Play Nice Admin, Finance, Members, Ratings, Crowds, Policies - Please refer to each sports own boards

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
GWS V GC.

The 2 newest clubs, the 2 smallest clubs.

The Fox Footy broadcast pulled in just 16,000 Sydney viewers and 9,000 in Brisbane, FTA pulled 33k in each city on 7mate, obviously GC is considered part of Brisbane for TV catchment areas.

91k combined

8k at the game

The game rated very well on Fox overall with 220k

Any thoughts?

GWS V GC.

The Fox Footy broadcast pulled in just 16,000 Sydney viewers and 9,000 in Brisbane, FTA pulled 33k in each city on 7mate, obviously GC is considered part of Brisbane for TV catchment areas.

91k combined

8k at the game

Any thoughts?

Does it matter? Would the AFL do anything if all the metrics were negative anyway? Arent they long term projects? The question might be how long. But it matters not.

Interested in the crowds for the super rugby season so far in Australia, considering the poor starts that all Aus sides have had to the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The crowds seem to have stopped being reported after the first 2 or 3 rounds. I can't find them anywhere.

Devil's advocate: as someone who lives in Brisbane (despite my user name!) the Broncos average to date is 38k and the Lions 20k. I've never heard fake crowd noises at the Gabba or at Suncorp, and yes, I've been to both.

And to play devil's advocate to my devil's advocate, I just pulled those crowd stats out of my ars* because both seasons are not complete so they don't mean anything whatsoever in isolation! :) I am going to go out on a limb and predict that the AFL will get a crowd average a bit over double that of the NRL... just like it has every other year since Queen Elizabeth II has been on the throne. Anyone want to put down a dollar seventy-five and bet against me? :) I would up the bet to two dollars to wager that both Australian Rules football and Rugby League will still be going strong in fifty years. Do I hear two fifty?
As for the fake pre-recorded crowd noises (cheering etc) over the PA systems at some NRL games, & false pre-recorded sounds of "thuds"in NRL player collisions inserted by the telecastors for the home viewing audience at home, I cannot attest to the accuracy of these claims. I have only been to one Melb. Storm game, & I occasionally watch NRL GF's & SOO games on TV. I was not aware of these subterfuges, if they occurred.

I mentioned them, however, because numerous posters have claimed both of these '"practices"do occur in some NRL games -to make these games appear more exciting. The NRL poster Papabear did not refute them, saying he was not aware if they occurred. I think he is a troll, so don't give him much credence.

The NRL is certainly far more popular than the AFL in Brisbane & Sydney -& is likely to be for at least the next 20 years. It is impossible to predict what will be happening in Aust. sport in the next 50 years.

What is interesting is the long term decline in RL & RU contact regd. nos. in NSW & Qld. And the demographic changes in these nos. -elite anglo/celt players are in a major decline, cf the % of all elite players in RL & RU.

In SE Qld, AF regd. nos. are now virtually on par with RL, & surpass RU, regd. contact nos. An absurd prediction to make 30 years ago. (I am not including the huge RL & RU non contact touch footy/tag etc type games, which are very strong in Qld. & NSW schools -but many of these touch players, a completely different sport, may not even follow RL and/or RU).

Last edited:
GWS V GC.

91k combined

8k at the game

Any thoughts?

The fox numbers for Sydney and Brisbane seem disappointing. At the same time, for such a blowout, the 7mate 66k total seems relatively decent (comparing with last season).

Not sure if the Wookie split the 7mate total figure as an approximation, but if the split really was 50/50, it's quite impressive that Brisbane registered 33k with the QLD team on the receiving end.

If the split was other than 50/50, at least one of the cities has registered an above average figure for a game involving Gold Coast or GWS.

It is perhaps notable that GWS appear to have rated better in Sydney on 7mate than fox, whereas it was the other way round for the swans this round. Might be suggestive of some newer viewers who are yet to subscribe to fox, or a different demographic. Impossible to say without more info.

In relation to Sydney more generally, I found the Friday night figures somewhat encouraging.

The defensive strategy of the NRL to schedule one or more of rabbitohs/roosters/sea eagles against the swans no doubt has an impact on swans ratings, but also looks like it may have had an impact on the rabbitohs' ratings, at least this time round. In Sydney, only 177k watched the rabbitohs on Nine and 84k on Fox.

The fox figure is only 50 percent more than the swans' 55k. Overall in Sydney, 261k watched NRL, 96k AFL, which is not as big a gap as might be expected in a heartland, although admittedly it is more that the NRL ratings seem low than that the AFL ratings seem particularly impressive.

If Melbourne's ratings for AFL on Seven were 177k on a Friday night, we'd probably be a bit concerned.

The NRL (or perhaps it is Channel 9) clearly being in defense mode (particularly in terms of scheduling certain NRL teams to play at the same time as the northern state AFL teams) is telling in itself IMO.

That's not to say the NRL's strategy is misguided, given the situation.

Last edited:
In SE Qld, AF regd. nos. are now virtually on par with RL, & surpass RU, regd. contact nos. An absurd prediction to make 30 years ago. (I am not including the huge RL & RU non contact touch footy/tag etc type games, which are very strong in Qld. & NSW schools -but many of these touch players, a completely different sport, may not even follow RL and/or RU).

Out of curiosity, what are the registration numbers for SE Qld? An, albeit brief, look at annual reports for AFL Qld and the QRL only showed statewide figures.

As I have said before turn on the AFL and most games have big crowds with plenty of colour and atmosphere and then switch to RL,RU and the A League H&A matches with mostly small scattered crowds in big stadiums
I know which the casual viewer will prefer to watch and with the amount of cameras its pretty easy to pick up the flow of our game now.
This is a big plus going forward for the AFL as most people want to be associated with success esp the coming generation.

As for the fake pre-recorded crowd noises (cheering etc) over the PA systems at some NRL games, & false pre-recorded sounds of "thuds"in NRL player collisions inserted by the telecastors for the home viewing audience at home, I cannot attest to the accuracy of these claims. I have only been to one Melb. Storm game, & I occasionally watch NRL GF's & SOO games on TV. I was not aware of these subterfuges, if they occurred.

I mentioned them, however, because numerous posters have claimed both of these '"practices"do occur in some NRL games -to make these games appear more exciting. The NRL poster Papabear did not refute them, saying he was not aware if they occurred. I think he is a troll, so don't give him much credence.

The NRL is certainly far more popular than the AFL in Brisbane & Sydney -& is likely to be for at least the next 20 years. It is impossible to predict what will be happening in Aust. sport in the next 50 years.

What is interesting is the long term decline in RL & RU contact regd. nos. in NSW & Qld. And the demographic changes in these nos. -elite anglo/celt players are in a major decline, cf the % of all elite players in RL & RU.

For the record, comparatively:-
- I used to watch carltons games on a weekly basis, back when they were good. I would start watching them again if they ever had any hope.
- I have attended 2 x AFL GFs and watched more then I have missed.
- I have attended atleast 10+ swannies games in my time.. mostly swans v carlton.
- Half of my family is from the riverina, I have attended local AFL games and beeped my horns when family have kicked goals.
- I have played 2 x competitive AFL games (more then I have played competitive rugby league games).
- I have watched a ****load of carlton / swans / neutral afl games in my time.

When it comes to rugby league
- I support the canberra raiders / NSW religously
- was a tigers member when they were good (wife supports them) and attended games there
- I have watched a ****load x 2 of NRL in my time.
- I play oztag
- I played union / soccer growing up.

Obviously these arent the only two sports I have followed and played most of us on here follow quite a few sports.

I am certainly not impartial and I have openly admitted that, but I do detest being branded a troll or biased by someone who is more biased and has lass partiality and experience outside of his chosen sport then myself.

Big parts of Rugby Union officialdom (not all of them, lots of them dont give a shit anymore) has been actively trying to kill rugby league for yours and deathrides it at any given chance. Rugby League in australia has done the same with union.

That is fine, that is what is going to happen in a business competitors are going to try and eat each other. They may succeed, they may not. The AFL may do the eating (as it has done over the last 20 years) and may well be eaten.

That is fine, that is what is going to happen in a business competitors are going to try and eat each other. They may succeed, they may not. The AFL may do the eating (as it has done over the last 20 years) and may well be eaten.[/QUOTE]

Dont see the AFL being eaten by any other sport for a very long time if ever.

They have the money they have the best stadiums and the smartest administration and the biggest support across the board members and crowds so something would have to go very wrong for the league to go under.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I have said before turn on the AFL and most games have big crowds with plenty of colour and atmosphere and then switch to RL,RU and the A League H&A matches with mostly small scattered crowds in big stadiums
I know which the casual viewer will prefer to watch and with the amount of cameras its pretty easy to pick up the flow of our game now.
This is a big plus going forward for the AFL as most people want to be associated with success esp the coming generation.

Very true. Gold begets gold.

That is fine, that is what is going to happen in a business competitors are going to try and eat each other. They may succeed, they may not. The AFL may do the eating (as it has done over the last 20 years) and may well be eaten.

Dont see the AFL being eaten by any other sport for a very long time if ever.

They have the money they have the best stadiums and the smartest administration and the biggest support across the board members and crowds so something would have to go very wrong for the league to go under.

20 to 25 years ago, there was a period where the media was talking up the basketball and some argued it was a real threat to the AFL. Kids were turning to basketball, wearing caps backward, etc, etc.

It seems laughable now that anyone thought that was even a remote possibility.

With the A-League, they weren't even able to keep the comp at 11 teams for more than two seasons, and are taking an eternity to get to 12 teams (upon which they will struggle to maintain current average attendances and ratings) - does anyone truly believe the AFL gives the A-League a moments thought across a whole year of commission meetings?

20 to 25 years ago, there was a period where the media was talking up the basketball and some argued it was a real threat to the AFL. Kids were turning to basketball, wearing caps backward, etc, etc.

It seems laughable now that anyone thought that was even a remote possibility.

With the A-League, they weren't even able to keep the comp at 11 teams for more than two seasons, and are taking an eternity to get to 12 teams (upon which they will struggle to maintain current average attendances and ratings) - does anyone truly believe the AFL gives the A-League a moments thought across a whole year of commission meetings?
From all reports the AFL undermined the stadium policy for Australias soccer world cup bid.

they would not have wasted the resources if they figured they were above and immune to all threats.

From all reports the AFL undermined the stadium policy for Australias soccer world cup bid.

they would not have wasted the resources if they figured they were above and immune to all threats.
No, that's the FFT line. A more balanced view would be, the FFA demanded/expected that the AFL would give the world cup concessions space and resources that would have been hugely damaging to AFL, without real compensation, because, you know, it's the world game.

They were unprepared for the no that they got.

So if refusing to blow up its own competition is undermining the bid?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

It was never proved the AFL wasted time on the World Cup that was doomed from day one

Why should the AFL bend over for soccer in this country when all the soccer bigots do is put shit on Australian Football.?

Nonsense. The AFL in fact supported the World Cup bid.

You miss the point completely. Why would the afl sit by and, in addition to stopping its season for two months, watch as a host of white elephant rectangular stadiums it can't use are built around the country ?

To the extent it did (ie you are not confusing predictable endless whining of Australian soccer) it was acting precisely as it should. The greatest irony is now the 2022 World Cup is being played in November December. The perfect timing for an Australian bid but we were told that European soccer was far to important to stop its season for its own World Cup at the same time as the afl/nrl should shut down without compensation for some national imperative.

Good read thanks for posting that.

What I got from it, though, was that the AFL simply stood their ground, refusing to bend over and compromise millions of dollars worth of contracts and agreements it had in place. It had nothing to do with perceiving soccer as a "threat", and involved no "undermining of stadium policy" as you insinuated.

undermining might be too strong a word, especially for the participants in the conversation at hand.

But they certainly played hard (as they have every right to do), hard enough to suggest that they do not think soccer is so insignificant that they can put on their big show without it impacting the AFL. Obviously, you wouldnt want to move your season without comp, but ruling a stadium out for being used, is missing out on the revenue from renting that stadium. I know I know its much more complicated then that, but I think everyone can appreciate that the AFL was fighting for a position against a not insignificant foe, when if it was the quidditch world cup, I imagine they wouldnt give a shit about the stadium use so long as they werent on AFL days ( or ****ed the turf).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back