News Adelaide Crows Camp Allegations and Rumors

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is this board so insistent on replying to everything? No wonder I don't post much, only here a bit as I’ve got Covid so not much else to do as I actually usually have a life outside BF. My point is he could’ve easily been shown in Carlton gear for these ads, but it seems that he still considers himself a Crows player maybe? Get it MAN?
Of coarse, and I’m not going at you personal Like. I hope you are recovering as well as can be. I just find a commercial opportunity not necessarily ones actual consideration. I love him, he’s a legend for both clubs.
I feel he’s been wronged by us, and the media. He wanted to promote his story. They swept it aside and wanted to bury us more.

From what I was told, Pyke is/was abrasive and negative in his constant feedback with the group. That was tolerated through '16/'17 because we were winning a lot, but even then he'd put a few players off side. From there we've got a GF loss the coaches pinned entirely on the players, Teague left (who guys like Betts and Jenkins loved), the camp + KangaTech misuse and our own fitness staff causing guys to get injured left right and centre to start 2018 and the final straw of CM being brought back (the Melbourne stare down game which we lost by almost 100) after it was promised they were done with them.

Pyke took feedback on board at the end of 2018 that he needed to ease up a bit, hence we got the "pre-season of fun!" in 2019, but then Campo took over more in dealing directly with the players and proceeded to be as negative as Pyke had been and nothing really changed.
My take, and it's not a popular one, is that Pyke is/was a competent coach, he just had the personality of a lobster. Not everybody can be a natural leader of men like a Blight or a Walsh. We should have employed some kind of players coach to act as an intermediary. A good cop to counter Pyke's bad cop. We didn't do that though. If anything it was the complete opposite. Pyke was surrounded by people just as abrasive as him. Tools like Campo and Burton only exacerbated the problem.

I think the issue for Olsen (and the club) is that, under the Club Constitution, it is actually very difficult for him to remove a sitting director (ie Roo). Basically, unless said director is found to be an unfit person (which is actually a very high bar at law), fails to turn up to a nominated number of meetings, or becomes bankrupt, mentally incapable, or is convicted of an indictable offence, then they cant do anything until such time as that director either resigns or their term ends (refer Rule 25 of the Constitution "Vacation of Office"). In the case of an elected director (ie one the AFL doesn't appoint), that is a period of 2 years from election. To this end, anyone remember when Roos was last elected?

Was re-elected this year. Think it is normally for 2 years.

Last edited:
My take, and it's not a popular one, is that Pyke is/was a competent coach, he just had the personality of a lobster. Not everybody can be a natural leader of men like a Blight or a Walsh. We should have employed some kind of players coach to act as an intermediary. A good cop to counter Pyke's bad cop. We didn't do that though. If anything it was the complete opposite. Pyke was surrounded by people just as abrasive as him. Tools like Campo and Burton only exacerbated the problem.
Yep. I'm guessing that's why a guy like Teague was loved because he was the one guy who was the opposite of that. Replaced him with Francou who I honestly don't know much about, but he certainly didn't seem to fit in at all.

Yep. I'm guessing that's why a guy like Teague was loved because he was the one guy who was the opposite of that. Replaced him with Francou who I honestly don't know much about, but he certainly didn't seem to fit in at all.
People thought Francou was onto us but he had a falling out with Dew up at Gold Coast as well. Maybe he's just a bit of a dick.

which could imply he was like Teague, however, the clash in style with Pyke forced him out.

Senior players wanting to hold onto their positions and careers as long as possible defines the majority of athletes late in their career, unless their body is crippled with injury. Of course they don’t want to lose their position to someone younger and possibly better than them, as it means their career might be finished. I’m sure there are the same complaints as yours on every other team board on here.
I'm sure it happens all the time at other clubs but it happens behind closed doors. Why is our dirty laundry always aired in public?

Every club gets hate mail.
Why does this one need to be pried open.
The investigation might not get that far if the people involved are all now gone. I'm really disappointed to hear that the club's response (at the time) was for Betts to ignore it and not mention it during his presser for Indigenous round.

Roo shouldn't be allowed to speak in public without the training and guidance of some PR person. Constantly says the wrong thing.
Club needed to give him an ultimatum about his media role back in 2019 when he told disgruntled supporters to piss off. I see he's learned nothing at all since then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So basically, based on the article:

True
  1. Only senior leaders were subjected to the "intense" psychological part of the camp
  2. There was a talking stick involved and it offended the indigenous players, then the club offended them further with their response
  3. There was unexpected lack of contact with family members, and players had to surrender their phones
  4. Club welfare staff weren't present
  5. Club doctor Mark Cesana wrote a report expressing concerns
  6. Players were tied to trees in exercise where they were abused while attempting to free themselves. Said abuse was personal and info was provided by the club
  7. Lynch had a medical issue and the camp failed to act with an appropriate duty of care
  8. Pyke and Campo were present with the "intense" group
False
  1. Tied to trees naked and/or made to touch other players inappropriately
  2. Abuse directed at Sam Jacobs about his brother. Jacobs wasn't in the "intense" group
  3. Richmond song blared on repeat (although this did happen at training on another occasion)
  4. Players outside the 10 listed were psychologically abused (the 10 being Betts, Gibbs, Walker, Sloane, Lynch, Jenkins, Douglas, M. Crouch, Hartigan and Talia)
So in a nutshell, it was bad, but not as ridiculous as some of the rumors, and the worst parts of the camp were limited to senior players

There are some pretty damning confirmations though. Pyke and Campo being the only staff members with the "intense" group is weird and it's no surprise they were sacked. Presumably they wanted this group to face this intense stuff and put the other coaches in with the other less intense groups

Also, who provided Collective Mind with the personal information that was then used to abuse the players? Was it Pyke, Campo or Burton?

However the impact also isn't as damaging for player retention as McClure wants to paint it to be. Betts and Jenkins were the only players in the "intense" group we moved on. Others like McGovern, Hampton, Jacobs, Greenwood etc. were presumably with the middle "weird camp" group. Conflating the departure of a player like McGovern with the camp is a big stretch given the article specifically says this group experience was "not nearly as intense"

The evidence also doesn't suggest the camp cooked all the players mentally. Players like Sloane, M. Crouch, Lynch and Talia were just fine in the years afterwards.
It also should be noted that the team started the season decently well at 6-3.

It wasn’t until a piss poor performance v Melbourne and subsequent losing streak that all of a sudden the camp reared its head.

If the camp was as destructive as is now alleged—It is remarkable that it didn’t effect them the first 2 months on the field. We would sign up for 6-3 out of the gate every single year.

I felt at the time—and still do—that the camp was a great way to shift focus from and provide cover for their really abysmal effort during that stretch of games.

As with most things—truth is somewhere in the middle.

But a good start to the season certainly doesn’t match up with the extreme damage some players now allege.

If you are damaged you are damaged from the get go—not just at the start of a losing streak—2 months into the season.

In my opinion, that game against Melbourne and the following poor effort the next week allowed them to use “camp” as way to pack it in during that stretch and for the remainder of the season.

Club needed to give him an ultimatum about his media role back in 2019 when he told disgruntled supporters to piss off. I see he's learned nothing at all since then.
Roo is an entitled prick who thinks he's more important than the club. Should do the correct thing and piss off to give us clear air.

So, once again we have the board putting themselves ahead of the club.

It's unfair on the current players, coaches and staff to have to still be copping the fallout from the camp. A rebuild is hard enough without having to deal with other people's ****ups.

It also should be noted that the team started the season decently well at 6-3.

It wasn’t until a piss poor performance v Melbourne and subsequent losing streak that all of a sudden the camp reared its head.

If the camp was as destructive as is now alleged—It is remarkable that it didn’t effect them the first 2 months on the field. We would sign up for 6-3 out of the gate every single year.

I felt at the time—and still do—that the camp was a great way to shift focus from and provide cover for their really abysmal effort during that stretch of games.

As with most things—truth is somewhere in the middle.

But a good start to the season certainly doesn’t match up with the extreme damage some players now allege.

If you are damaged you are damaged from the get go—not just at the start of a losing streak—2 months into the season.

In my opinion, that game against Melbourne and the following poor effort the next week allowed them to use “camp” as way to pack it in during that stretch and for the remainder of the season.

From memory just before the Melbourne game the club but CM back in again and that was the straw that broke the playing group - completely dropped the bundle v Melbourne and never recovered. It is hard to believe they persisted with CM when there were clear issues surrounding their work

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This guy getting slammed for bagging the club for being a failure and ignoring the AFLW
Lol and he has another piece bashing Collingwood... Based on the accompanying picture I'm thinking it's suggesting Port should be allowed to wear the bars because Collingwood are rubbish. Unbiased no doubt.

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

He is a rubbish writer. His political articles are blatant cheerleading, written with the maturity of a five year old, trying to get a rise out of the conservatives.

I couldn’t believe that headline when I saw it. I mean seriously. 2 flags from 3 Grand Finals. Another 4 preliminary finals. A bit of luck and you probably would be on 3 flags. No one would deny that there has been some underachievement (and every club could lay claim to underachieving or not maximising their “potential” at times). But that is just bizarre.

Edit: I see they also refer to Collingwood as failures. Ok… clearly they only have one act in their repertoire 😂

This guy getting slammed for bagging the club for being a failure and ignoring the AFLW

Not to mention there are only 5 clubs that have won more afl flags than us. I'll give him the last 4 years but before that we were regular finalists just unable to crack a flag since 98

Remove this Banner Ad

News Adelaide Crows Camp Allegations and Rumors

Remove this Banner Ad

Back