AFL @ Adelaide's Oval - That time is now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't see too many people forking out $32 for that to be honest. Metricon Stadium has a similar concept, but the concerts are free. The Clipsal concerts are effectively free (if you go to the actual race as well as the concert). People are used to concerts with sporting events to be free, not at an extra cost.

Is this a Port organised thing or something else?

It's not a horrible idea, but if its just them doing the organising I don't know that a lot Crows supporters would want to support it. Just has the feel of cashing in on our crowds, and if people don't like the idea of financially supporting them with the Showdown I don't know how open people would be to paying the equivalent of an extra footy ticket for this.

If its a neutral thing then good luck to it, but as above I think people expect music attached to sport to be built into the cost.

Unless this is just an excuse to put on some average local performer during our games so Port can make it known that its their home ground to haha.

Last edited:
It's not a horrible idea from Port but if its just them doing the organising I don't know that a lot Crows supporters would want to support it. Just has the feel of Port cashing in on our crowds, and if people don't like the idea of financially supporting them with the Showdown I don't know how open people would be to paying the equivalent of an extra footy ticket for this.

If its a neutral thing then good luck to it, but as above I think people expect music attached to sport to be built into the cost.

Unless this is just an excuse to put on some average local performer during our games so Port can make it known that its their home ground to haha.
It has nothing to do with Port. It is Tennis SA who are in charge of it.

There will be a concert at a Crows home game when you play another team plus the second showdown. Port will have another concert as well later in the year.

There will be a concert at a Crows home game when you play another team plus the second showdown. Port will have another concert as well later in the year.

Fair enough, I just did a slight edit after reading up on it, caught the end of the 5AA interview this afternoon and sounded like it was a Port thing.

I take your word for it but it's a bit disappointing they didn't add the crows members to the advertising flyer that they get a discount.

Even if they have a separate poster for Crows supporters, It's poor planning. They only needed one poster design.

not a fault of the ground

394762-4723436a-6043-11e3-be16-1445237cc09f.jpg
The ground could be built for the wrong people though.

I take your word for it but it's a bit disappointing they didn't add the crows members to the advertising flyer that they get a discount.

Even if they have a separate poster for Crows supporters, It's poor planning. They only needed one poster design.
The poster does say "AFL Club Members" no specific reference to Port members or even Adelaide members at all. I wonder if you could get the discount if you were a member of any AFL club?

However, Port do rent some office space from Tennis SA and Keith Thomas did suggest some comercial opportunities for the precinct would be explored. I am guessing this is one of them?

“We will also continue to explore any commercial opportunities that may exist within this precinct,” Mr Thomas said.

http://www.tennis.com.au/sa/news/20...football-club-to-memorial-drive-tennis-centre

http://www.fiveaa.com.au/audio_keith-thomas-live-in-the-studio_108319

2 minutes in, a lot of "we did this" and "Kochie thought that" I don't know... he went on to say it wont be Port branded but there was no mention of us being involved. Sounded like a joint venture between Port, concert promoters and Tennis SA. I guess we will see if the Crows promote it, but I can't imagine it being a success if they are just trying to benefit from our crowds.

Uh, the ground is complete
I know someone who works there, spoke to him on Tuesday.
The ground isn't complete, it wont be complete at handover.
It'll look good, most major things will be done, but there will still be some small stuff here and there that'll still need work on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know someone who works there, spoke to him on Tuesday.
The ground isn't complete, it wont be complete at handover.

The post you're responding to is a reply to a post which took the view that the ground isn't "complete" until it has stands all the way around.

The post you're responding to is a reply to a post which took the view that the ground isn't "complete" until it has stands all the way around.
I never re-read quotes.
Wastes time reading the same thing twice.

So I apologise for taking something out of context.

Is this a Port organised thing or something else?

It's not a horrible idea, but if its just them doing the organising I don't know that a lot Crows supporters would want to support it. Just has the feel of cashing in on our crowds, and if people don't like the idea of financially supporting them with the Showdown I don't know how open people would be to paying the equivalent of an extra footy ticket for this.

It's a sad state of affairs if opposition crowds don't attend an event purely because their side might not be involved in the organisation of it. A big benefit of the move to AO was to get people into the city before and after matches, both sides should be supporting these kinds of events no matter who has a hand in it so they keep happening. Fair enough if the line up doesn't interest you, but if you're keen on the bands go along, the discount is there for any AFL member.

It's a sad state of affairs if opposition crowds don't attend an event purely because their side might not be involved in the organisation of it. A big benefit of the move to AO was to get people into the city before and after matches, both sides should be supporting these kinds of events no matter who has a hand in it so they keep happening. Fair enough if the line up doesn't interest you, but if you're keen on the bands go along, the discount is there for any AFL member.

Don't necessarily disagree, I get to all the Showdowns I can and the ones I can't the reason has never been Port related.

It's just how I see it going for the majority of people if it is a partnership heavily linked to Port. It probably would of gone the exact same way if the Crows had tried to organise some sort of after match function for Port supporters.

Hopefully the line ups are good enough to see past the rivalry.

Don't necessarily disagree, I get to all the Showdowns I can and the ones I can't the reason has never been Port related.

It's just how I see it going for the majority of people if it is a partnership heavily linked to Port. It probably would of gone the exact same way if the Crows had tried to organise some sort of after match function for Port supporters.

Hopefully the line ups are good enough to see past the rivalry.

Other than Port advertising it on their site (and why wouldn't they..... It's their home game, it'll benefit their members) I'm yet to see anything linking them to the gig. No logo on the flyer, no "PAFC presents....", nothing.

Other than Port advertising it on their site (and why wouldn't they..... It's their home game, it'll benefit their members) I'm yet to see anything linking them to the gig. No logo on the flyer, no "PAFC presents....", nothing.

Yeah I don't know I was just going on the 5AA interview with Keith Thomas yesterday, made it sound like something he and Koch came up with as part of the Tennis SA partnership and that they were holding to keep their name off it to appeal to others.

Anyway like I said doesn't particularly bother me personally, I guess we will see if the Crows or Port advertise the ones at Crows games.

Page 26 of The Advertiser yesterday, cannot find it online:
The Port Adelaide Football Club has organised the concerts - billed as "Live At The Drive" - as part of club president David Koch's mission to "bring the fun back to footy."

The concerts will be after the March 29 and June 29 Showdowns, the Power-Fremantle game on May 10 and the Crows-West Coast clash on August 2. Two of these games are Crows' home matches. "We're not being exclusive to Port Adelaide fans," says Power chief executive Keith Thomas.

Port Adelaide is still to detail the card for the other three concerts.

So it seems that Port is trying to sneakily profit from Adelaide home games, good for them.
If there is money to be made here why aren't we involved or already have something similar planned? or have we once again been caught asleep at the wheel?

Page 26 of The Advertiser yesterday, cannot find it online:

So it seems that Port is trying to sneakily profit from Adelaide home games, good for them.
If there is money to be made here why aren't we involved or already have something similar planned? or have we once again been caught asleep at the wheel?

Well didn't we hear a while back that Adelaide wants to have live bands after their first home game in Round Three? That was mentioned well and truly before all of this came out.

See how this works...

Margo Francis we applied for three seats and only my dad got offered a seat!!! and our family freinds (two groups actually) got denied seats after being gold members from day one!!! what is going on??

Like · Reply · 8 March at 18:54

Don Houston Whoo!! I'm glad that has worked out!!!

Like · 9 March at 20:36

*cut for space saving*

I suppose we should be grateful for getting reserved seats at all?

I checked them out on Wednesday, and they're undercover, but much further around the oval than we've had at AAMI for the past several years. We'll be more exposed to the weather, not that there should be too much coming from the northern end, hopefully).

We had an ideal set up at AAMI, with great seats in the Western Stand, a car park on Max Basheer reserve, and exit times from that car park never being longer than 10 minutes.

*cut for space saving*

I suppose we should be grateful for getting reserved seats at all?

I checked them out on Wednesday, and they're undercover, but much further around the oval than we've had at AAMI for the past several years. We'll be more exposed to the weather, not that there should be too much coming from the northern end, hopefully).

We had an ideal set up at AAMI, with great seats in the Western Stand, a car park on Max Basheer reserve, and exit times from that car park never being longer than 10 minutes.

This is why I will never become a Western stand/SANFL Member, as why pay more money and have to get to the game two hours before the game to get a seat undercover?? Yes, I know you can reserve a seat in this area, but at $200 plus its a ridiculous add on! Give me my Reserved seat any day, I can rock up 5 mins before bounce down (I did this a lot last year) and sit comfortably in my under cover seat, if I did this in the Western stand, I would need to sit out in the open, No Thanks.

This is why I will never become a Western stand/SANFL Member, as why pay more money and have to get to the game two hours before the game to get a seat undercover?? Yes, I know you can reserve a seat in this area, but at $200 plus its a ridiculous add on! Give me my Reserved seat any day, I can rock up 5 mins before bounce down (I did this a lot last year) and sit comfortably in my under cover seat, if I did this in the Western stand, I would need to sit out in the open, No Thanks.

I have never thought about it like that, and I'm glad you brought that very valid point up. I was considering changing my membership to an essential Crow, but putting it into that perspective makes me consider otherwise.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL @ Adelaide's Oval - That time is now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back