Autopsy AFL 2024 First Semi Final - GWS V Lions Sat Sept 14th 7:30pm EST (Engie) Teams in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• GWS by a goal or less

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • GWS by 7 - 20

Votes: 41 35.7%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • GWS by a lot

Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

IMG_6367.png

AFL 2024 PREMIERSHIP SEASON
FIRST SEMI FINAL
GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY V BRISBANE
SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 14TH 7:30PM EST (ENGIE STADIUM)

Live scores on BigFooty during the match.

TIPPING ON BIGFOOTY

CLICK HERE :arrowright: TIP IN BIGFOOTY TIPPING
$1000 total prize money!
$500 first place and a spiffy medal
$300 second place
$200 third place

Weekly Prize:
:arrowright: Best score each round wins a year's Premium Platinum membership!

Tipping proudly sponsored by
The Golden Ticket

Medallion Club tickets at the MCG and Marvel
Corporate Box tickets at the MCG and Marvel
AFL Finals Tickets

Optus Stadium open air box tickets

Adelaide Oval Stadium Club tickets

Heritage Bank Stadium Lounge tickets

GABBA Open Air Corporate Boxes

Teams:
GIANTS

B: H.Himmelberg, S.Taylor, C.Idun
HB: L.Whitfield, J.Buckley, H.Perryman
C: F.Callaghan, T.Green, J.Kelly
HF: B.Daniels, A.Cadman, I.Cumming
F: D.Jones, J.Hogan, T.Greene - C
FOLL: K.Briggs, S.Coniglio, J.Peatling

I/C: C.Ward, L.Ash, T.Bedford, L.Keeffe, X.O’Halloran
EMG: J.Riccardi, T.McMullin, N.Haynes

IN: T.Bedford
OUT: T.McMullin (Omitted)

LIONS
B: D.Zorko, H.Andrews, C.McKenna
HB: D.Wilmot, J.Payne, R.Lester
C: J.Fletcher, W.Ashcroft, H.McCluggage
HF: C.Rayner, J.Daniher, J.Berry
F: C.Cameron, E.Hipwood, Z.Bailey
FOLL: O.McInerney, J.Dunkley, L.Neale - C

I/C: K.Lohmann, C.Ah Chee, L.Morris, B.Starcevich, N.Answerth
EMG: H.Sharp, D.Fort, D.Joyce

No changes

finals-fixture-image-2024-sf.jpg

:arrowdown: Links to the Club Board tipping comps :arrowdown:

Last edited:

Lions to get up. I think the Giants lack a bit of resolve and a real killer instinct. The lions are looking to prove all and sundry wrong about their inability to succeed in finals. Huge implications for them. I think this sets up a mighty PF at the G against Geelong that I think they could win.

Lions by 19

Giants play decent finals footy anywhere. The different ground across city helps get over the Swans loss. Giants should use Eagles 2006 as encouragement and possible vengeance.

Lions haven’t finished well in their last couple games. Have a few underperformers whereas the Giants mostly had good contributions.

Lions also haven’t played there since a Demons game in covid 2021. Tend to play their last few away at Manuka. They did manage to win their last two at the venue against the Giants in 2019-20 and have never been flogged there.

How Kingsley regroups them might decide it. They’ve never really had a narrow non-elim from finals before as a club (2017 QF they were pumped and too out of form to really feel contention pressure anyway).

Last edited:
Giants play decent finals footy anywhere. The different ground across city helps get over the Swans loss. Giants should use Eagles 2006 as encouragement and possible vengeance.

Lions haven’t finished well in their last couple games. Have a few underperformers whereas the Giants mostly had good contributions.

Lions also haven’t played there since a Demons game in covid 2021. Tend to play their last few away at Manuka. They did manage to win their last two at the venue against the Giants in 2019-20 and have never been flogged there.
Good post.

But are the Giants comparable to the Eagles of 06?

Good post.

But are the Giants comparable to the Eagles of 06?
Lose a hometown QF thriller to a strong rival (year after coming so close to the flag). Ended up seeing them again in the GF after beating the dogs in Perth (who won that previous fixture) and getting through the Crowbots away. Should the Swans make it, it’s a kind of precedent the Giants should take heed in.

Giants are yet to be straight setted or bungled out immediately. They tend to be good value in September and play to position at the least. They have lost their last two games though. By SF it would’ve been 4 weeks since their last victory.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Concerned yesterday’s loss may haunt the boys and we get rolled over against the Lions.
Add to that the war we had with the Swans vs the training run the Lions had with the Blues…

Not confident.
Maybe that was the best 2 teams yesterday

Giants to win this one by 3-4 goals

Concerned yesterday’s loss may haunt the boys and we get rolled over against the Lions.
Add to that the war we had with the Swans vs the training run the Lions had with the Blues…

Not confident.
It'll be interesting to see how each group pulls up. You guys had a slog fest and us not so much.

Either way this should be a close game I'd imagine.

No real preference as to who our opponent is next week: it's going to be tough either way. I have a feeling about Brisbane though.

I love seeing those stats like the one that flashed up at 3/4 time on Saturday, that the Giants hadn't lost a game when leading at the final change under Kingsley (I think it was just in 2024, but could have been all-time). Because I truly believe in factors into a playing group's psyche far more than most people probably realise, even if the player's aren't aware of the precise stat: that somewhere in their subconscious they'd know that they've been able to take care of business when they've been in control of a game in the latter stages.

I guess the Hawthorn loss in Launceston could be argued, but that seemed like more of a back-and-forth slugfest from memory, rather than the Giants truly being in control.

I go back to their win over Geelong at GMHBA: they were leading by 5+ goals midway through the third, Geelong came back to hit the lead in time on of the fourth, Greene kicks a goal to snatch the lead back, the Giants hang on for several minutes to hang on for the win. That's unusual for us, especially at GMHBA: we might have some comebacks that ultimately fall short, but if we manage to get our noses in front, we'd expect to go on with it. Something kicked in with the Giants at the point. And I wonder if Sydney's comeback in such a crucial game has taken some of that self-belief away. Now they know they can be gotten from that situation.

Giants by 32 points.
Thought they were fantastic against top quality opposition, away from home, last week, despite falling short.
I'd also give them a chance against the Cats, the following week. Don't think Bris will get close, if they win this one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 First Semi Final - GWS V Lions Sat Sept 14th 7:30pm EST (Engie) Teams in OP

Back