Adelaide's decline

Remove this Banner Ad

Walker is contracted next season on big money.
Why would he retire and walk away from the money.
Sloane is contracted for 3 more seasons on probably even bigger money, he is also captain.
How do you propose to “force him out” and why would he walk away from the money.
Tbf Walker would walk into a cushy media job. Could see him coming to an agreement with club.

Nup. They needed to pull the trigger on him last year when he was desperate to go to Gold Coast.The better outcome would have been to keep Greenwood and jettison Couch.
I wish had kept Greenwood but understood why they wouldnt. Gold Coast were never gonna offer better than 16 for him. Whether get pick 2 or 19 was worth gamble.

Jenkins at Geelong and Betts at Carlton, both still being payed to play by Adelaide.
Gibbs on big money in the sanfl and appears to have had his papers stamped.
Now Walker to be paid out in full for next season and Sloane to be subsidised at another club to the tune of about 500k a season for 3 more years !!
Young Reid ... what a mess ...
Gibbs not on big money.

Don't sleep on Hamill and Worrell potentially being better than Kennedy, De Konig, O'Brien in the Gibbs trade either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like rubbing it in (and we have had our fair share of **** ups), but early on is looking like picking Chayce Jones ahead of Zak Butters and Ned Mchenry ahead of Xavier Duursma is not looking the goods. Of course other players could be picked other than Port ones at those selections, but adding in Port managing to move up to get Rozee when both teams had similar draft capital means that 2018 draft could really hurt them if those 2 guys don't kick on in a big way.

They cannot be serious continuing top play guys like Hartigan though. Going the rebuild path, you surely cannot be playing guys like him (Mckay) etc?

Gibbs not on big money.

Don't sleep on Hamill and Worrell potentially being better than Kennedy, De Konig, O'Brien in the Gibbs trade either.

Was a pretty reasonable contract. Did the Crows re-negotiate?

You can throw in McGovern on that list given both second rounders Carlton traded came from the Gibbs trade. Put in McAdam for the Crows too.

Sounds like rubbing it in (and we have had our fair share of **** ups), but early on is looking like picking Chayce Jones ahead of Zak Butters and Ned Mchenry ahead of Xavier Duursma is not looking the goods. Of course other players could be picked other than Port ones at those selections, but adding in Port managing to move up to get Rozee when both teams had similar draft capital means that 2018 draft could really hurt them if those 2 guys don't kick on in a big way.

They cannot be serious continuing top play guys like Hartigan though. Going the rebuild path, you surely cannot be playing guys like him (Mckay) etc?
Yep - no arguments from me on the 2018 draft. The crows started the period with a better draft hand than port in terms of picks and just sat back and watched port move up the order by being bold and there was Rozee (who my port mates said before the draft was Ports 1st choice) - a super talented local kid. Duursma and Butters look good types too. I think Jones will get there to become a good AFL player by McHenry..meh, getting 5 touches a game and having no impact is a hard pill to swallow from a super draft.

But, it looks like those decisions will 'bear fruit' considering we are now in line to finish bottom this year and be well down for another few seasons :( so should have plenty of high picks to rectify the situation

Yep - no arguments from me on the 2018 draft. The crows started the period with a better draft hand than port in terms of picks and just sat back and watched port move up the order by being bold and there was Rozee (who my port mates said before the draft was Ports 1st choice) - a super talented local kid. Duursma and Butters look good types too. I think Jones will get there to become a good AFL player by McHenry..meh, getting 5 touches a game and having no impact is a hard pill to swallow from a super draft.

Jones will be okay long term. Not necessarily enough to justify a top 10 draft pick, but he'll be an AFL quality footballer at least.

McHenry was an absolute mare of a selection. I wouldn't want him at Port for pick 60, let alone pick 16. I've watched him play 5 and a half games now (missed the first half yesterday) and I haven't seen him even show glimpses of being AFL quality.

Jones will be okay long term. Not necessarily enough to justify a top 10 draft pick, but he'll be an AFL quality footballer at least.

McHenry was an absolute mare of a selection. I wouldn't want him at Port for pick 60, let alone pick 16. I've watched him play 5 and a half games now (missed the first half yesterday) and I haven't seen him even show glimpses of being AFL quality.

Mate we have the best recruiter in the AFL some bloke named Hamish

We are foxing the rest of the comp and have the best list going, we plan on tanking this year as its an asterix year and next year this outstanding list will win the flag

Havent you ever played poker

The only team they'll have any chance against at the moment would be North Melbourne.
We were the better team in general play for most of last night, just didn’t take our chances in the 3rd quarter. Saints were ultra efficient in their forward line too.

Essendon are missing Stringer, Shiel and Heppell who all carved us up in our game against them last season, so that should help this Sunday. Otherwise, yeah North are the only hope for a win at this stage. Even the worst team in history (Essendon’s depleted team after the drugs scandal) won a game, I saw enough last night to suggest a win will come at some stage.

The problem with those two right now is that Pyke refused to play them last season and cost them a year of finding their feet at this level. They’ve now had to come into the worst side we’ve fielded in our history and carry some of the underperforming senior players.

I have seen enough from both to suggest they can be quality players, but if these type of performances from them are still happening this time next year it’ll be a worry. They need to turn the flashes of quality into 4 quarter performances and that hopefully comes with more experience and a better performing cohort of senior players around them.

****ing off Matt Crouch would be a start. Hartigan a close 2nd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide's decline

Remove this Banner Ad

Back