2nds AFC 2021 SANFL Thread - We're baaaaaaaack (in the SANFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm an optimist - but sh*t the terrible delivery on display today was hard to watch.

There was a lot of that, to be sure, mainly long bombs straight to the oppo defenders.
However, my main problem was the complete loss of structure when they had the ball. All their players seemed to be loose: there were routine chains through the middle where they all lined up, without a Crow on the screen. I kid you not. What is going on there?
At the start of the season, this happened all the time, and now it has returned. The coaching seems to be rubbish.

Pedlar needs to get fit. To play his type of game you need big fitness base. Cook is developing but not ready yet. Great signs. O’Connor and Hately don’t Instill me with any confidence going forward

Are you sure he's unfit? His games don't seem to indicate that, as far as I can see. He still goes at the end.
He seems to be a bit of an agricultural player, with a key MO of trying to run straight at the oppo to break through. At AFL level that's not going to work. He needs a bit more mature consideration in his moves: he has talent, but he's a turnover merchant at present.

Are you sure he's unfit? His games don't seem to indicate that, as far as I can see. He still goes at the end.
He seems to be a bit of an agricultural player, with a key MO of trying to run straight at the oppo to break through. At AFL level that's not going to work. He needs a bit more mature consideration in his moves: he has talent, but he's a turnover merchant at present.

he definitely is and understandable given his lack of preparation this year. He should be played More in the midfield though than keeping Hately and O’Connor there mostly who have little or no influence and acceleration from the contest

And don’t get me started on the use of Pedlar. He is stuck at half forward for 3/4 and does nothing. Put him on the ball in the last quarter and he gets 10 touches.

guess what AFC - Pedlar is a midfielder you bunch of ******* twats.
Preparing him for the role he'll play at AFL level :rolleyes:

We have to be the least skilled side in both the AFL and SANFL.

long bombs to opposition players constantly.

who would want to play forward for us.

And don’t get me started on the use of Pedlar. He is stuck at half forward for 3/4 and does nothing. Put him on the ball in the last quarter and he gets 10 touches.

guess what AFC - Pedlar is a midfielder you bunch of ******* twats.
I just don’t get why we draft these players, then for some strange reason we try to turn their natural talent into something they are not

I just don’t get why we draft these players, then for some strange reason we try to turn their natural talent into something they are not
What are you talking about? Burns mentioned Pedlar offering a point of difference to our midfield in his debate game (and he showed this with some excellent stoppage clearance) and he has been playing a lot more midfield in the SANFL early in his return from injury. Clearly he isn't match fit yet so he has been played forward and held back until the last quarter, mind you why not just play him 50% midfield for each quarter as this will build his match fitness better?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting game. Poorly coached. Dreadfully coached. Players will struggle to learn in a setup like this & not preparing youngsters for the higher level.

Fish is in an odd place. I still can't see what set him apart from the pack to be drafted so early as a KPP. He reminds me of the Koschitzke/Lewis types from Hawthorn - maybe a touch slower. Not quick enough to create separation as a forward or close it down as a defender, not physical enough to initiate/crave contact at either end and his contested work is...okay? I think if he stays a forward he's probably not going to be any better than the good version of Himmelberg.

Billy's skills are suited to defence more. Always have. I wrote this about him in 2014 when I was more actively draft watching

'The appeal with Frampton is that he seems to possess a skillset that might be conducive to playing as a key defender. We've seen the success clubs have with turning the big rucks/forwards who can't really find a niche into key defenders, and if there's one of them in this crop it's Frampton. If he could make the transition at 199cm and with his speed he'd be a player who could cover most key forwards'

Even back then - it was clear he just didn't have it as a forward. Just disappointing it's taken 7 years for Port/us to work it out. Persist with the experiment and give him a month in the seniors at the end of the season if it's working - his (few) skills are suited to it and his biggest weakness, that he's a giant braindead galoot, isn't particularly relevant in defence. If he can fill the role Butts is currently filling, it can free up Butts to move into more of an intercepting/second defender role - which suits his skills a little better. Butts has always been more Bock and less Talia.

Interesting game. Poorly coached. Dreadfully coached. Players will struggle to learn in a setup like this & not preparing youngsters for the higher level.

Fish is in an odd place. I still can't see what set him apart from the pack to be drafted so early as a KPP. He reminds me of the Koschitzke/Lewis types from Hawthorn - maybe a touch slower. Not quick enough to create separation as a forward or close it down as a defender, not physical enough to initiate/crave contact at either end and his contested work is...okay? I think if he stays a forward he's probably not going to be any better than the good version of Himmelberg.

Billy's skills are suited to defence more. Always have. I wrote this about him in 2014 when I was more actively draft watching

'The appeal with Frampton is that he seems to possess a skillset that might be conducive to playing as a key defender. We've seen the success clubs have with turning the big rucks/forwards who can't really find a niche into key defenders, and if there's one of them in this crop it's Frampton. If he could make the transition at 199cm and with his speed he'd be a player who could cover most key forwards'

Even back then - it was clear he just didn't have it as a forward. Just disappointing it's taken 7 years for Port/us to work it out. Persist with the experiment and give him a month in the seniors at the end of the season if it's working - his (few) skills are suited to it and his biggest weakness, that he's a giant braindead galoot, isn't particularly relevant in defence. If he can fill the role Butts is currently filling, it can free up Butts to move into more of an intercepting/second defender role - which suits his skills a little better. Butts has always been more Bock and less Talia.
Good post. Frampton could become similar to what Lachlan Keefe has become for GWS. He was having a sensational year in defence before doing his knee.

his (few) skills are suited to it and his biggest weakness, that he's a giant braindead galoot, isn't particularly relevant in defence.

I'm not sure I agree that it won't be relevant in defence. Have you seen his body language when he misses a set shot or loses out a contest early in a game? He can't recover from that within that game. Now imagine if his opponent gets a few marks on him in defence at the start of the game. What do you think the rest of his day will look like? He'll give away frees left right and centre, all in D50 where the opponent can have shots on goal. That I feel is very relevant in defence. His attributes scream AFL standard key defender, with the athleticism and generally has always been a good mark at SANFL level, but my god his mental situation is so volatile.

Having said that, I wanted him trialed as a defender last year so I'm happy to see it happening. Definitely worth a shot...if he can see a really good psychologist.

Also on this, we underestimate just how interrupted Fish's pre-season was. Firstly that news that his dad had a serious health issue while Fish was in Melbourne and compounded with injury niggles means we're not seeing the best of him. Having said that, the onus should've been more on him to work as hard while stuck in Melbourne as the guys were back in Adelaide in the off-season. I reckon if he was fit he'd be more around the AFL side like last season. Lack of fitness for our AFL players last year made them look so much worse than fit versions of themselves (e.g. Tex).

Don't fall into the trap thinking he's no good yet. Let's get a full pre-season into him and see the result at the start of next year. I'd like for the club to just put him in cotton wool sometime soon and start his pre-season very early. Also don't forget that he was Vic Metro MVP ahead of Matt Rowell/Noah Anderson for a reason. We just haven't seen that translate to senior footy yet.

Jones at Carlton turned himself from being a spud KPF to a very good KPD when his career was on the line

Can Billy do the same ?

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Henderson from the cats started career up forward but never really made it. He's now a pillar of the Geelong defence. He was at the end of his time at Geelong and I think was either delisted or rookied but has reinvented himself really well. A great story actually.
Billy at the crossroads so let's hope for a similar story.

That we can agree on.

Interested in your take on Hately's game given he was played around the ball all day.

I saw nothing that even raised my pulse from him today, plenty of nothing possessions?
Yeah. I think this year is a write-off and he's gone backwards when he should have been taking the next step.

Hard to know if it was the groin delays, role issues (a couple of times I don't think he's known if he's BEING tagged or he's DOING the tagging), unsure of whether he's meant to be inside or a combo mid, or what.

But I think we start again with him in the off season with a clear plan. He's gone from being an almost certain "solid" AFL player to whoever he is now.

That we can agree on.

Interested in your take on Hately's game given he was played around the ball all day.

I saw nothing that even raised my pulse from him today, plenty of nothing possessions?
Hately is a disappointment.

Been a fan since seeing him play some junior Footy. I wanted us to draft him. Happy we traded for him.

A bit of a worry now. At least we got him cheap.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

It looks like the whole clubs kicking skills have deteriorated as the season has gone on, we just cant get anywhere near to hitting an easy target, or even put it to a teammates advantage.
With Hately and O'Connor regularly getting beaten in the midfield, you would hate to be a forward. I cant see these guys staying on the list past their current contracts
Big concerns with McAsey, he doesn't have the speed or physicality to play back, I think his only hope is up forward where he maybe able to rely on his marking 'power' and good kicking
I would prefer to see McAsey and Worrell tried up forward and Billy and Himmelberg tried down back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back