2nds AFC 2021 SANFL Thread - We're baaaaaaaack (in the SANFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

good game, in the end the difference was probably our lack of discipline with stupid free kicks giving about 3 easy goals i reckon.

good signs from a lot of youngsters, cook the best, gollant also good.

the usual suspects were the usual suspects, strachan, oconnor, lynch, murphy, hamill, fog, hall etc.

parnell, newchurch and davis all did ok considering where they're at

Despite the loss, tons of positive signs

Cook - clearly has AFL qualities, was excellent up forward and dominated their defense when the ball went near him

Gollant - untidy with his kicks and could have had 5 goals but plenty to work with, strong in the air and competes

Hamill - class above this level, pointless playing him here and Mackay in the AFL

McAsey - thought he had a good game and continues to build, but time is running out to play AFL this year. Will benefit from an uninterrupted pre-season

Murphy - built nicely as the game went on, busy around the ground and ended with a game high 13 tackles

Fogarty - had an okay game. Felt he had two really strong periods in the second and last quarters and showed a lot in the contest, but was inconsistent

Lynch - too good for SANFL level, feel we will rush him in at all costs but IMO is still weeks away fitness wise. Offered no defensive pressure at all. Wouldn't play him over Gollant or Cook

Newchurch - worth persisting with, still think he has something

Strachan - was good in the ruck I felt, I'm leaning towards us retaining him given how many rucks were taken in the MSD. Is there anyone better than him at state level left?

McPherson - he was fine

Worrell - he was fine but hasn't replicated his early season form

O'Connor - he was fine, I still don't see many standout AFL traits but he is an effective inside player at SANFL level

Parnell - plenty to work with but a fair way off

Boralse - is the least good of our tall defenders, question marks over whether he makes it

McAdam - had an absolute stinker, couldn't get near it and won't play AFL again this year based on this effort

Himmelberg - didn't do much and has regressed badly

Davis - wasn't the worst player but I think we've given up on him

Considering how Glenelg have a team full of such mature bodies, it's a good effort.

Probably a midfielder short.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Despite the loss, tons of positive signs

Cook - clearly has AFL qualities, was excellent up forward and dominated their defense when the ball went near him

Gollant - untidy with his kicks and could have had 5 goals but plenty to work with, strong in the air and competes

Hamill - class above this level, pointless playing him here and Mackay in the AFL

McAsey - thought he had a good game and continues to build, but time is running out to play AFL this year. Will benefit from an uninterrupted pre-season

Murphy - built nicely as the game went on, busy around the ground and ended with a game high 13 tackles

Fogarty - had an okay game. Felt he had two really strong periods in the second and last quarters and showed a lot in the contest, but was inconsistent

Lynch - too good for SANFL level, feel we will rush him in at all costs but IMO is still weeks away fitness wise. Offered no defensive pressure at all. Wouldn't play him over Gollant or Cook

Newchurch - worth persisting with, still think he has something

Strachan - was good in the ruck I felt, I'm leaning towards us retaining him given how many rucks were taken in the MSD. Is there anyone better than him at state level left?

McPherson - he was fine

Worrell - he was fine but hasn't replicated his early season form

O'Connor - he was fine, I still don't see many standout AFL traits but he is an effective inside player at SANFL level

Parnell - plenty to work with but a fair way off

Boralse - is the least good of our tall defenders, question marks over whether he makes it

McAdam - had an absolute stinker, couldn't get near it and won't play AFL again this year based on this effort

Himmelberg - didn't do much and has regressed badly

Davis - wasn't the worst player but I think we've given up on him
Good write up, cheers.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Valiant effort, but didn't have enough to get over the line in the end unfortunately.

So for the players I care about:

Cook had a hell of a game. 12 disp, 4 goals 2. Nearly won it off his own back in the end.

Gollant monstered Curran in the first half, and unfortunately the yips stopped him from getting a 5-6 goal game. Still, pretty much the same as last week. Really good in the air, competes hard and has x-factor.

Fogarty played well in the end and didn't feature on the scoreboard that heavily, which is a + in my book as one of my biggest criticisms is he is taken out of the game completely when he doesn't get on the scoreboard. A couple of stupid moments near the end sour it for me, especially getting done for mouthing off at the umpire when we're down by 4 to give Glenelg an easy clearance (and a goal).

Hamill looked a class above as well, though faded in the 4th. He does look better in a more offensive role.

Murphy had a really good 3rd and didn't feature a whole lot otherwise. 13 tackles is going to win points with me as well.

Newchurch played well. Offered a bit of dash, kicked a couple of goals, didn't seem to shirk a whole of the defensive side.

Borlase did an admirable job on McBean this week. His ball use was also good.

Parnell was quiet. Didn't do anything wrong when he was involved though.

Fish had a good game for the most part. Read the play well.

Worrell made an excellent run down tackle, but was quiet. Wasn't his day.

O'Connor was O'Connor at this point. Nothing that changes the narrative there about Ronin this week. 8 clearances, 12 tackles and minimal impact beyond the coal face.

Good first hitout for Lynch. Some class moves, 3 nice goals. Can't complain about that one.

Valiant effort, but didn't have enough to get over the line in the end unfortunately.

So for the players I care about:

Cook had a hell of a game. 12 disp, 4 goals 2. Nearly won it off his own back in the end.

Gollant monstered Curran in the first half, and unfortunately the yips stopped him from getting a 5-6 goal game. Still, pretty much the same as last week. Really good in the air, competes hard and has x-factor.

Fogarty played well in the end and didn't feature on the scoreboard that heavily, which is a + in my book as one of my biggest criticisms is he is taken out of the game completely when he doesn't get on the scoreboard. A couple of stupid moments near the end sour it for me, especially getting done for mouthing off at the umpire when we're down by 4 to give Glenelg an easy clearance (and a goal).

Hamill looked a class above as well, though faded in the 4th. He does look better in a more offensive role.

Murphy had a really good 3rd and didn't feature a whole lot otherwise. 13 tackles is going to win points with me as well.

Newchurch played well. Offered a bit of dash, kicked a couple of goals, didn't seem to shirk a whole of the defensive side.

Borlase did an admirable job on McBean this week. His ball use was also good.

Parnell was quiet. Didn't do anything wrong when he was involved though.

Fish had a good game for the most part. Read the play well.

Worrell made an excellent run down tackle, but was quiet. Wasn't his day.

O'Connor was O'Connor at this point. Nothing that changes the narrative there about Ronin this week. 8 clearances, 12 tackles and minimal impact beyond the coal face.

Good first hitout for Lynch. Some class moves, 3 nice goals. Can't complain about that one.
Ex thanks for the write up golumness

Last edited:
For people paying more attention to the SANFL, how is McAsey tracking?
Ordinarily.

I'm not seeing any improvement in his body on body development which is his major weakness, gets outbodied by SANFL players currently.

Ordinarily.

I'm not seeing any improvement in his body on body development which is his major weakness, gets outbodied by SANFL players currently.
Thought he was pretty good today for the most part

Ordinarily.

Harsh. I think he's been improving throughout the year. Liked him yesterday, and think he's been good more often than he's been mediocre.

Body isn't quite there yet.

Harsh. I think he's been improving throughout the year. Liked him yesterday, and think he's been good more often than he's been mediocre.

Body isn't quite there yet.
Nope I've watched him quite closely and I'm not seeing it, he's miles off being capable of going body on body on the big "gorilla" AFL KPF's.

I hope like Hell he starts getting his mojo right as he was obviously drafted to takeover from Tals but I have my doubts now, certainly can't see him capable of going toe to toe with the AFL KPF's currently,

Needs a big pre-season over summer to improve his tank and to hit the gym and weights hard then I'll reassess. Until then for mine he's struggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back