Play Nice Admin, Finance, Members, Ratings, Crowds, Policies - Please refer to each sports own boards

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
it was pissing down as it has been for the past month

This has been the worst month of weather sydney has ever hard for a march I reckon, usually march is still nice like late summer.

Be glad the that the AFL bosses only have thursday night sparingly not every week.

Hey papabear

Why dont you stick with all your victard, gayfl hating mates on LU instead of making a fool of yourself on an Australian Football forum?

Hey papabear

Why dont you stick with all your victard, gayfl hating mates on LU instead of making a fool of yourself on an Australian Football forum?

Why? Because I enjoy a diversity of opinion.

As for making a fool of myself, you are welcome to that opinion, I am not sure why your self esteem is such that you need to try and boost it on my behalf, but I hope it was successful and you continue on your day in a more positive fashion without the need to take out your own issues on your fellow man/woman.

I think you are overstating the differences in physicality, it is more a difference in nature of that physicality.

Never played it myself, but I know 2 who have, 1 went from league to footy, and 1 the other way, and there view is similar.

League have consistently bigger hits, as they are from the front on, but you are usually prepared and braced. Also the tackler generally has low momentum so it's harder to step them.

A lot of the hits in footy are relatively low impact, but you are much more likely to be caught unprepared. A footy player getting a hit or tackle is more likely to be caught from odd angles, is more likely to be hit while doing something that makes bracing for the hit impossible. I got knocked out once because I was hit in the act of kicking.

Toughness in league comes about from the number and weight of the hits.

Footy in my opinion has worse hits, but they are rare. High energy, high closing speed from both players, with one player being totally braced for impact, and the other being totally open.

There is no way of comparing the 2.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
I think your comments are fair for the most part, whilst I wont go into details where I disagree as this thread is more about the sports numbers then our opinions on the merits of the game, I was a big part in that segway, I need not repeat.

I have heard them say the same thing year in year out in Sydney.

The culture of attendance for RL in Sydney is seriously beyond a joke.
The bottom part is true.

Sydney normally has beautiful weather, really quite a stunning city (obviously, QLDs would be a little bit nicer although they are having a rough time of it now too) and from my anecdotal experience rains more in winter.. but honestly this march has been very very wet. I mean you can see on TV

pissing down is an understatement last night. anyone who rocked up on a worknight when the game is on the tellie deserves a medal.

its funny how sydney always seems to be raining. i thought they had the best climate in the country.

Thats what the Sydney people keep telling us!

In fact they have twice as much rain and a lot less sunshine than "bleak city" that they like to call Melbourne!

Last edited:
pissing down is an understatement last night. anyone who rocked up on a worknight when the game is on the tellie deserves a medal.

its funny how sydney always seems to be raining. i thought they had the best climate in the country.
It's been raining ever since they started counting crowds for the nrl! Then occasionally stops when there is a swans game on;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Friday Crowds

• Fri AFL - Dogs v Swans - 42,834 at Etihad Stadium
  • Fri NRL - Cowboys v Rabbitohs - 13,671 at 1300 Smiles Stadium
  • Fri NRL - Roosters v Sea Eagles - Crowd: 12,376 at Allianz Stadium
  • Fri HAL - Adelaide v Perth - Crowd: 7,307 at Coopers Stadium

Fantastic RL crowd in Sydney tonight :thumbsu:, game is clearly on the up.

Well, as we head into April, I can tell you its a cracking race for the most attended football code in the country the AFL with its nose in front with 501.5K a couple of thousand ahead of the rugby league with 499.5K. Too close to call at this stage :cool:

Thanks for the tables Wookie

I use stats a bit in my job, and I have been having a look at the calculations in your table, and the metro average is doing my head in (so now I am going to do your head in).

Firstly, the metro average itself. This is the average number of people in all the metro areas watching the footy, it is not, the average number of people per city watching the footy, averaged (an important distinction for later).

So your table above for each game lists the ratings per city in a row, and totals it at the end.
Then you add the totals (2,372,000)
Divide by the number of broadcasts (8)
and get an average per broadcast (296,500)
So each broadcast is seen in metro areas by 296,500 people on average, which seems fine.

However, I can calculate that 296,500 another way.
Total ratings for Melbournes 4 games (1,194,000), then divide by 8!! = 149.25k
Sydney total from 4 games (80), divide by 8 = 10k
Brisbane (115) = 14.375k
Adelaide 5 games (546), divide by 8 = 68.25k
Perth, 5 games (438), divide by 8 = 54.75k

Total these = 296,500 (close to, small rounding error somewhere)

So, we have 3 issues from this
First, the 296,500 is a real number, it represents the average metro viewing over all 8 broadcast games, it does mean something.
Second, when ratings are spoken about generally like this, we are usually talking national. However some of these ratings are national, some are regional (Brisbane only for instance). They are not representing the same thing, you cannot just average them together.
Third, dividing the total by 8 for a metro average, when none of the metro areas get 8 games is wrong.

An illustration of the problem is this.
Metro average is 296,500
but Melbournes average is 298,500.
From above, if the metro average was an average of the averages, this would be fine, but it isnt, its the average of the total, so it shouldn't be lower than Melbournes average

Another way to get a metro average is as follows (you already do most of it).
Take the average of each cities ratings (based on the number of games that city gets), then add the averages.
From above, this gives you 544,050.

So, how do we reconcile a metro average calculated one way of 296,500, and calculated another way of 544,050 (they are a bit different), and how does it matter in the AFL/NRL comparison.

Here is the explanation
Assume there are 2 countries (South and North), and each country has 2 cities (A and B)
Each country plays a sport that goes for 3 rounds.
North broadcast the first game to both A and B, each city gets 500k ratings
They broadcast the second game to A and B, and each gets 500k
The third game is not broadcast at all

In South, they broadcast the first game to A and B, and each city gets 600k ratings
The second game only gets broadcast in A for 600k ratings
the third game is only broadcast in B for 600k ratings

In North, the metro average is 1,000,000 (total ratings of 2 mill over 2 games)
In South, the metro average is 800k (total of 2.4 mill over 3 games)

However, if for both of them, we add the city averages, it looks like this.

North, A averages 500K, B averages 500K, total average is 1 mill
South, A averages 600k, and B averages 600k, total metro average is 1.2 mill

Make of that what you will.

The bottom part is true.

Sydney normally has beautiful weather, really quite a stunning city (obviously, QLDs would be a little bit nicer although they are having a rough time of it now too) and from my anecdotal experience rains more in winter.. but honestly this march has been very very wet. I mean you can see on TV
Is LU rather quite now days?

Ill preface this by saying its 6am and Ive been at work for 12 hours. I may need to address or clarify my responses later.

Thanks for the tables Wookie

I use stats a bit in my job, and I have been having a look at the calculations in your table, and the metro average is doing my head in (so now I am going to do your head in).

This puzzled me as its not overly complex.

Firstly, the metro average itself. This is the average number of people in all the metro areas watching the footy, it is not, the average number of people per city watching the footy, averaged (an important distinction for later).

The metro average is clearly derived from the number of people watching broadcasts of AFL football. The number of people is divided by the number of broadcasts. This average is done by city, and is done by total metro area.

So your table above for each game lists the ratings per city in a row, and totals it at the end.
Then you add the totals (2,372,000)
Divide by the number of broadcasts (8)
and get an average per broadcast (296,500)
So each broadcast is seen in metro areas by 296,500 people on average, which seems fine.

However, I can calculate that 296,500 another way.
Total ratings for Melbournes 4 games (1,194,000), then divide by 8!! = 149.25k
Sydney total from 4 games (80), divide by 8 = 10k
Brisbane (115) = 14.375k
Adelaide 5 games (546), divide by 8 = 68.25k
Perth, 5 games (438), divide by 8 = 54.75k

Total these = 296,500 (close to, small rounding error somewhere)

Frankly I dont believe it CAN be done this way and be accurate on a per broadcast basis. The number of cities is not a relevant factor in the average only the number of people in the ratings total and the number of broadcasts they watch.

So, we have 3 issues from this
First, the 296,500 is a real number, it represents the average metro viewing over all 8 broadcast games, it does mean something.

Why thanks.

Second, when ratings are spoken about generally like this, we are usually talking national. However some of these ratings are national, some are regional (Brisbane only for instance). They are not representing the same thing, you cannot just average them together.

You'll find a hell of a lot of matches are single or double city games only. Over the course of a season very few games are actually national - about a quarter.

Third, dividing the total by 8 for a metro average, when none of the metro areas get 8 games is wrong.

Since I calculate on ratings a per match basis and not a ratings per city one, I dont believe it is wrong. The number of games per city isnt really relevant.

An illustration of the problem is this.
Metro average is 296,500
but Melbournes average is 298,500.
From above, if the metro average was an average of the averages, this would be fine, but it isnt, its the average of the total, so it shouldn't be lower than Melbournes average

Given i use a ratings per broadcast total, and not a ratings per timeslot or other methodology, the ratings of other cities are in fact going to have an effect on the overall average being lower than the Melbourne top figure.

Another way to get a metro average is as follows (you already do most of it).
Take the average of each cities ratings (based on the number of games that city gets), then add the averages.
From above, this gives you 544,050.

So, how do we reconcile a metro average calculated one way of 296,500, and calculated another way of 544,050 (they are a bit different), and how does it matter in the AFL/NRL comparison.

We reconcile it by acknowledging that most cities rate lower than Melbourne and it brings the average broadcast audience down.

When we measure average audiences per city we get an average audience per match broadcast in that city.

What we get then when we add average city ratings together to get some sort of super average I have no idea, but its nothing to do with ratings per game at that point and seemingly everything to do with trying to beat the percieved advantage the NRL has by only having 3 matches per round all broadcast nationally.

AFL
A-league
NRL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back