2nds AFC 2021 SANFL Thread - We're baaaaaaaack (in the SANFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
None of which has anything to do with what I'm advocating.

There are only 2 ways you get a quality Ruck, first option one to develop over time or buy one in through trade, quality lead rucks don't come cheap generally.

The former is the smarter option IMO.

I might add I don't subscribe to the view that having a quality Ruck is not of any importance.
And none of this was the discussion point, in relation to Straughan

Did anyone go to or see the game?

Only based on stat's but both Pedlar are Newchurch seem more involved

Pedlar was pretty good. Got quite a bit of the ball around the ground, decent kicking. Seemed to slow the game whenever he got the ball, not sure if that was by design or just how he was playing. My question mark with him though is at CB or in stoppages around the ground where he just goes at 100% speed every time and fumbles as a result. Very similar to Hamill in that way.

Newchurch was playing behind the ball. I think that role might suit him more but we can't carry another HBFer on our list. He's too soft to be a proper small forward.

Parnell, wowee. Half of my posts on this account are about how much I wanted us to take him in the MSD and he delivered exactly what we want. 3 days before the game he wasn't even listed as a player, had to fly from Albury to Sydney to Adelaide where he met all the players probably on Thursday and then had to play with them 2 days later. He's actually an elite defender IMO, just had a couple of slips yesterday. Anyways, he was just hitting darts left right centre on both feet. Only one dodgy short kick which he has been prone to doing at NAB League level but always mops up his mess and doesn't lose confidence which is most important. Opposite can be said for Frampton, he lost confidence in Q1 and is just a headcase so couldn't recover.

Other players:
- Ben Davis definitely better as a defender. Too late in his career now but if they had identified that a few years ago then we could've had a decent defender.
- Cook was barely seen unfortunately. Watched on TV so no idea where he was playing on the field or how much game time. He's a super super talent but he needs a pre-season until we judge him.
- Hately was Hately. Pretty obvious why we got him for free rather than giving up an early pick like others on Bigfooty wanted us to do. Gets quite a bit of the ball, quite a few clearances but not much polish. Basically it's him vs ROC in the seniors if we want that type of player. Can't have both of them.
- I thought Himmelberg was pretty good. The ball barely went forward but he presented well and took some good marks.
- Strachany is the best state league pure ruckman outside of the AFL currently. It's why we don't need to draft another ruckman and why I think he'll stay on the list. There's no point of getting an 18 year old ruckman unless we want to waste a list spot for at least 4 years until we can determine whether the player is any good.
- Fischer was better. Few Intercept Marks, good disposal.
- Worrell should be in the AFL side. He's desperate when defending and I'm sick of Jake Kelly.
- Borlase was pretty good. Few good defensive moments. That's about it.

I seriously don’t know why we renewed his contract. No one was interested that’s why? He makes Ken McGegor look quick.

Harry Taylor wasn't all that quick, that's who McAsey reminds me of in terms of how he moves. Obviously a long, long way behind, but speed isn't everything. But it is necessary when you're playing behind a midfield that applies defensive pressure on incoming delivery as ours does.

None of which has anything to do with what I'm advocating.

There are only 2 ways you get a quality Ruck, first option one to develop over time or buy one in through trade, quality lead rucks don't come cheap generally.

The former is the smarter option IMO.

I might add I don't subscribe to the view that having a quality Ruck is not of any importance.

Problem is that you can rarely get away with having 2 current AFL quality rucks on the list. A list needs something fit enough to be a back up if the primary goes down but is happy to play SANFL. As soon as a player becomes an AFL quality ruck that's not getting games, they're gone end of that year. I think we're about due for a developing ruck to build over the next 4 years and genuinely pressure or takeover from ROB. You need a Strachan type too though but I reckon he might be in trouble as Frampton seems to have been the emergency listed ruck replacement recently. Maybe we pay the fine if ROB pulls out late, but I doubt it.

Did Oliver Davis play?
Yes he did just another small - to medium mids with no elite pace or skills that can tackle .
Whilst the kid we picked in mid draft Parnell looked very promising indeed with lots of foot and evasive skills .
Always believed Frampton was going to make it but after yesterday think we need to release from contract and draft a prospect future ruck .

Other players:
- Ben Davis definitely better as a defender. Too late in his career now but if they had identified that a few years ago then we could've had a decent defender.
He played there in the Sturt game I saw on TV and I was impressed with his vision, anticipation and composure. Did he play the whole game there this weekend?

Harry Taylor wasn't all that quick, that's who McAsey reminds me of in terms of how he moves. Obviously a long, long way behind, but speed isn't everything. But it is necessary when you're playing behind a midfield that applies defensive pressure on incoming delivery as ours does.
And Talia isn't quick but he is good at reading the play which McAsey has and why he is a good interceptor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably a sign of poor coaching by Rawlings, and a reminder of how much of a pain the MSD is.

Norwood bombed the ball in all last quarter, almost as if they forgot they don't have Jackson Callow anymore.

You would think being in a AFL environment prior he would have some idea of how to stem the flow,,,,,,, maybe not
Coached from the bench all game, a great deal of yelling but not a lot of substance

Just watched the recording of yesterday.

Great signs from Pedlar. Nice to see New church working his way into the game too.

Part of me is tempted to give Davis a go in the league team at the McPherson position. He definitely has something.

Still waiting for you to tell me who Sturt’s taken from where and when

Legitimately think it's unfair to label the precise person I'm thinking of here.

But do you legitimately deny it happens?

Hell it happened with Orazio as a junior. Deemed not good enough for Norwood's juniors, went back to Payneham, hit a hot run, Norwood came calling again.

Think any of the three parties are unhappy with how that ended up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back