Admin, Finance, Members, Ratings, Crowds, Policies - its the 2016 AFL v NRL v ARU v FFA v BBL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
2016-17socceroosratings.png

2018WCRatings.png

356,000 for a major world cup qualifier in prime time....oh my :(

That shant help with the TV rights negotiations I suspect

I saw the figures this morning and thought the FFA would have been reasonably satisfied with those numbers. Then it turns out it was signficantly down compared to the same game in 2013:

And i'd imagine compared to what it would have been in the late 00's when Socceroos hype was at it's peak it would have been massively down. It shows you how far they've fallen - I remember not long ago they were being spruiked as our most popular national team. Meanwhile cricket can get a million plus for some meaningless rubbish game. When you think about it, a game against our biggest rivals (at least in Asia) getting about half the TV audience of a standard big bash game on TV is pretty shit.

You forgot to add the 227k for Foxsports which is 583k total - a respectable if not amazing number.

Respectable is very debatable. This is a prime time world cup qualifier against the major Asian rival...

The 227,000 foxtel figure is pretty poor really for a prime time WCQ against Japan

I saw the figures this morning and thought the FFA would have been reasonably satisfied with those numbers. Then it turns out it was signficantly down compared to the same game in 2013

I guess being two years out from the next WC instead of one might be a factor? Less hype maybe.

I guess being two years out from the next WC instead of one might be a factor? Less hype maybe.

Maybe, but I would have thought the world cup hype doesn't build up until about a month away from the world cup. Whether it's 12 or 18 months away wouldn't make a lot of difference.

I guess it's also partly due to simply qualifying isn't seen as the achievement it once was. It's not like the old days where we had to beat Argentina or Uruguay, nowadays we just have to get some wins against a few third world or middle eastern countries and we're just about there.

There will not be challenges if people make the right bookings and understand contractual rights. Neither of which the Aleague did for its Grand Final.

Throw the Aleague Grand Final crap all you like, but the fact is the AFL had a contract that allowed it to fixture its games when it wanted during the season - something that had only been fact for 15 years or so.

Wanting Subiaco locked away as a finals venue was a question of fixturing flexibility - of benefit to the Western Australian sides more so than the AFL, and Ill note the AFL didnt go on and on about it or threaten to try and get the state to force a private company to hand over the stadium for its use - as the ALeague did both during the world cup and the grand final bull shit- and Ill also note that the Union test was moved almost immediately afterward to nib stadium for some reason.

Go figure.

You don't rate the code wars ...

It is still "new" to Ch.9 and was also not on their primary channel. think that would be the main differences from this game to others. i also dont know how many people knew it was on, live, on FTA. i didnt know about the Saudi Arabia game till 70 mins in. not having a consistent schedule doesnt help.

As well as all that, it was very early on in the final stage of qualifiers and so media hype hasnt reached peak yet.

It will take a while for FTA ratings for socceroo matches to reach its potential after the damage of having them off FTA for so so long.

Respectable is very debatable. This is a prime time world cup qualifier against the major Asian rival...

The 227,000 foxtel figure is pretty poor really for a prime time WCQ against Japan

So on what basis do you debate respectable, what would be genuinely repectable in your opinion?

How did it go in Japan?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So on what basis do you debate respectable, what would be genuinely repectable in your opinion?

How did it go in Japan?

Depends on the claims of the games proponents

That would be very respectable for a Boomers game.....but basketball knows its place in this country (doesn't have a new dawner set)

Depends on the claims of the games proponents

That would be very respectable for a Boomers game.....but basketball knows its place in this country (doesn't have a new dawner set)

So you gave us : 356,000 for a major world cup qualifier in prime time....oh my :(
then
acknowledging you missed viewers: The 227,000 foxtel figure is pretty poor really for a prime time WCQ against Japan

Now you aren't able to tell us what you number you'd regard as respectable despite this: Respectable is very debatable. This is a prime time world cup qualifier against the major Asian rival...

& having squibbed it offer up: That would be very respectable for a Boomers game.....

Whats respectable, its your measure, what is it?

So you gave us : 356,000 for a major world cup qualifier in prime time....oh my :(
then
acknowledging you missed viewers: The 227,000 foxtel figure is pretty poor really for a prime time WCQ against Japan

Now you aren't able to tell us what you number you'd regard as respectable despite this: Respectable is very debatable. This is a prime time world cup qualifier against the major Asian rival...

& having squibbed it offer up: That would be very respectable for a Boomers game.....

Whats respectable, its your measure, what is it?

It was demonoids term....I said it was debatable....you asked me what would respectable, I said it depends

If it was a sport with designs on being the number one code it's not respectable....something north of a million would bring you to the table

If it is a sport that knows it is second tier, than its respectable

Pretty simple to follow I would have thought

Apparently soccers gonna ride an international wave to dominance....sure don't look like it...

Would you acknowledge that those on other side of the decisions were at best, unimpressed. Codes that the AFL would be keen to use Docklands.

It didnt matter to Rugby at all. They had a contract. End of story, and the AFL knew it and after raising a concern about finals fixturing moved on. Soccer on the other hand carried on like entitled children that had no idea what was involved in the AFLs contract and wanted the state government to swoop in and force Etihad to rent to them.

It didnt matter to Rugby at all. They had a contract. End of story, and the AFL knew it and after raising a concern about finals fixturing moved on. Soccer on the other hand carried on like entitled children that had no idea what was involved in the AFLs contract and wanted the state government to swoop in and force Etihad to rent to them.
Thanks to the AFL standing firm I witnessed the best atmosphere I have ever been in for that Grand Final at Swan Street. Something I'll never forget yet sadly will never happen again. FFA bitched and complained but I don't think the fans cared. All 24k members got tickets. We move on.

It was demonoids term....I said it was debatable....you asked me what would respectable, I said it depends

If it was a sport with designs on being the number one code it's not respectable....something north of a million would bring you to the table

If it is a sport that knows it is second tier, than its respectable

Pretty simple to follow I would have thought

Apparently soccers gonna ride an international wave to dominance....sure don't look like it...

Pretty simple sums it up ..

Listening to 6pr tonight, RL test in Perth sold out, 60 people at Kangaroos training, 700 at Kiwis training, similar to a Wallaby game there is expected to be overwhelming kiwi support at the game.

Listening to 6pr tonight, RL test in Perth sold out, 60 people at Kangaroos training, 700 at Kiwis training, similar to a Wallaby game there is expected to be overwhelming kiwi support at the game.

its at nib stadium. Capacity: 20,500. Not only do they sell out annual league matches from time to time, but its a very rare Australia game in Perth. It damn well should be sold out.

its at nib stadium. Capacity: 20,500. Not only do they sell out annual league matches from time to time, but its a very rare Australia game in Perth. It damn well should be sold out.

Not suggesting it shouldn't be sold out, move the Warriors to Perth and a NRL team may work, otherwise forget it, a NRL team will struggle this side of the Nullarbor

From reading this article, rugby league expansion is to come at the Qld/NSW Cup level, not NRL level: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...l/news-story/c084437904da62c3e9f831e585789d24

Expanding the NSW and Qld Cup competitions, with the possible inclusion of teams from Fiji, Samoa, Tonga and New Zealand, will take precedence over adding more teams to the NRL competition, according to ARL Commission head John Grant.

While first grade bidding teams such as the West Coast Pirates in Perth, Brisbane Bombers and Central Coast Bears continue to wait in the wings, the ARLC is looking to invite sides from the Pacific and a second team from New Zealand.

The Warriors already play in the NSW Cup, and Papua New Guinea have been playing in the Qld Cup since 2014.

Grant said the NRL could increase beyond the current 16 teams by the time a new broadcast deal is negotiated for 2023 and beyond, but it was unlikely. The $1.8 billion deal struck in November last year comes into operation in 2018 and will expire in 2022.

Samoa hosted its first Test match last Saturday against Fiji, when around 10,000 spectators crammed into Apia’s stadium to help celebrate Samoan rugby league’s 30th anniversary.

The two nations, along with PNG and Tonga, already play in two Pacific Tests on the representative weekend in May, when Australia meet New Zealand and the NSW City-Country matches are held.

The ARLC wants to piggy back on the resurgence of the Pacific nations. Around 36 per cent of current NRL players come from a Polynesian background and that figure grows to over 60 per cent in junior grades. So instead of widening the NRL, or trying to start up a Victoria State Cup, the idea is to strengthen the NSW and Qld competitions.

“We’d see teams playing from around the Pacific, into New Zealand and from around Australia in that competition,” Grant said. “We’ll be putting much, much more of it on television as part of the new rights deal (starting 2018).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back