Admin, Finance, Members, Ratings, Crowds, Policies - its the 2016 AFL v NRL v ARU v FFA v BBL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to see you put your fingers into gear.

The TV money/club dividend issue is live in all the major sports & the A-League will lead IF there is to be change.

As for the general issues, attendance at the Sydney derby this weekend will be interesting.

Serious? The A-League will lead?

The FFA/A-League may be forced into a governance structure more like a european soccer league / association where the professional league operates as a separate entity to the broader governing body....there is no "lead", that is ridiculous

Seriously, the only reason soccer has made the modest gains it has in this country is to the extent that the "powers that be" in the game have followed the example of the successful sports in this country. It is when the delusional like this poster get their sway that things head south

What would be interesting about the attendance at the Sydney Derby? That it will be the largest they'll ever get? I went to a Victory versus Sydney FC game a decade ago that got about 50,000 at Etihad...they have not got near that again...10 years on and you have a couple of derby rivalries in the two big cities that occasionally get similar crowds.

Good for you that your sport in this country has taken some baby steps but don't embarrass yourself little fella

Good to see you put your fingers into gear.

The TV money/club dividend issue is live in all the major sports & the A-League will lead IF there is to be change.

As for the general issues, attendance at the Sydney derby this weekend will be interesting.

Sure it will. Wait. How?

Just heard a figure of 61,880, that's definitely an A-League home and away record.
Well the previous record was for a Melbourne Victory Grand Final which was at Etihad - about 55k so obviously a sell out. Who knows how high that could have gone. I am not sure if the A-league was expecting more than 61k...I watched the telecast on Fox and they kept mentioning up to 70k. Its really only a touch more than the 60k for the Swans v Giants Qualifying Final.

Fox figures will be interesting...

Eagles dominating all comers in the Western Digital Landscape
57f85eb1d1f7c_getimagecontent_1_1bvgnld-1bvgnlh.jpg

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/s...re-ahead-of-the-game-with-social-media/#page1

Self-proclaimed kings of the big game, the West Coast Eagles have now emerged as kings of the new game after taking out the 2016 digital premiership.

A digital analysis of website properties held by WA’s major sporting brands revealed the Eagles were heavier online hitters than rivals Fremantle, Perth Glory, Perth Wildcats, Western Force and West Coast Fever.

Well the previous record was for a Melbourne Victory Grand Final which was at Etihad - about 55k so obviously a sell out. Who knows how high that could have gone. I am not sure if the A-league was expecting more than 61k...I watched the telecast on Fox and they kept mentioning up to 70k. Its really only a touch more than the 60k for the Swans v Giants Qualifying Final.

Fox figures will be interesting...
Sat STV #ALeague #FoxSports #WELvMCY 80k
Sat STV #ALeague #FoxSports #SydneyDerby 142k
Sat STV #ALeague #FoxSports #PERvCCM 60k

Pretty soft figures...would have expected the Derby to get around 200k

Meanwhile...

Sat TV #VASC #Bathurst1000 #TEN Shootout 551k Preview 352k Support 310k
Sat STV #VASC #Bathurst1000 #FoxSports Top10 Shootout 221k Supports 148k

Sat STV #ALeague #FoxSports #WELvMCY 80k
Sat STV #ALeague #FoxSports #SydneyDerby 142k
Sat STV #ALeague #FoxSports #PERvCCM 60k

Pretty soft figures...would have expected the Derby to get around 200k

Why? I doubt that outside a grand final any A-League game has drawn 200k on Fox. Pretty sure even 100k is rare.

For the A-League, they're good numbers. They'll all go to shit when the BBL starts of course, but for the moment I reckon they'd be happy.

Why? I doubt that outside a grand final any A-League game has drawn 200k on Fox. Pretty sure even 100k is rare.

For the A-League, they're good numbers. They'll all go to shit when the BBL starts of course, but for the moment I reckon they'd be happy.

True, if you aren't gonna get 120k in a weekend when there's bugger all on, you aren't ever going to get it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The impressive rating for me is the Wellington v City match. 80k. A Wellington home game always struggles with ratings but not only that, the 5pm Saturday twilight match never rates well.

Doesn't seem like much but it's all positive for the league. Starting with a bang is always a big risk but I think its worked.

Big week in Melbourne with Docklands hosting World Cup Qualifier on Tuesday night then Melbourne Derby on Saturday night. Socceroos match live on 9GO in prime time so will be great to see how it rates.

Yes, well I wasn't aware quite how low the STV figures usually are. You'd think the biggest H&A soccer match in Australia in recent memory would attract a couple of hundred thousand TV viewers Australia wide! Then again...maybe they were all at the game...

The impressive rating for me is the Wellington v City match. 80k. A Wellington home game always struggles with ratings but not only that, the 5pm Saturday twilight match never rates well.

Cahill's first A-League match and being on immediately before the Sydney derby might have had something do with it. I doubt many were interested in watching the Wells.

Cahill's first A-League match and being on immediately before the Sydney derby might have had something do with it. I doubt many were interested in watching the Wells.
Cahill didn't play. He is on national duty. Also half Wellingtons team was on Kiwi national duty.

Cahill didn't play. He is on national duty. Also half Wellingtons team was on Kiwi national duty.

I'd agree 80k for a nix game is pretty good (especially in the context you've given).

Most of last year, the majority of nix games bumped around the 30k mark.

However, October is often the month when all footy fans (AFL and NRL) are craving for anything to watch, and the A-League should be, and is, the beneficiary.

Doesn't the a league start of with a heap.of hype every season then dies off

Well if thats the case, one crowd makes the season then?

I am interested in the A-League support. people mention getting an A-league team in tas to pressure the AFL. I dont support that sort of view. I mean the figures really show the picture. If they get 9k in Perth or 9k in Newcastle which is has a larger ethnic base than Tassie, then what sort of solid support would it get in Tassie? 5k max?
A-legue failed in Townsville & GC so what hope anywhere else for any sort of expansion?

Yes, well I wasn't aware quite how low the STV figures usually are. You'd think the biggest H&A soccer match in Australia in recent memory would attract a couple of hundred thousand TV viewers Australia wide! Then again...maybe they were all at the game...

Remember a H & A A-League game is well down the pecking order for the vast majority of soccer afficionardos - the growth of the A-League interests me because it is so different to the AFL or NRL, soccer has so many followers that turn their nose up (seemingly) at the local product, but soccer is their footy code. Currently in Melbourne the FFA are running ads to try & get soccer fans to pick a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back