Admin, Finance, Members, Ratings, Crowds, Policies - its the 2016 AFL v NRL v ARU v FFA v BBL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One good thing about the NRL GF day is that they telecast 3 games. The u20 game was amazing for the Roosters come from behind win. The state game was a one sided affair.
I'd like to see a curtain raiser game for the AFL GF.. Maybe organise the state leagues to finish earlier. VFL v WAFL premiers, & next year VFL v SANFL.
Just a thought.
Or the womens GF?! Although i think they plan on having their season finish earlier in the year as to not disrupt the local womens leagues as much.

AFL

2016AFLRatings_Finals.png

The full table of published ratings (sourced from the AFL, Mediaweek, TV Tonight, Regional TAM and other public sources) for the AFL is here. The Estimated total (with the gaps filled in based on accumulated data and averages) is here. The spreadsheet for the AFL season will be available once the regional and US data is in.

NRL

2016NRLRatings_Finals.png

The full table of published ratings (sourced from Mediaweek, TV Tonight, Regional TAM and other public sources) for the NRL is here. The Estimated total (with the gaps filled in based on accumulated data and averages) is here. The spreadsheet for the NRL will be available shortly.

AFL and NRL Finals Match Rankings

2016AFLNRLFinals.png

Very much Doubt a game before hand would 'rip the ground up'. The ground is in great nick & is well maintained. Also the players tend to wear the moulded sole footy shoe these days. Not like the old boots at all.
Wouldn't have thought so either but with the weather they were concerned enough to cancel part of the pre-game stuff I'm told. They are super paranoid about having the surface as pristine as possible

Wouldn't have thought so either but with the weather they were concerned enough to cancel part of the pre-game stuff I'm told. They are super paranoid about having the surface as pristine as possible

I think they are more paranoid about their view of marketing the GF 'package'. I think they forget that most people watch it for the football. Having a curtain raiser makes it more a footy day for the patrons & the TV audience. The NRL seem to get that. A decent game between state premiers (as I noted above) would add to the game day experience. It would still leave time for the marketing gurus to get their rocks off over some aging rockers ;)

I think they are more paranoid about their view of marketing the GF 'package'. I think they forget that most people watch it for the football. Having a curtain raiser makes it more a footy day for the patrons & the TV audience. The NRL seem to get that. A decent game between state premiers (as I noted above) would add to the game day experience. It would still leave time for the marketing gurus to get their rocks off over some aging rockers ;)

Which state premiers though?

Any chance you can update your season long tables for nrl and afl wookie with finals numbers and then internationals?

You do a league as well hey? Can you link me to where you post them (your have a website?). On the sydney fc forums they always have a tv ratings thread and its good fun.

Haven't heard much about the afl radio rights, but what I have heard is league supporters complaining so I assume its good for you guys.

Any chance you can update your season long tables for nrl and afl wookie with finals numbers and then internationals?

You do a league as well hey? Can you link me to where you post them (your have a website?). On the sydney fc forums they always have a tv ratings thread and its good fun.

Haven't heard much about the afl radio rights, but what I have heard is league supporters complaining so I assume its good for you guys.

website link is in my signature - footyindustry.com.
the perma-link for soccers season ratings in 2016-17 is here.

AFL radio rights recently were signed for what is believed to be double the previous amount at 10 million a year and gives greater radio coverage in the league states.

FFA welcomes Nine Network broadcast of Caltex Socceroos WCQ's

Wednesday, 5 October 2016 -
Staff writer

Football Federation Australia (FFA) has today welcomed the announcement that the Nine Network will broadcast the Caltex Socceroos’ two 2018 World Cup Qualifiers against Saudi Arabia and Japan over the coming week.
The Nine Network will provide a simulcast broadcast of the matches alongside Fox Sports, in a huge boost for football fans around Australia. The deal includes all remaining final stage 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers through to September 2017.

The Caltex Socceroos take on Saudi Arabia in Jeddah on Friday morning (4.45am AEDT) before flying home to play Asian Rivals Japan at Docklands Stadium in Melbourne on Tuesday night (kick off 8pm AEDT). Tickets for the clash are still available by clicking here.

“This is a great result for football, tremendous news for Socceroos fans around Australia,” said FFA CEO David Gallop. “We welcome the undeniable sports broadcast expertise of Channel Nine on board for what will be two massive games for the Socceroos in the road to the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

“The game against Saudi Arabia is a top of the table clash with both teams winning the first two World Cup Qualifiers and the match against Japan is one of the showpiece international matches in Asian Football.

“We have always stated our desire to have a commercial free to air network to work with Fox Sports in delivering football to the Australian public and this is a positive sign that football is valued highly by the commercial FTA networks.”

Ange Postecoglou’s men sit on top of Group B in final stage qualifying for the 2018 FIFA World Cup, in front of Saudi Arabia only on goal difference. It promises to be a massive clash in front of 65,000 fans in Jeddah.

The Caltex Socceroos will then fly to Melbourne to renew its rivalry with Japan at Docklands Stadium on Tuesday night (11 October).

http://www.socceroos.com.au/article...422e9094oyg11rhllm5lhpgv0#gPKRdcBfJa3oUe8D.99

Interesting development & timing given the suggestion the FFA should cede control of the A-League to the club owners.

"The A-League is entering its 12th season and domestic football is at a critical point," Di Pietro told a Victory in Business season-launching lunch.

"The clubs are finding their voices and challenging themselves and the FFA to find a better way forward for what is clearly the engine room of the game (the A League) in Australia."

It was a none too subtle hint that the A-League's 10 team owners are expecting Gallop and his negotiating team to not only gain an increase on the game's existing $40 million a year broadcast deal but ensure that a bigger share of it is channelled back into the clubs that underpin the game.

Di Pietro also stressed the importance of ensuring that the league is broadcast into as many homes as possible, making it clear that he and clubs believe that a strong deal with a free-to-air broadcaster or media platform that can deliver widespread coverage should be an important component of any new agreement.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...league-at-the-crossroads-20161005-grvgij.html

Last edited:
AFL

2016AFLRatings_Finals.png

The full table of published ratings (sourced from the AFL, Mediaweek, TV Tonight, Regional TAM and other public sources) for the AFL is here. The Estimated total (with the gaps filled in based on accumulated data and averages) is here. The spreadsheet for the AFL season will be available once the regional and US data is in.

NRL

2016NRLRatings_Finals.png

The full table of published ratings (sourced from Mediaweek, TV Tonight, Regional TAM and other public sources) for the NRL is here. The Estimated total (with the gaps filled in based on accumulated data and averages) is here. The spreadsheet for the NRL will be available shortly.

AFL and NRL Finals Match Rankings

2016AFLNRLFinals.png
The AFL finals aren't broadcast into NZ, at all?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting development & timing given the suggestion the FFA should cede control of the A-League to the club owners.

"The A-League is entering its 12th season and domestic football is at a critical point," Di Pietro told a Victory in Business season-launching lunch.

"The clubs are finding their voices and challenging themselves and the FFA to find a better way forward for what is clearly the engine room of the game (the A League) in Australia."

It was a none too subtle hint that the A-League's 10 team owners are expecting Gallop and his negotiating team to not only gain an increase on the game's existing $40 million a year broadcast deal but ensure that a bigger share of it is channelled back into the clubs that underpin the game.

Di Pietro also stressed the importance of ensuring that the league is broadcast into as many homes as possible, making it clear that he and clubs believe that a strong deal with a free-to-air broadcaster or media platform that can deliver widespread coverage should be an important component of any new agreement.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...league-at-the-crossroads-20161005-grvgij.html

Reads like a circlejerk article without the statistics that back it up. You know, the kind that if were written about the AFL you'd repost accompanied with some obtuse dribble inferencing something about spin.

Reads like a circlejerk article without the statistics that back it up. You know, the kind that if were written about the AFL you'd repost accompanied with some obtuse dribble inferencing something about spin.

Bit high brow for you? Goes to the financial structure of the major sports, the overarching body and the individual clubs, the media money that underwrites the AFL & NRL but not the FFA. The Victory chairman putting the case for an EPL style arrangement not the traditional Aussie sport model favoured by David Gallop.
Anything but spin IF you understand.

Bit high brow for you? Goes to the financial structure of the major sports, the overarching body and the individual clubs, the media money that underwrites the AFL & NRL but not the FFA. The Victory chairman putting the case for an EPL style arrangement not the traditional Aussie sport model favoured by David Gallop.
Anything but spin IF you understand.
High brow!!! You think that is high brow, wow.

Let me summarise it for you, as clearly its gone under you.

Key points.
He wants the FFA to make more money (we are dealing with a financial wizz here).
He is telling the FFA to, and I quote 'find a better way'.
He is saying the club's beleive the financially prudent thing to do is to give the club's more money. Consider me shocked, a club president saying something like that.
He wants widespread free to air exposure, obviously we have an out of the box high brow thinker here.
Underpinned by the extra money they are getting from a deal they have not been able to do yet.

Let's ignore that some of them are mutually exclusive. That getting wide spread coverage on a main subsidiary channel likely gets them less than an exclusive with Fox.

And better way? What a laugh. Do you know why he didn't offer up a suggestion as to what that would be, because he doesn't have one.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

High brow!!! You think that is high brow, wow.

Let me summarise it for you, as clearly its gone under you.

Key points.
He wants the FFA to make more money (we are dealing with a financial wizz here).
He is telling the FFA to, and I quote 'find a better way'.
He is saying the club's beleive the financially prudent thing to do is to give the club's more money. Consider me shocked, a club president saying something like that.
He wants widespread free to air exposure, obviously we have an out of the box high brow thinker here.
Underpinned by the extra money they are getting from a deal they have not been able to do yet.

Let's ignore that some of them are mutually exclusive. That getting wide spread coverage on a main subsidiary channel likely gets them less than an exclusive with Fox.

And better way? What a laugh. Do you know why he didn't offer up a suggestion as to what that would be, because he doesn't have one.

You referring to Gallop or Mr Di Pietro as He ?
and
(we are dealing with a financial wizz here)
and
an out of the box high brow thinker here

Give you a heads up on Mr Di Pietro courtesy of Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Di_Pietro

The better away referred to is the EPL/British soccer model, perhaps its your lack of understanding in play.

Does the better way have application in the AFL & NRL going forward?

and
and

The better away referred to is the EPL/British soccer model, perhaps its your lack of understanding in play.

Sorry, but you are indecipherable at the best of times, you gotta do better if you want your points discussed.

It is actually Roy Masters esque.

and
and

He sells fruit and veg?

He sells fruit and veg?
He does but to be fair so did Geelong Prez Frank Costa

I thought the article was OK - sure he wants more money, who doesn't. But I think he wants more money regardless of the deal - i.e. change the distribution. Again, thats common - the AFL is also struggling to carve out an admittedly much bigger pie.

I don't mind Michael Lynch's articles. Mike Cockerill on the other hand, who rights mostly for the SMH, usually writes long winded pieces based on whats in his head, with no facts or quotes.

One final thing though regarding the TV rights - getting content on FTA may cost them if Fox loses their exclusivity. Personally, I think they should forgo some revenue and go for FTA - With the digital channels now, I am sure 9 or 7 would show it live on a secondary channel...

Be interesting to see how Optus deals with the FFA given the below:

http://www.news.com.au/technology/h...e/news-story/a62fbb6a9d2dacd85d7eb9d5d1fb14e4

I know a lot of people were at least banking on Optus providing some competition to Fox, but i'd be surprised if they were going to put up serious money for the A-League if the EPL has been such a flop.

Exclusive negotiating period went by for the FFA ratings and they are now open to general bidding, either Fox didnt offer enough, or didnt offer the FTA component that the FFA desperately wants. If its the latter, Optus might have a crack to try to further boost its subscriber base, but Fox have last rights on this too.

Exclusive negotiating period went by for the FFA ratings and they are now open to general bidding, either Fox didnt offer enough, or didnt offer the FTA component that the FFA desperately wants. If its the latter, Optus might have a crack to try to further boost its subscriber base, but Fox have last rights on this too.
Surely Gallop will not gamble with Optus...

and
and

Firstly, I am judging what he said, not who he is. I do not care who he is. What he said does not amount to a plan, high brow or otherwise, it isn't even a plan to have a plan.

Secondly, I am aware of the desire to have an epl type model for soccer in Australia. Personally hope they go for it, I think it will break them. Quite a few on FourFourTwo agree with me.

The model there is based on clubs that earn more than the entire afl spreading cash around, and basically funding lower leagues through player transfers. These lower league clubs are also based in communities where soccer is overwhelmingly the dominant sport

So bring on the better way, promote state league teams to the A league and watch the league choke trying to keep them competitive, and demoted clubs solvent.

Firstly, I am judging what he said, not who he is. I do not care who he is. What he said does not amount to a plan, high brow or otherwise, it isn't even a plan to have a plan.

Secondly, I am aware of the desire to have an epl type model for soccer in Australia. Personally hope they go for it, I think it will break them. Quite a few on FourFourTwo agree with me.

The model there is based on clubs that earn more than the entire afl spreading cash around, and basically funding lower leagues through player transfers. These lower league clubs are also based in communities where soccer is overwhelmingly the dominant sport

So bring on the better way, promote state league teams to the A league and watch the league choke trying to keep them competitive, and demoted clubs solvent.

Good to see you put your fingers into gear.

The TV money/club dividend issue is live in all the major sports & the A-League will lead IF there is to be change.

As for the general issues, attendance at the Sydney derby this weekend will be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back