AFL @ Adelaide's Oval - That time is now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone know why we don’t use the virtual stadium for new memberships, the page that we use is ridiculous and would put people off as it is so hard to look at and use. Compare that to the Power who uses the virtual stadium which is a breeze to use. I wonder how many potential members have tried and given up as ours really is hard to use. (This is giving Port a massive free kick as their website is a million times better than ours is for new/prospective members).

Is this only for new members? I agree it's sad and a bad first impression if someone was choosing a team to support it could be a turn off. It was great for old members renewing being able to select specific seats was great!

No they serve a function, the 100 year old scoreboard serves NO function for AFL.

FFS I get it cricket lovers think it is the bees knees, AFL have compromised alot - the scoreboard is part of that compromise.

I really don't understand this viewpoint.

I was standing on the hill packed in with the other fans for the first game of AFL at AO and it is probably the best experience I've had at a football game, ever. With the rest of the stadium having been redone I can't wait to get back there, it will be fantastic. The hill and scoreboard are icons of Adelaide Oval and will set our ground apart from every other major AFL stadium. I'm not sure you would even get that many more in a stand than you can fit on the hill shoulder to shoulder?

I also take it not being a cricket fan you haven't enjoyed sitting on the hill for a test match among countless like minded fans watching a game you love. Don't knock it till you try it would be my advice.

Go stand on the hill one sunny day this winter with your fellow fans and see if you don't change your mind.

131127PortAdelaidevMelbourne.jpg

I mean, what is not to like about that?

Placing a roof and/or a 4th stand on the hill of this stadium would have been a complete waste of time.

1. We live in Adelaide, we have 1.2m people and the slowest population growth of any major city in the country. If the southern stand were to be duplicated at the northern end, capacity would be in excess of 65,000 and with the exception of showdowns and the occasional final, neither club will be consistently capable of drawing crowds even close to that figure for the foreseeable future.

2. Bigger stadium = higher rent, if you're not filling those seats then you're losing money. Until 1 or both of the AFL clubs have a membership waiting list or demand for membership which significantly exceeds the current 53,000 capacity of the Oval, building a 4th stand would be a waste of time and would not necessarily result in increased revenue for the Crows or for Port.

3. Adelaide is situated in the driest state, in the driest habitable continent on Earth. I have never heard a single logical argument for an indoor stadium in this city, and that's because there are none. It seems as though people who advocate this type of design follow the 'Melbourne is a big city and they have one therefore we need to have one' argument which is completely ridiculous. We are Adelaide, we should build a stadium which suits our city and our climate. If you're worried about getting wet or getting too hot when you come to the game, buy a more expensive ticket and make sure you're sitting under cover.

4. Once completed, the Adelaide Oval will have the best 'stadium experience' of any sporting venue in the country in terms of the proximity of the stands to the centre of the ground and the atmosphere that will generate, the facilities available to spectators, and the uniqueness of the design. When you go to Adelaide Oval, you are consciously aware that this isn't just another stadium, this is a special ground and spectators will come from all over the country and all over the world specifically to experience it. The hill, scoreboard and the figs are an integral part of that appeal, and all 3 will remain so long as they remain safe to the public and the cost to maintain them does not become too high.

5. To whoever said that the scoreboard served no purpose for AFL:
092114-afl-at-the-oval.jpg

I really don't understand this viewpoint.

I was standing on the hill packed in with the other fans for the first game of AFL at AO and it is probably the best experience I've had at a football game, ever. With the rest of the stadium having been redone I can't wait to get back there, it will be fantastic. The hill and scoreboard are icons of Adelaide Oval and will set our ground apart from every other major AFL stadium. I'm not sure you would even get that many more in a stand than you can fit on the hill shoulder to shoulder?

I also take it not being a cricket fan you haven't enjoyed sitting on the hill for a test match among countless like minded fans watching a game you love. Don't knock it till you try it would be my advice.

Go stand on the hill one sunny day this winter with your fellow fans and see if you don't change your mind.

131127PortAdelaidevMelbourne.jpg

I mean, what is not to like about that?

I think it will be a good spot for sold out feature games that everyone wants to be at (atmosphere will be great, especially being so close to the oppositions cheer squad, something I plan on experiencing at some point during the year). Possibly only at the warmer ends of the season. Regular matches not so much? seemed to be plenty of spots available there today meaning most Port people opted to pay for a seat rather than the free standing on the hill option.

Port games in winter there will probably be enough room at the back of the stands for a lot (all) of your GA members attending to get out of the rain.

I fear that in the colder weather it will put Crows supporters who will have no option off from going all together, I bet for a lot it will.

I think it will be a good spot for sold out feature games that everyone wants to be at (atmosphere will be great, especially being so close to the oppositions cheer squad, something I plan on experiencing at some point during the year). Possibly only at the warmer ends of the season. Regular matches not so much? seemed to be plenty of spots available there today meaning most Port people opted to pay for a seat rather than the free standing on the hill option.

Port games in winter there will probably be enough room at the back of the stands for a lot (all) of your GA members attending to get out of the rain.

I fear that in the colder weather it will put Crows supporters who will have no option off from going all together, I bet for a lot it will.

If anything I would prefer standing in the rain than sitting in the rain, plenty of people attend that don't sit under cover and yes not everyone will want to attend wet matches but that would be a pretty similar % of all crowds. I agree that it will definitely be a very attractive option at the warmer ends of the year.

It will be interesting to see how the grass handles the traffic on wet days. Unless it turns into a total quagmire it shouldn't be a problem, I have watched plenty of local and schoolboy football standing on wet grass.

You won't see crows fans on the hill in the dead of winter. It will look like a suburban ground for most of the matches.

Geez AO gets cold even during the summer, you can imagine on a dark wet windy Adelaide day the numbers will be down for sure.

I sat between the Eastern and Southern stands during the first day of the test and was freezing in that gap where the wind can get through. That was Dec 5th.

I went to an ODI d/n and wore a tshirt because it was a fairly warm day, by evening I was suffering from the cold.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes.

He kicked a few bombs from 50 and they went into the stand behind easy.

Bringing Pods to the Club I think will end up being a masterstroke move by Sando.

Pods has already helped Smack and allowed Tex to take the time without the stress.

I really hope Pods kicks a bag against the Cats. To my surprise Pods has about a 50:50 record of kicking goals at Simmonds compared to elsewhere.

Because you can't expand the ground capacity with the scoreboard and the grass. Keeping the scoreboard is obviously for the cricket (not used for AFL) therefore it hurts the CROWS (who are in the AFL & Vlad loves more members) that we can't sell more memberships.

I hope you understand now, by legislating that a patch of grass and scoreboard must remain it WILL hurt AFL (crows) in the future - this is beyond dispute FFS.
With the right engineering and architecture you could (excuse the poor paint skills) while keeping the hill and scoreboard (but the trees would likely have to go)

aonorf.png

That's just music to my ears.

Don't worry, their will still be some more doomsayers who have a red hot source who knows Tex has had his leg cut off in 4 places. :thumbsu:

He wasn't twisting, turning or pivoting yet but he was moving very freely, leading and leaping to mark the ball and kicking drop punts from 50 out and hitting the back fence.

He was looking good.

Do you have a link to this? We've been allocated our reserved seats in the Western Stand, but they're nowhere near where we requested. We were told if we didn't like them, we could get a refund, but would go on the 1500 member waiting list to try to get different seats.
See how this works...

Margo Francis we applied for three seats and only my dad got offered a seat!!! and our family freinds (two groups actually) got denied seats after being gold members from day one!!! what is going on??

Like · Reply · 8 March at 18:54

Hide 11 Replies.

Adelaide Football Club Margo Francis, I'm not in membership but please call the Club on Tuesday. I'm not sure of the reserved seating situation in the western stand.

Like · 8 March at 19:24

Margo Francis well this is not good enough, I understand its nothing to do with you,but what does the club expect us to do with one seat? 20 years loyalty and we went to both GF's and this is how they repay us? I am bloody not happy. Please pass this on to the club! There are going to be a lot of pissed off people ringing on Tuesday!!!!!!!!!!!

Like · 8 March at 19:26

Margo Francis I want my three seats thankyou!! whats the point of one seat!!!

Like · 8 March at 19:31

Adelaide Football Club Margo Francis I just spoke to Membership and was asked to pass on that anyone affected this way should contact the Members Services next week and they will help.

Like · 8 March at 19:37

Margo Francis thankyou for your fast reponse, but they need to know they cant do this to the loyal members. I would hope that they will be fixing this.......new members should not be getting priority over members from day one. If this is the case , I will take it to the media if I have too. Thankyou AFC

Like · 8 March at 19:41

Adelaide Football Club The reserved ticketing was not sent out by the AFC

Like · 8 March at 19:44

Margo Francis But there was a priority period whereby members could apply to regain seats and/or similar seats to what they had at AAMI. We were told this. And afc should have passed on priority membership enquiries to whomever was allocating seats. You cant have members that have been gold from day one and have had reserved seats since 1991 and get told "sorry mate you dont have seats this year" ( and there are three families that I know of that this has happend too). The AFC needs to speak to these people, because your loyal members are the ones that have sat through rain or shine to watch the boys play, including in Melbourne which is NOT cheap. There needs to be something done on behalf of the AFC about this debacle, because this simply cannot happen.

Like · 1 · 8 March at 19:49

Adelaide Football Club Yes, understand that. That's why the Club wants anyone affected to contact members services

Like · 8 March at 19:52

Margo Francis Thanks AFC, I'm not mad at you, I'm mad at the system. I am grateful that you have passed on this information

Like · 8 March at 19:53

Adelaide Football Club That's okay, best wishes

Like · 8 March at 20:31

Don Houston Whoo!! I'm glad that has worked out!!!

Like · 9 March at 20:36

Oh yeah, the indoor training facility/indoor cricket is coming along very nice.

This is where the club will hold after match functions instead if the shed. It should hold about 3000 people and looks very spacious inside.

This wasn't even started last time I was at the oval before Christmas.

Not sure if you guys are are aware of this?

I presume Crow members will get the discounted rate as well

There will be 3 other concerts during the year - second Showdown, one other Crows home game and one other Port home game (still yet to be confirmed what games they will be)

620x370liveatthedrive-620_620X370.jpg

Live at the Drive - You Am I and Spiderbait - Saturday 29 March

LIVE MUSIC is back at Memorial Drive with Australian rock legends You Am I and Spiderbait to pump out their classic tunes after the historic first Showdown at the redeveloped Adelaide Oval.

The iconic Memorial Drive tennis centre will play host to Live at the Drive after four AFL games throughout the 2014 AFL Premiership Season and feature some of the best live acts going around.

It's all part of a drive to bring the city alive after the conclusion of games at the new home of South Australian football.

Gates to Live at the Drive will open at 6:00pm, but organisers have emphasised proceedings will start well after the end of Balfours Showdown XXXVI, with Spiderbait kicking things off at 8:00pm.

Port Adelaide members will be able purchase tickets for the reduced rate of $32, with the club to email instructions on how to take up the reduced priced offer in the coming days.

The general admission price is $42.
Live at the Drive featuring You Am I and Spiderbait
Date:
Saturday 29 March, 2014
Time: Doors open at 6pm (concert will start after the game at 8pm)
Price: $32 for PAFC members/$42 for non-members
Tickets: Available through Ticketmaster here

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL @ Adelaide's Oval - That time is now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back