Play Nice Admin, Finance, Members, Ratings, Crowds, Policies - Please refer to each sports own boards

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ill preface this by saying its 6am and Ive been at work for 12 hours. I may need to address or clarify my responses later.

This puzzled me as its not overly complex.

The metro average is clearly derived from the number of people watching broadcasts of AFL football. The number of people is divided by the number of broadcasts. This average is done by city, and is done by total metro area.

Frankly I dont believe it CAN be done this way and be accurate on a per broadcast basis. The number of cities is not a relevant factor in the average only the number of people in the ratings total and the number of broadcasts they watch.

Why thanks.

You'll find a hell of a lot of matches are single or double city games only. Over the course of a season very few games are actually national - about a quarter.

Since I calculate on ratings a per match basis and not a ratings per city one, I dont believe it is wrong. The number of games per city isnt really relevant.

Given i use a ratings per broadcast total, and not a ratings per timeslot or other methodology, the ratings of other cities are in fact going to have an effect on the overall average being lower than the Melbourne top figure.

We reconcile it by acknowledging that most cities rate lower than Melbourne and it brings the average broadcast audience down.

When we measure average audiences per city we get an average audience per match broadcast in that city.

What we get then when we add average city ratings together to get some sort of super average I have no idea, but its nothing to do with ratings per game at that point and seemingly everything to do with trying to beat the percieved advantage the NRL has by only having 3 matches per round all broadcast nationally.

Well, as a comparator to the nrl, such a "super average" is far better to a metro average that is blind to the fact that only a quarter of matches are actually telecast across all metro areas (and perhaps just as many a broadcast in one)

If I were you (ie I was providing an excellent free service to all the data nerd football fans and code warriors) I would add an extra row in to the summary and aggregate/average all the standard c7 games...

...another minor addition I would make is to add a "viewer hours" to reflect the longer afl games. Ironically, the only time I've seen viewer hours used is when someone was trying to devalue the afl tv rights value!

I always think of 20,000 being a quite small membership base as compared to the lofty heights of 70,000 that Collingwood, Richmond and Hawthorn make. But looking at the NRL totals, there are only 2 (potentially 3 counting how much Parramatta are on) clubs that have larger totals than the lions, those the broncos and the Rabbitohs. Rather impressive considering we'Ve only made finals once in the last 13 years.

864 including regionals for last night's game

Fri TV #AFL #AFLDogsSwans 864k, Metro Seven 496k (Mel 391k Ade 105k) 7mate 149k (Syd 41k Bri 30k Per 78k), Regional 219k (Vic 94k Tas 45k)

Great ratings in Melbourne, Meh elsewhere.

Football starting at 4;30 in the arvo in Perth is not great.

Sydney ratings very soft.

Would expect high fox ratings

gotta get that valuable data off spreadsheets and into a proper storage solution The_Wookie

have a look at the AWS free tier or even a locally stored SQLite db

Fri TV #AFL #AFLDogsSwans 864k, Metro Seven 496k (Mel 391k Ade 105k) 7mate 149k (Syd 41k Bri 30k Per 78k), Regional 219k (Vic 94k Tas 45k)

Great ratings in Melbourne, Meh elsewhere.

Football starting at 4;30 in the arvo in Perth is not great.

Sydney ratings very soft.

Would expect high fox ratings
I think footy has some issues in WA. AFL games people cannot go to with their kids, weird broadcast times to suit the East. Even the GF debate centred on what is the best timeslot, 2.30 or twilight, not mentioning once that it is neither of those time in Perth, its in a rather shitty timeslot.

It isn't the family sport it used to be, and it's reflected in the ratings which are consistently less than Adelaide's despite Perth being quite a bit bigger.

New stadium will help

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Ill preface this by saying its 6am and Ive been at work for 12 hours. I may need to address or clarify my responses later.

This puzzled me as its not overly complex.

The metro average is clearly derived from the number of people watching broadcasts of AFL football. The number of people is divided by the number of broadcasts. This average is done by city, and is done by total metro area.

Frankly I dont believe it CAN be done this way and be accurate on a per broadcast basis. The number of cities is not a relevant factor in the average only the number of people in the ratings total and the number of broadcasts they watch.

Why thanks.

You'll find a hell of a lot of matches are single or double city games only. Over the course of a season very few games are actually national - about a quarter.

Since I calculate on ratings a per match basis and not a ratings per city one, I dont believe it is wrong. The number of games per city isnt really relevant.

Given i use a ratings per broadcast total, and not a ratings per timeslot or other methodology, the ratings of other cities are in fact going to have an effect on the overall average being lower than the Melbourne top figure.

We reconcile it by acknowledging that most cities rate lower than Melbourne and it brings the average broadcast audience down.

When we measure average audiences per city we get an average audience per match broadcast in that city.

What we get then when we add average city ratings together to get some sort of super average I have no idea, but its nothing to do with ratings per game at that point and seemingly everything to do with trying to beat the percieved advantage the NRL has by only having 3 matches per round all broadcast nationally.
Yes, I get and agree with all of that.

Its that most peoples understanding of average relates to averages of like data. I see your averages used a lot in the code wars debate, and they are almost never used accurately, they are widely misunderstood.

Another example, then I will leave it alone, I am not trying to be critical.

If 7 broadcast 4 games to all metro areas and you got 2.4 mill total, metro average is 600k. Nice and simple.

However, if they decided to broadcast 3 games into all cities, and 1 into 4 cities, with the fifth city getting a different game, with the same 2.4 mill total, then your average drops to under 500k, but in each city, nothing has changed, same number of games, same number of viewers.
In effect, they have still broadcast 4 rounds worth of footy, but you divide the whole lot by 5.

Its like finding the average height of 30 year olds, and including a 20 year old and a 10 year old.

Your metro average is really a metro broadcast average.
Adding the metro averages gives you a metro round average.

They are both correct, my issue is generally people interpret the metro broadcast average as if it was the round average.

Fri STV #AFL #FoxFooty #AFLDogsSwans 300k (Syd 55k Mel 118k)

Interesting, so 130k of people outside of Melbourne and Sydney watched this on fox.

What was most interesting was that significantly more people watched the game in Sydney on Fox than on FTA. First indication i've seen on what Fox footy numbers are by city.

And jeez, A-League ratings have really fallen off a cliff. 5 city metro of 34k, Fox 34k as well.

What was most interesting was that significantly more people watched the game in Sydney on Fox than on FTA. First indication i've seen on what Fox footy numbers are by city.

And jeez, A-League ratings have really fallen off a cliff. 5 city metro of 34k, Fox 34k as well.

My bet is that if Sydney have a home game with 35K at the ground, then those FTA and Fox numbers will be no different, put the Swans on the main channel and FTA ratings would rise significantly.

I just dont buy these numbers a lot of the time, i quote them but i remain a sceptic.

They are both correct, my issue is generally people interpret the metro broadcast average as if it was the round average.

yeah ive understood that, its why there'll be a mini table comparing round for round averages at the bottom this year. Ive been doing it for the A-league all summer, and for the NRL since the start of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fri STV #AFL #FoxFooty #AFLDogsSwans 300k (Syd 55k Mel 118k)

Interesting, so 130k of people outside of Melbourne and Sydney watched this on fox.
What I also find interesting is that more people in Sydney watched the Swans on STV than FTA...Good to see we are getting some city breakdowns...

Also...

Fri STV #NRL #FoxLeague #NRLRoostersManly 234k (Syd 104k)
Fri STV #NRL #FoxLeague #NRLCowboysSouths 223k (Syd 84k Bri 49k)

So...less than double the audience in Sydney watching NRL on STV.

What I also find interesting is that more people in Sydney watched the Swans on STV than FTA...Good to see we are getting some city breakdowns...

We've been saying for some time that because of the early years where you HAD to have fox to watch the footy at a decent time in Sydney, that Fox penetration of the AFL base was likely to be reasonable in Sydney.

I was just checking out the Friday night FTA numbers:

11. SEVEN’S AFL: FRIDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL - Channel 7 - 496,000 - 391,000 - 105,000
12. TEN EYEWITNESS NEWS FIRST AT FIVE Channel 10 481,000 119,000 145,000 95,000 67,000 55,000
13. A CURRENT AFFAIR Channel 9 445,000 140,000 214,000 44,000 46,000
14. THE GRAHAM NORTON SHOW Channel 10 414,000 125,000 128,000 61,000 38,000 62,000
15. SUNRISE Channel 7 381,000 85,000 84,000 137,000 35,000 41,000
16. QI-EV ABC 370,000 92,000 109,000 76,000 47,000 46,000
17. FRIDAY NIGHT NRL LIVE - Channel 9 - 357,000 - 177,000 - 181,000

So AFL has absolutely smashed the NRL, by 139k (and Seven easily won the ratings for the night overall). It's incredible that not only is the Brisbane NRL rating higher than Sydney, but the Sydney NRL rating is only 72k higher than the 5th most populous city in Australia.

As we know, the multi-channel ratings will add another 120+k to that, with Sydney alone adding 41k.

On top of that, Foxtel ratings of 300k include a Sydney figure of 55k.

So whichever way you slice and dice it, pretty good numbers all round and shows why for big companies looking for sports sponsorship opportunities, the AFL is the first port of call.

Speaking of which, I think they mentioned at half time on Friday night that Mission had extended its sponsorship of the Western Bulldogs.

The original deal was worth around $1.5 million per year, but I reckon that would have just about doubled by now.

Last edited:
With daylight savings finishing, Perth`s ratings should improve. There's a significant difference between games starting at 5.30 instead of 4.30, considering most shops close at 5pm on the weekend (I know, I know).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back