Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 12 - Port v Blues Thurs May 30th 7:30pm AEST (AO)

Who will win and by how much?

• Port by a goal or less

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 20 27.4%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 5.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, #FREEKICKCURNOW mate

Let’s not hold the defender accountable for poor defending.

I'm not saying the free kick wasn't there. I'm saying it was. I'm just saying there was no need to do it and there are better alternatives for a defender to execute in stifling a forward from marking it.

Naturally if you put yourself in the shoes of a forward, while contesting a forward, and read the ball, more often than not you'll find yourself either marking it or stifling it more frequently.

Having your hands free is prior. At least that's what the rules consider it as. You have an opportunity to handball it, or if one arm free, reasonable time given to drop it to attempt to kick. Making a genuine attempt has always been a factor in free kicks way before the tightening of the rules.

Not trying to, despite having the limbs free to do so, is the equivalent of diving onto a ball in a stoppage hoping for a ball up.

HTB.

Watch more footy.
Having hands free is not the same as prior. If he tries to drop the ball to foot and it hits the deck with prior, it's htb. It's not without prior.

That example just then with the Horny one was exactly the same thing. Horny had an arm free and made no attempt, because clearly he can't in that position flailing sideways against the deck. Why wasn't it pad then?

I'm not saying the free kick wasn't there. I'm saying it was. I'm just saying there was no need to do it and there are better alternatives for a defender to execute in stifling a forward from marking it.

Naturally if you put yourself in the shoes of a forward, while contesting a forward, and read the ball, more often than not you'll find yourself either marking it or stifling it more frequently.

No I think you’re spot on. I’m just horrible at this sarcasm stuff.

TDK is turning into an elite ruck/forward, a shame the Saints missed out on him. I guess we will just have to settle for Weitering.

He’d still miss the goal

At least he would get more chances to miss the goal if they gave him the free kicks Curnow gets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least he would get more chances to miss the goal if they gave him the free kicks Curnow gets.
Like all 6 or so from the whole season??

Check the stats and your own spud in King has more free kicks so far from less games played ya muppet.

Having hands free is not the same as prior.

It is if you have reasonable time. Which was tightened with the new rules.

HTB.

That example just then with the Horny one was exactly the same thing.

Wasn't, because JHF wasn't swinging 360. Didn't have the reasonable time before being sat upon on the ground.

Not HTB.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 12 - Port v Blues Thurs May 30th 7:30pm AEST (AO)

Back