Autopsy AFL 2024 First Semi Final - GWS V Lions Sat Sept 14th 7:30pm EST (Engie) Teams in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• GWS by a goal or less

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • GWS by 7 - 20

Votes: 41 35.7%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • GWS by a lot

Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I honestly reckon GWS will lose this.

Last week will be mental battle for them. They should have beaten the Swans easily, didn't capitalise on complete first half dominance and let them stay in the game.

Brisbane are coming off a pretty Un bruising game against Carlton.

Giants have beaten the Lions both times this season, so they have their measure. They also have a better spread of goal kickers which makes them less predictable to defend. And I reckon they only lost to the Swans because they went tactical in the last quarter to defend their lead.

Giants by 16 points.

Reckon Kingsley is the sort of coach who can help the players put a heartbreaking loss behind them pretty quickly. If the same Giants turn up that had us on toast for most of the game on Saturday then they can beat Brisbane.

The Lions are a much better starting team than the Swans though, so GWS will need to be switched on right from the start again. If they get through the early onslaught then they’ll run out handy winners for mine.

An interesting game that could go either way. Just hoping the Lions can get the job done this week

Giants: No travelling with that home ground advantage. Played great footy against the Swans away.
Beat Lions twice this year. A big 54-point win in R 7 (Manuka) and in R 22 (Gabba) an 18-point win.

Lions: Travel to Engie Stadium where they last played GWS in R7 2020 and had a 20-point win, but that was a long time ago.
Still helpful in that the Lions don't have any mental scars about big defeats on that ground.
Lions should have put GWS away in the recent Gabba game, but bad kicking is bad football, 8-16 to 13-4.
This needs rectifying for the Lions to be a chance to win the game.

Hopefully no injuries from the game as both teams will want everyone available to play the Cats the following week.

My concern with GWS is that for all of their 3 quarters of dominance last week, it wasn’t reflected in the scoreboard - they kicked 10 goals in that time.

They have good talent all over the park but they are a defence first team.

Brisbane do have the ability to put together a 5-7 goal quarter and a big score together, but their conversion is an issue as it was the last time they met.

A lot of variables in this game:

Do the Lions kick straight?

Can Hogan kick a bag?

Does Bedford come back to sit on Neale?

I think this will be the better game than Port Hawks.

Unless Hogan kicks 5/6 goals, I think Lions will get it done

Have GWS played their Grand Final? Nor really but it was a big effort and maybe a big let down.

Brisbane have such skill they can stay in touch even when they're being flogged around the ground...although this year they have faded more than in the past.

I think I'm rationalising here, head says Giants even though gut and heart say Lions.

It's a shame, I tipped Brisbane to beat Port in the GF back in February, that's been a roller-coaster of a tip but now it's almost the least likely (maybe Hawks Giants is less).

I thought Giants lacked counter attack speed q4. Swans upped the ante in a spectacular manner and Giants couldn't get on the front foot.

Lots of meditation this week I hope, be calm, smile, everything's gonna be okay, don't panic, just play like it's your last game. As it could well be.

I think also tactically Giants need to prepare to blunt the lions matchwinners in certain scenarios. They get drive of half back and that needs to be dealt with. The ruck threat also needs to be attended to.

Backs to wall, go Giants!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Giants have beaten the Lions both times this season, so they have their measure. They also have a better spread of goal kickers which makes them less predictable to defend. And I reckon they only lost to the Swans because they went tactical in the last quarter to defend their lead.

Giants by 16 points.
I think the giants are deserved slight faves. Such a good finals brand being the main one.
But not sure what the better spread of goal kickers is based on?

Giants: hogan 72, greene 41, cadman 29, riccardi 26 (out of the side), daniels 23

Lions: daniher 52, cameron 39, hipwood 30, lohman 29, rayner 28, morris 20 (from 16 games)

I’d say we have a slightly better spread, and it’s much more about whether we can stop Hogan, and whether Greene rediscovers some form vs Starcevich

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 First Semi Final - GWS V Lions Sat Sept 14th 7:30pm EST (Engie) Teams in OP

Back