Admin, Finance, Members, Ratings, Crowds, Policies - its the 2016 AFL v NRL v ARU v FFA v BBL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if thats the case, one crowd makes the season then?

I am interested in the A-League support. people mention getting an A-league team in tas to pressure the AFL. I dont support that sort of view. I mean the figures really show the picture. If they get 9k in Perth or 9k in Newcastle which is has a larger ethnic base than Tassie, then what sort of solid support would it get in Tassie? 5k max?
A-legue failed in Townsville & GC so what hope anywhere else for any sort of expansion?
no teams like victory get a few good crowds through out the season, but the first few rounds of the a league always seem to attract larger crowds then they seem to drop away, maybe due to the BBL

cant comment about the soccer in Tassie, but a a soccer team in Townsville was never going to work, the place to to bogan! Its Mullets & Land cruiser territory , NRL town through and through

no teams like victory get a few good crowds through out the season, but the first few rounds of the a league always seem to attract larger crowds then they seem to drop away, maybe due to the BBL

cant comment about the soccer in Tassie, but a a soccer team in Townsville was never going to work, the place to to bogan! Its Mullets & Land cruiser territory , NRL town through and through

Townsville lost its NBL team as well.

Really if anywhere is going to get a soccer crowd its Western Sydney or Melbourne. I recon if the A-League is to expand it will be Sydney 3 & Melbourne 3. Nowhere else has enough of the sort of ethnic groups who would watch it. I think anyone would watch the socceroos. They are a national team. But A-League is a 4th rate product so it will struggle except for those types who like singing & smoke at their sports.

Well if thats the case, one crowd makes the season then?

I am interested in the A-League support. people mention getting an A-league team in tas to pressure the AFL. I dont support that sort of view. I mean the figures really show the picture. If they get 9k in Perth or 9k in Newcastle which is has a larger ethnic base than Tassie, then what sort of solid support would it get in Tassie? 5k max?
A-legue failed in Townsville & GC so what hope anywhere else for any sort of expansion?
Tassie has been talking of a team for years, mainly in the gospel when the AFL was expanding. I personally think its a ploy from locals in the apple isle to get the AFL to wake up. If you don't give us an AFL team we'll back A-League 110%. Would be great for Tassie to get a pro team in any code but Soccer heartlands deserve one first like Wollongong which Id love to see the Wolves return to the top flight. WIN Stadium is perfect too for the A-League.

9K in Perth was good in the heavy rain and then you have Newcastle which has been a basket case for so long off field which is such a shame from a strong soccer town. Have a solid core which is a positive.

Remember a H & A A-League game is well down the pecking order for the vast majority of soccer afficionardos - the growth of the A-League interests me because it is so different to the AFL or NRL, soccer has so many followers that turn their nose up (seemingly) at the local product, but soccer is their footy code. Currently in Melbourne the FFA are running ads to try & get soccer fans to pick a team.

Euro snobs...... People who are obesest with comparing A-League to Premier League, Bundesliga etc etc. End of the day, A-League is my local league. I love the sport, Ill go along and support it and have done since day dot.

We in Australia are spoilt in that we get the premium product from AFL, that we have the NRL one of the top two League comps in the world, if not the top league in the world with the Super League in England second. If I want to watch the best of the best I can rock up at the MCG/AAMI Park and purchase a ticket to see them. Expectations are to high for the A-League by these Eurosnobs and this is where it starts to break down. They want to rock up to AAMI Park or Etihad and see world class football. But its not the same as the AFL/NRL. We don't have the money in Australia for that. But with what we have and what we dish up is pretty decent league and entertaining at that. Somehow Wanderers even became the best team in Asia. Even if it was down to a Japanese reff who saw nothing all night.

Try telling a Eurosnob that the current Socceroos squad is made up with majority A-League developed players they wont believe you then go into complete defensive mode.

Townsville lost its NBL team as well.

Really if anywhere is going to get a soccer crowd its Western Sydney or Melbourne. I recon if the A-League is to expand it will be Sydney 3 & Melbourne 3. Nowhere else has enough of the sort of ethnic groups who would watch it. I think anyone would watch the socceroos. They are a national team. But A-League is a 4th rate product so it will struggle except for those types who like singing & smoke at their sports.
Not sure about a third Melbourne team given City are the very poor cousin to Victory. A third Sydney team could be a goer - but that would make it 5 teams in NSW - and Central Coast is on its knees - a relocation maybe? I am note sure Adelaide and Perth can generate the numbers for a second team (again look at Melbourne City). Gold Coast also failed miserably - maybe Brisbane two but they also get pretty poor average crowds. I really have no idea where the FFA will go with this. Wellington could be on the chopping block due to FIFA/AFC requirements as well...

Not sure about a third Melbourne team given City are the very poor cousin to Victory. A third Sydney team could be a goer - but that would make it 5 teams in NSW - and Central Coast is on its knees - a relocation maybe? I am note sure Adelaide and Perth can generate the numbers for a second team (again look at Melbourne City). Gold Coast also failed miserably - maybe Brisbane two but they also get pretty poor average crowds. I really have no idea where the FFA will go with this. Wellington could be on the chopping block due to FIFA/AFC requirements as well...

Central Coast have property which keeps them well off financially now it's developed. They are a small community club. No issues with them in the league. Rumours surfacing too that they might be interested in purchasing Central Coast Stadium.

Agree that a 3rd Melbourne team would be stupid. Victory are a juganort in Melbourne and then you have City treading water. Hate to see what a 3rd team would be like.

Wellington need a smaller venue. Much like they used during the Cricket World Cup. FIFA have constantly approved Wellington being in the A-League. The AFC on the other hand but we all know the rubbish that comes from the AFC. Lot of talk and nothing else.

Expansion clubs would be Canberra, Wollongong as a must. Then we start to hit road blocks. For me Auckland City at Mt Smart Stadium. Bring a kiwi derby into it. Not only would it boost interest across the ditch, it gives the Nix fans something to get revved up for.
Gold Coast possibly if they do it right this time, WSW style. Possibility Ipswich west of Brisbane then even Geelong.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/medi...-mobiles-before-december-20161009-gryk8f.html

However, the app puts Freeview in direct conflict with several sporting codes, including the AFL and Cricket Australia, which hold a tight grip on their digital streaming rights or have sold them to telcos for a significant price.

NRL games will be available for free on mobile phones through the Freeview app from 2018, because Nine acquired digital streaming rights last year. But AFL fans will have to pay for Telstra's live mobile app because the telco has tied up digital streaming rights until 2022.

Cricket Australia holds the digital rights for both Big Bash League and international matches, but Ten and Nine have television broadcast rights.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...fluence-funding-from-ffa-20161010-grz1ws.html

The annual cheque of $2.6 million from the FFA to each club is not solely comprised from broadcast money, but also sponsorship – such as the competition's naming rights partner, Hyundai – collective A-League merchandise revenue and finals series ticketing. These related competition revenue streams are the basis of the united argument from the clubs that they deserve an increase in funding.

The owners are also calling for an end to the centralised revenue pool for merchandise which sees some clubs receive as little as $6 for the sale of a $120 replica jersey.

Serious? The A-League will lead?

The FFA/A-League may be forced into a governance structure more like a european soccer league / association where the professional league operates as a separate entity to the broader governing body....there is no "lead", that is ridiculous
...:rolleyes:
Good for you that your sport in this country has taken some baby steps but don't embarrass yourself little fella

IF there is a change to the way that the central body doles out the money, yes, soccer will lead IMHO & it will be the A-League private money that drives it.

It is unlikely to happen soon, but Steve Lowy has shown he is open to persuasion:
Sources suggest FFA chairman Steven Lowy is open to negotiating a new governance structure with the 10 A-League owners including providing them more influence and additional member status. Alongside chief executive David Gallop, Lowy is scheduled to negotiate the proposed new governance structure of the competition with the clubs on Wednesday in Melbourne.

Despite expressing his willingness to relax financial constraints, Lowy confirmed clubs will not be given any representation at board level during a speech at Sydney FC's season launch last week.

The series of meetings take place during a week that could define the future of the game in Australia. FFA commenced formal negotiations with free-to-air networks and other potential broadcasters this month as the A-League kicked off with a record attendance for the Sydney derby, the Socceroos host Japan in a match televised on Channel Nine for the first time before the Melbourne derby takes place on Saturday night.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...fluence-funding-from-ffa-20161010-grz1ws.html

So Noobs I do appreciate your illinformed advice, just another AFL cheerleader battling to discuss the bigger picture.

IF there is a change to the way that the central body doles out the money, yes, soccer will lead IMHO & it will be the A-League private money that drives it.

It is unlikely to happen soon, but Steve Lowy has shown he is open to persuasion:
Sources suggest FFA chairman Steven Lowy is open to negotiating a new governance structure with the 10 A-League owners including providing them more influence and additional member status. Alongside chief executive David Gallop, Lowy is scheduled to negotiate the proposed new governance structure of the competition with the clubs on Wednesday in Melbourne.

Despite expressing his willingness to relax financial constraints, Lowy confirmed clubs will not be given any representation at board level during a speech at Sydney FC's season launch last week.

The series of meetings take place during a week that could define the future of the game in Australia. FFA commenced formal negotiations with free-to-air networks and other potential broadcasters this month as the A-League kicked off with a record attendance for the Sydney derby, the Socceroos host Japan in a match televised on Channel Nine for the first time before the Melbourne derby takes place on Saturday night.

So Noobs I do appreciate your illinformed advice, just another AFL cheerleader battling to discuss the bigger picture.

This might become a serious issue for the FFA, Lowy might be making reassuring noises to the club owners, but he isn't going to let go of the A-League to quickly because the FFA is currently using A-League revenues to run the rest of soccer (which is what the owners are bitter about).

In terms of where the A-League is heading, best to leave such conclusions until we know what the TV deal is. If it falls well short of the $80 mill per annum they are all hoping for, I can't see a whole lot changing.

So Noobs I do appreciate your illinformed advice, just another AFL cheerleader battling to discuss the bigger picture.[/QUOTE]

Its they same every year they get a few good crowds at the start of the season and someone predicts that they are going to be the # 1 code and then they fall away when summer hits

I dosent look like a sellout tonight at Docklands or should I say the AFL stadium (Oh the irony!) Im surprised that they didnt bring the boundries in to make it a rectangle configuration for the soccer tonight.
Soccer is and will be for a long time the poor relation of the other football codes in Australia
Even if they get $80 million from the TV deal its light years away from what the AFL and NRL get.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still a long way of the 56,347 capacity and I dont think the AFL will be tweeting glowing comments about the soccer when they fully own the stadium.
Everyone seems to think the AFL will do the dirty on the A-league when they take control, do not see it myself. AFL will get its pick of use, but outside of that I think not much will change, they will run it as a business.

Everyone seems to think the AFL will do the dirty on the A-league when they take control, do not see it myself. AFL will get its pick of use, but outside of that I think not much will change, they will run it as a business.

I haven't really heard that- although I ageee with your post, the AFL will seek as much business as possible for the stadium.

More than possible that soccer will seek to leave Etihad and blame the AFL and get the soccer loons fired up.

TBH I am not even sure why they use it.

Breaking news, Lowy has shown he is susceptible to pressure and can cave at any moment. Clubs chasing more say and more money, shock horror.

Not all change is evolution cheerleader, sometimes its devolution, as in this case. They will get away with it if they get enough cash from broadcasts, otherwise they have a problem. With the A - league wanting more control of the money, and the FFA not having a large alternative source, something will have to give. The FFA launched a grand plan for total domination of sport in this country just last year, a very expensive grand plan, funded by the money the A league club bosses want back. How is that going to work out cheerleader.

Its they same every year they get a few good crowds at the start of the season and someone predicts that they are going to be the # 1 code and then they fall away when summer hits

I dosent look like a sellout tonight at Docklands or should I say the AFL stadium (Oh the irony!) Im surprised that they didnt bring the boundries in to make it a rectangle configuration for the soccer tonight.
Soccer is and will be for a long time the poor relation of the other football codes in Australia
Even if they get $80 million from the TV deal its light years away from what the AFL and NRL get.[/QUOTE]

No argument Gamer, my comments relate to the financial models that run the various codes.

Breaking news, Lowy has shown he is susceptible to pressure and can cave at any moment. Clubs chasing more say and more money, shock horror.

Not all change is evolution cheerleader, sometimes its devolution, as in this case. They will get away with it if they get enough cash from broadcasts, otherwise they have a problem. With the A - league wanting more control of the money, and the FFA not having a large alternative source, something will have to give. The FFA launched a grand plan for total domination of sport in this country just last year, a very expensive grand plan, funded by the money the A league club bosses want back. How is that going to work out cheerleader.

My comments relate to the financial models that underpin the codes, so if you are interested in the murmurings of David Gallop, make your own arrangements. Didn't Gallop make similar claims whilst at the NRL?

Who was it made it difficult getting an A-League Grand Final date locked in ?
Who was it wanted Subi locked away as a finals venue?

There will be challenges ...

Although the AFL always had priority and will continue to have priority.

One change I can foresee is that the next time one of the Melbourne teams trash a few hundred seats, how forgiving will the AFL be?

Who was it made it difficult getting an A-League Grand Final date locked in ?
Who was it wanted Subi locked away as a finals venue?

There will be challenges ...

There will not be challenges if people make the right bookings and understand contractual rights. Neither of which the Aleague did for its Grand Final.

Throw the Aleague Grand Final crap all you like, but the fact is the AFL had a contract that allowed it to fixture its games when it wanted during the season - something that had only been fact for 15 years or so.

Wanting Subiaco locked away as a finals venue was a question of fixturing flexibility - of benefit to the Western Australian sides more so than the AFL, and Ill note the AFL didnt go on and on about it or threaten to try and get the state to force a private company to hand over the stadium for its use - as the ALeague did both during the world cup and the grand final bull shit- and Ill also note that the Union test was moved almost immediately afterward to nib stadium for some reason.

Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back