Autopsy AFL 2023 First Qualifying Final - Pies v Demons Thurs Sept 7th 7:20pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 18 7.1%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 86 34.0%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 92 36.4%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 19 7.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 7 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

For a finals game I thought that was average. Felt like a normal high pressure H&A game. Dees were spooked badly early and then choked late. Wasting a premiership era with this kicking and coaching strategy. Dominating contested ball and inside 50s and losing in the Goodwin way.

Don't think I've ever seen a fanbase so out of tune with the pace and type of game than Collingwood supporters were last night. It was a heavy ground and a wet ball. It was very well umpired. Everything the Pies supporters in the AFL Reserve had an aneurysm about, their own players were guilty of as well. Umpires let it go. That was a well umpired finals game.

You blokes got away with murder and guess what? it's actually not Melbourne FC fault it's the umpires.

Started early with push and shove jumper punchers they let it go and let things escalate.

Viney punched 2 blokes in the face after the Brawshaw innocent right infront if the umpire and it was let go.

The dropping the balls
The throws

These get paid during the year why do the umpires not pay them in finals? Those throws were as clear as day I saw them from level 4 how can 4 absolute useless idiots who are paid to see these decided they were handballs.

Such a good game that. Dees were always in the contest and increasingly coming during that second half as they started to scrounge some avenues forward. They've been such good value these last couple weeks since August began really, their games going down to the wire enthrallingly. Just had a few screw ups in the last like McDonald on 46-60, Fritsch on 47-60, Pickett had one or two costly misses where he had a little more time, the May friendly spoil, it just wasn't going to be, but best of luck to them in their next game(s). Pies just had the right shape and answers throughout much of the night, and despite some wasteful early cobweb yips from Elliot and Mihocek they generally played well. Both sides showed they are (among those) contending for the flag in no uncertain terms, and like in 2019 the Pies can rest assured they'll likely be hosting an interstate side in the prelim. Felt like a Vic conference final (save the spectre of the Blues), and respect to the fans for all coming down despite the wet hours beforehand.

Refreshing to not have a single score review. Also managed to forget that James was Angus' uncle during that concussion incident with Maynard, gotta respect that reserved stance from him and the commentary crew.

I know that’s the rule when you elect to bump but not sure that’s the case when you choose to smoother. I don’t think anyone knows what will happen. It’s a very unique incident. No doubt your opinion is clouded by you hatred of the pies.
Actually, one of my best mates plays for the pies vfl team. So def no hatred. But if he had tackled he wouldn't have hit him in the head, yes I agree with you he choose to smother, but in the end the smother turned into a hip to the head.

We all make split second choices in life, but his is a choice that will have ramifacations.

Actually, one of my best mates plays for the pies vfl team. So def no hatred. But if he had tackled he wouldn't have hit him in the head, yes I agree with you he choose to smother, but in the end the smother turned into a hip to the head.

We all make split second choices in life, but his is a choice that will have ramifacations.
Like Cripps?

I think it's either 3 or 4 weeks or nothing. Can't be 1 week. It's either intentional or a footy act. I think he should get off cos you can't call that intentional when his intent was to smother the ball. He couldn't know Brayshaw was going to keep running directly at him WHEN Maynard left the ground.

Can't be intentional... But knock someone out and you get weeks this year. The tribunal have set themselves up for this scenario. We've all been saying it all year that it's gonna cost someone a final or grand final. Let's see how serious they are about protecting the head in finals.
It will be graded careless conduct -severe impact - high contact. MRO will be forced by the rules to send it to the tribunal. From there it gets interesting?????

Were lucky to get away with that due to the Dee's putridness.
Rah rah, lucky, lucky. I’m betting you’re one of those who, at the start of the year predicted Pies will finish bottom 4 because 2022 was just “lucky”. Clueless.

Melb was first to the ball a lot. Coll fans were just yelling out 'ballll' with no concept of prior opportunity. it was quite annoying at the game.

You guys dropped the footy all night and then went full Melbourne Storm and started to throw everything...

It was a good game but unfortunately the Dees got a good run which isn't the Dees fault.

The pies fans cheering a bloke for knocking out a player with a known extensive concussion history was a class-less act. pathetic really. Even though I personally dont believe he deserves a suspension, going out of their way to cheer him was distasteful.
Rubbish - far far more were clapping him.
Get a grip sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For a finals game I thought that was average. Felt like a normal high pressure H&A game. Dees were spooked badly early and then choked late. Wasting a premiership era with this kicking and coaching strategy. Dominating contested ball and inside 50s and losing in the Goodwin way.

Don't think I've ever seen a fanbase so out of tune with the pace and type of game than Collingwood supporters were last night. It was a heavy ground and a wet ball. It was very well umpired. Everything the Pies supporters in the AFL Reserve had an aneurysm about, their own players were guilty of as well. Umpires let it go. That was a well umpired finals game.

If the umpiring was of a acceptable standard in Q4, Melbourne would have won. Some very questionable decisions in Melbourne's F50 gave Collingwood a chance to relieve some pressure and take time off the clock.

If Grundy plays and umpires officiate properly, Melbourne have an epic come from behind win.

You guys dropped the footy all night and then went full Melbourne Storm and started to throw everything...

It was a good game but unfortunately the Dees got a good run which isn't the Dees fault.
you know youre allowed to drop the footy right? If you have no prior and try to dispose of the footy, you can drop it. You guys need to learn the rules. We had guys like Oliver and Petracca be first to the ball a lot, actually trying to make plays.

And if you're talking throws then you need to look at Tom Mitchell who threw the ball all night.

Just enjoy the win and the fact that we couldn't kick straight.

This is quite unusual.

Side on vision will be compelling.

Look back at some of the chaps who have had multiple concussions -

Two points are potentially relevant

1) your reflexes become a bit shot as I understand (ie what other players would react to, your reflexes are a bit slow)
2) what can seem like a fairly innocuous bump, can have high impact (carrying previous damage).

This is perhaps why some players get more concussions and they are deeper.
This wasn't small and innocuous.

Let's hope Angus is okay.

I don't think that's suspension worthy.
What else is he to do there? Contested the ball. Can't move mid air. Tried to lessen contact as much as he can.
I just don't see how else he's reasonably expected to contest the ball.
I kind of agree, except he does turn in mid air to make the impact more severe

But tbf after Cripps getting off last year who good damn knows with the tribunal

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

How could he tackle him when he was 10 meters away, hence why he jumped with his hands as high in the air as he could, so as to attempt a smother.

But he had the option to tackle. He made the choice to smother, that choice is fine but when you make that choice you have to make sure you don't hit him in the head. Won't play again this year.
There's no option to tackle. how? Maynard has the right to go for a smother. Smothering was the right option. it was just unlucky. Look I think Maynard is a good player but whilst I think he gets credit for doing the smallest of things, he should have no case to answer for this incident.

The cheering of Ginnivan was total cringe though. I don't get it anyway? It seemed more like Bronx cheers roasting. Cheering him for being the supersub at the 20 minute mark of the last quarter?...

Haven't watched a heap of Melbourne this year, but it felt like they slipped back into old habits tonight. Was Melksham a massive loss considering how well he had been playing? If they had a functional forwardline they wouldn't lose a game, everywhere else they play premiership winning football, it was frustrating to watch even as a neutral.

Dees forward line is just missing quality ball users.

If they keep pick 5 the Watson would be a good get. They need some smarter smaller forwards who dont just blaze away kicking inside 50. Smarter forwards who bring others into the game and get create shots on goals in better positions.

No - not when the player is not going for the ball as in attempting to smother. This is completely new ground.
Tried to smother - he missed the ball and knocked a player out- i think MRO will be forced by the rules to send it to the tribunal. Then who knows what the outcome will be - can see this dragging on to the courts

How could he tackle him when he was 10 meters away, hence why he jumped with his hands as high in the air as he could, so as to attempt a smother.
I do agree. I think he'll get off. But there has to be a send off rule. If Brayshaw plays, we win pretty easily. We replaced him with Bailey Laurie, so essentially a player down the whole game. A send off rule in the future would be fair.

Goodwin sooking about Maynard in the presser but just so happens to have missed the Van Rooyen incident :$
The same guy who declared that Grundy was “valued at Melbourne” before unceremoniously dropping him to the VFL wastelands a couple of weeks later. I think he thinks he’s trying his best 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2023 First Qualifying Final - Pies v Demons Thurs Sept 7th 7:20pm EST (MCG)

Back