guile, brains, aggression, and sticking up for teammates, among many other things.

Watching this club go through its paces these days makes me nauseous. We have the stench of Craig on us in every capacity.

I'm so sick of Craigy telling us what we want. So sick of it.

How about listening to what we want for a change Craigy?

This.

As somebody who has a lot of time for Craig, it pissed me off to see him give a press conference telling us what it is the fans want to see.

Craigy, we are the fans, don't bloody tell us what we want, especially when you're completely wrong.

I'm probably finally at the point where, if Craig went at the end of the year, I wouldn't be too upset.

How can he not realise that while he is right to focus on and hammer home the importance of process and discipline, it doesn't have to be at the expense of passion and aggression?

Why can't we have both?

This.

As somebody who has a lot of time for Craig, it pissed me off to see him give a press conference telling us what it is the fans want to see.

Craigy, we are the fans, don't bloody tell us what we want, especially when you're completely wrong.

I'm probably finally at the point where, if Craig went at the end of the year, I wouldn't be too upset.

How can he not realise that while he is right to focus on and hammer home the importance of process and discipline, it doesn't have to be at the expense of passion and aggression?

Why can't we have both?

He had the same attitude at Norwood Football Club.

But Pete - there's only so much a coach can do surely? Whilst many are blaming his mid-week clarification on what is acceptable aggression, do you honestly believe the players took from that talk "mustn't be aggressive AT ALL"? Yes I know that's how they played, but really?

Something went horribly wrong yesterday, no doubt. And yes, Craig must take responsibility for his part. But make no mistake, the players are the ones that should be hung drawn and quartered for that insipid, uninspiring fiasco.

This.

Why can't we have both?

We don't want them to attack the ball? We don't want them to do 1% ers? Of course we do! Every example he showed was highlighting the things that we do well (when we do them! :eek:). He didn't say we didn't want to see any of that.

Having said that, I can absolutely see your point on passion. That certainly seems lacking at the moment.

It is interesting though, that Craig himself is recognising that things aren't working right now - hence the peculiar (and very out of character) pressers he's given this last week.

But Pete - there's only so much a coach can do surely? Whilst many are blaming his mid-week clarification on what is acceptable aggression, do you honestly believe the players took from that talk "mustn't be aggressive AT ALL"? Yes I know that's how they played, but really?

Something went horribly wrong yesterday, no doubt. And yes, Craig must take responsibility for his part. But make no mistake, the players are the ones that should be hung drawn and quartered for that insipid, uninspiring fiasco.

I thought something was up when a certain player came out and said that Neil was training them too hard.

To me, this is when he truly lost the players.

Jenny, the coach was just as insipid, standing there and chewing on his gum and not trying anything because he is too bloody stubborn to do so.

Even if it isn't the oaches fault....it is. That's how it works. If our players are listless and uninspired and thus unable to complete the game plan....it still comes down to the head of the snake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought something was up when a certain player came out and said that Neil was training them too hard.

To me, this is when he truly lost the players.

Jenny, the coach was just as insipid, standing there and chewing on his gum and not trying anything because he is too bloody stubborn to do so.

Hang on, did you watch his movements for every minute of the game? How do you know he didn't do anything? :rolleyes: Shit that frustrates me. He made changes, moved Tippett into the ruck when Jacobs was getting absolutely slaughtered. He moved Sloane onto the ball. Not sure anything could have been done yesterday, given the way the entire team was playing.

I'm not convinced that he's lost the players YET.... but I'm not as stead-fast in my belief that he won't.

Hang on, did you watch his movements for every minute of the game? How do you know he didn't do anything? :rolleyes: Shit that frustrates me. He made changes, moved Tippett into the ruck when Jacobs was getting absolutely slaughtered. He moved Sloane onto the ball. Not sure anything could have been done yesterday, given the way the entire team was playing.

I'm not convinced that he's lost the players YET.... but I'm not as stead-fast in my belief that he won't.

You keep telling yourself the bolded part.

They certainly look it on the field.

so just so I understand

people are happy to lose by 100 points if all the players look like they are trying?

Of course not, I'd be extremely disappointed - but nowhere near as disappointed as I am with yesterday's match.

Getting your ass kicked by 16 goals sucks. Getting your ass kicked and not even raising a finger to stop it? That's abominable.

Also, there is a clear difference between "looking like" they're trying, and actually trying, and we're intelligent enough as supporters to know the difference. Sadly, we didn't even get the facsimile of an effort yesterday.

I just wanted one positive to take out of the match yesterday. One thing to make me feel better about the club. One thing to make me say, oh well, at least we had that going for us. There was literally nothing that I can think of. We were shown up in every single facet of the game, from skills, to intensity, to want for the ball, to fitness, to game plan, and everything in between. It was not a great side we were playing. There are not many people in the SANFL that we're missing that are actually coming back any time soon. Nothing.

I'm going to be at the game next weekend. I only get to go to a few games a year, and I haven't witnessed a Crows victory live since early 2008. At the moment, the only things I have to hang my hat on is "well at least it's only Gold Coast" and "they already had a win last week so they won't be so fired up".

You keep telling yourself the bolded part.

They certainly look it on the field.

They didn't last week though. Or against Carlton or Hawthorn. I expected unpredictable performances this year, mainly because of our young team. What I didn't expect was what our senior players dished up yesterday.

They didn't last week though. Or against Carlton or Hawthorn. I expected unpredictable performances this year, mainly because of our young team. What I didn't expect was what our senior players dished up yesterday.

They haven't played 3 let alone 4 quarters of football this year either.

There is something off at Crowland at the moment. You cannot attribute three of the worst Adelaide performances in recent times (out of six games for the year) on the players being young and inexperienced. IMO the three losses this year come down to player's attitude. Who's responsibility is this? Sure the players have responsibility for their own actions, however the question that needs to be asked is 'why is there an attitude problem?'.

Based on this year's performances, I'm not sure he hasn't already lost some of the players, and if all of the players are not on board, then we're just pissing into the wind!

We don't want them to attack the ball? We don't want them to do 1% ers? Of course we do! Every example he showed was highlighting the things that we do well (when we do them! :eek:). He didn't say we didn't want to see any of that.

Jenny, he showed them a spoil and picking up the ball off the ground.

Big deal - if they're examples of stellar efforts (which, after the weekend, they would be), then we're well and truly screwed.

Get out! He moved an onballer onto the ball??? With visionary moves like this it really is a wonder how Craig hasn't managed to snare a flag yet :eek:

Jesus Christ, next you'll be praising him for his ability to draw breath :thumbsdown:

I'm never sure what it means when a coach either "has the players" or "has lost the players". Does it mean the players do or don't believe in the game plan they're being taught? Somehow I can't buy into this notion that the players dislike the coach, so therefore they go out and don't try on the field. Like somehow they need a coach that they like and respect to actually put in a decent effort on the field.

You can fail to teach your kids the correct skills, but that's not "losing the players", that's just not doing your job correctly.

I'm not interested in cheap sentences about whether or not Craig has "lost the players". What I want to know is whether he has any answer to getting out of this hole we're in. Unlike others, I'm not putting it down to a dearth of talent. I agree with Craig that we've got a very exciting group of kids. I disagree that their relative inexperience excuses the kind of performance we saw yesterday. In the past, each time we've fallen into a hole, Craig has been able to find a way out of it. Not far enough out for my likings, mind you, but out nonetheless. At the moment, we seem to be slipping further into the hole every fortnight.

Jenny, he showed them a spoil and picking up the ball off the ground.

Big deal - if they're examples of stellar efforts (which, after the weekend, they would be), then we're well and truly screwed.
I couldn't believe it when he showed footage of a regulation fist of the ball over the boundary line by Doughty, and talked it up as some act of exemplary toughness :confused: Even more inexplicable is how the resident arsehats on here seem to have lapped up his dog and pony show.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Adelaide are a pathetic joke

Remove this Banner Ad

Back