Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 8 - Demons v Cats Sat May 4th 7:30pm AEST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 30 44.1%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Tells you how good Geelong are when their two big forwards don’t score and they still barely lose. Well done dees.
Honestly dont take too much negative from this.

Alot of good signs for geelong out of that loss given the way the game was played and we still had the opportunity to win it with 5 minutes left.

Credit to Goodwin and the dees, they knew how to take our game away and did it. I just feel sorry for the neutrals having to watch that on free to air.
Don't feel sorry for me. I am used to low scoring games. I have been drugged up with Ross Lyon footy for over a decade lol

Jezza had a absolute mare very rare.

Yep very quiet and when he had a chance to influence the game he was well off.

Not all bad signs we still had a number of guys play pretty well, just a case of Melbourne getting us into their game and they did it very well and we didn’t really manage to string together enough passages on end to break free of it.

It is a problem for Geelong as in 2022 Hawkins was a force of nature. He is no longer that player so it is a bit of a handicap in terms of possibly winning the flag.

I don't think we need him to be, with O.Henry and Miers in particular, generating enough to at least break even from our 2022 production, even allowing for Hawkins' diminished returns. We just need Hawkins to pull a game like the one he had against Adelaide every now and then to keep the defences honest and allow Cameron to get on his bike up the ground. Otherwise, it might be time to look to the future with an extended run for Shannon Neale.

The better team won. I thought that while Stanley battled gamely for most of the evening, Gawn really helped pull them over the line in the last quarter. I thought Lever was immense. Dees controlled the air, usually a strength of ours. And yet it was right there for the taking. Just need to get back to winning form next week now, another challenging few weeks ahead.

We will have to go away and really analyse what they did from that.

Everything went melbournes way and nothing went ours all night.

Incredibly poor performance from cameron cam guthrie hawkins jack henry. Easily the worst they have played all season in a rare one.
I don't think it's that much analysis. They just held players back defensively and stopped us running into space. Not rocket science.

I’d say it was. Problem is that you were playing the all round best team in the league
I don’t think Geelong are the best team, midfield is mediocre at best and lose your most in form midfielder to a shoulder and your best midfielder back from injury, and some poor play, well done to dees, too good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think Geelong are the best team, midfield is mediocre at best and lose your most in form midfielder to a shoulder and your best midfielder back from injury, and some poor play, well done to dees, too good.
Like I said before the game, our weaknesses are really obvious. Just this is the first time a team has both had the talent available to take our game away, and has also actually wanted to do that.

Is it hubris or is it morbid acceptance of reality? I'm not saying Neale is some amazing player either

It also might be about 2 bottles McLaren Vale Shiraz speaking

Sam Newman was nursed to 300, from about his 220th game. Its nice to think coaches are loyal to players but you can rest him in the tough games and he still gets 13 or 14 games for the year and easily beats Selwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 8 - Demons v Cats Sat May 4th 7:30pm AEST (MCG)

Back