Autopsy AFL 2024 Second Elimination Final - Dogs v Hawks Fri Sept 6th 7:40pm EST (MCG) - Teams in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Dogs by a goal or less

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Hawks by a goal or less

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Dogs by 7 - 20

Votes: 83 30.0%
  • Hawks by 7 - 20

Votes: 89 32.1%
  • Dogs by a lot

Votes: 36 13.0%
  • Hawks by a lot

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 6 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

H2H record in Finals:
  • Grand Final (1961) = Hawthorn 94-51 Footscray
  • Qualifying Final (1985) = Footscray 62-155 Hawthorn
  • Preliminary Final (1985) = Footscray 99-109 Hawthorn
  • Qualifying Final (2008) = Hawthorn 127-76 Western Bulldogs
  • Semi Final (2016) = Hawthorn 84-107 Western Bulldogs
Hawthorn leads the H2H record 4-1.

Was mentioned, winner makes grand final each time

Hawthorn supporters are confident because we've won 14 of our past 18 games, with 2 losses by a combined 3 points after being 5 goals in front at three quarter time in both. Quite an amazing sustained run or form for a team who started 0-5.

Dogs supporters are confident because their side has convincingly beaten 3 of the top 4 teams in the competition quite recently, and go in with more finals experience than their younger opponents.

Honestly, neither are right or wrong. The confidence comes from genuine areas.

Hopefully it just lives up to the hype and the winner goes on to win the flag.

Genuine 50/50 game, The Hawks play the MCG as good as anyone so if it's wet it might suit them a little bit more.

I expect their odds @ $2.10 to shorten by the day of the game.

Not much of a VFA/AFL finals heritage between these two clubs. I'd go out on a limb and say they most likely played more finals against each other in the VFA pre 1925.
Seems to be a common pattern, though, with some teams. West Coast and Fremantle have never met in finals, and it's been 30 seasons together. Also, West Coast has never played Richmond or St Kilda in a final in 38 seasons of it being a possibility. Only 5 finals games together in 100 seasons seems to not be strange when you consider that, to be honest. Although, West Coast and Sydney did play 5 finals games together in 3 seasons between 2004 to 2006.

Seems to be a common pattern, though, with some teams. West Coast and Fremantle have never met in finals, and it's been 30 seasons together. Also, West Coast has never played Richmond or St Kilda in a final in 38 seasons of it being a possibility. Only 5 finals games together in 100 seasons seems to not be strange when you consider that, to be honest. Although, West Coast and Sydney did play 5 finals games together in 3 seasons between 2004 to 2006.

Strangely we've never played Richmond in a final.

I think very strange the hawks did not get to Barrass and Battle and tell them or their management to say nothing until their finals campaign finals was finished. Not saying they are not good gets but it is saying a couple of the current defenders are not good enough. Hardly filling them full of confidence going into the dogs game.

I think very strange the hawks did not get to Barrass and Battle and tell them or their management to say nothing until their finals campaign finals was finished. Not saying they are not good gets but it is saying a couple of the current defenders are not good enough. Hardly filling them full of confidence going into the dogs game.
More of an acknowledgement that we have guys playing out of their weight division. Frost is more of a hybrid defender than a true kpf, Scrimshaw ditto. And we ideally want Sicily floating as a 3rd tall primarily to intercept.
But I think Battle may be seen as a Mitch Lewis replacement up forward so it's potentially filling just one position in a back six that's looked pretty reliable and assured, with & without the ball.
Anyways Friday night will be a good test versus three in form talls in a knockout final

More of an acknowledgement that we have guys playing out of their weight division. Frost is more of a hybrid defender than a true kpf, Scrimshaw ditto. And we ideally want Sicily floating as a 3rd tall primarily to intercept.
But I think Battle may be seen as a Mitch Lewis replacement up forward so it's potentially filling just one position in a back six that's looked pretty reliable and assured, with & without the ball.
Anyways Friday night will be a good test versus three in form talls in a knockout final
Is Lewis done for? He's had two ACL injuries hasn't he.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Partial tear in 2023 preseason and tear in July of this year, looking on Google.
Came back well from the partial tear, and then the full ACL in July was because he got knocked out in mid-air going back with the flight and landed in an unnatural position.

We can easily cover for him in the first half of next year:
  • Gunston signed on for 2025
  • Battle coming across who can swing forward
  • Barass coming across who will allow either Weddle or Sicily to swing forward
  • Dear with another full pre-season

He is loved at the club and is also a great leader, we'll give him the time he needs to recover and get back to his best.

I won't be surprised at all if one of these clubs snags a prelim final appearance v Sydney or Giants. Wouldn't want to lose on Thursday night this week.
Assuming Port beats the Cats in Adelaide, the winner of this game plays the Cats on the MCG next week.

I agree, the winner of Dogs/Hawks should go into that game as the favourite.

Assuming Port beats the Cats in Adelaide, the winner of this game plays the Cats on the MCG next week.

I agree, the winner of Dogs/Hawks should go into that game as the favourite.
I would agree with the Dogs being favourites. But Geelong has an excellent record bouncing back in a Semi.
They have lost a QF times (2010, 2013, 2014, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021) and won the semi every time except 2014. And usually by big margins too

Another way to look at it...bringing in some quality to defence opens up more options, eg would free up Hardwick and Sicily to play more fwd time, Frost no longer has to take on the no. 1 oppo forward so he becomes more impactful. At the moment we are a little inflexible and light on for talls plus Blanck (full back) has had a couple of setbacks with his rehab.

I would agree with the Dogs being favourites. But Geelong has an excellent record bouncing back in a Semi.
They have lost a QF times (2010, 2013, 2014, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021) and won the semi every time except 2014. And usually by big margins too

If its Hawks v Cats, that means Hawks have come off a win (at the MCG) and the Cats have come off a loss after travelling interstate.

It would probably be a true 50/50 game, assuming no important Hawks get injured and Will Day is confirmed fit to play.

All relies on us beating the Dogs this week of course.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 Second Elimination Final - Dogs v Hawks Fri Sept 6th 7:40pm EST (MCG) - Teams in OP

Back