AFL @ Adelaide's Oval - That time is now.

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing I have noticed on tv and in photos is how tiny the goal posts look in comparison to the southern stand. Its huge. Are they even half way up? Anyone got the stats. Goal post height v Top of stand height?

AFL goal posts at all venues are 15m and behind posts are 10m (and damn, as much as tall goal posts are amazing, it actually gets hard to see the ball flick the post when it's that high up!). I believe the light towers are 60m approx. Don't know about the stand.

I was not at the training session, but as I was in Adelaide overnight for work, I thought I would wander down to the Oval and see if I could get in. There was a number of conferences on including the club launch, however there was no noticeable security so I want for a wander. Here are some pics I took.

I have to say I am extremely jealous of this new ground and cant wait to come over for a game.

Great photos! You were very lucky to get in; so much for security.

One thing I have noticed on tv and in photos is how tiny the goal posts look in comparison to the southern stand. Its huge. Are they even half way up? Anyone got the stats. Goal post height v Top of stand height?

It's interesting that despite how big the MCG is the posts always look so tall and skinny ,very imposing. The only mention I could find about the height of the riverbank stand is that it is almost as tall as the Cathedral which stands at 51m.

adelaide-oval-upgrade-adelaide-football-adelaide-c2.jpg

Im thinking of going to the game earlier, just to soak up and absorb the surroundings around me and go for a walk around.

Is it worth it?

Yes.

And you won't be the only one.

Im thinking of going to the game earlier, just to soak up and absorb the surroundings around me and go for a walk around.

Is it worth it?

I'll be doing the same thing (aiming to get to AO 1/2 to 2 hours before game time), I'm hoping to get into the top level of Eastern stand, to try and have a look at my seat for Crows games (Not sure if I will be allowed up there though, as I am sitting in ground level for the showdown, and you had to have a special pass to get to the upper levels for strikers games.

Also, I'll be catching the train, and don't want to trust TransAdelaide to get me to the game on time if I leave getting there to the last minute. The public transport is going to be nuts for this first game, the real test for the train station especially will be after the game, when you have 25,000 people trying to find the right platform and get onto trains at the same time! (Getting through the boom gates at the station will be interesting!)

I was there doing a bit of a behind the scenes tour on Wednesday ( I sat in Bruce's commentary chair and looked int he crows players lockers in their change rooms). The outer edge of the Riverbank stand roof sits directly above the goal posts. If it is raining straight downwards, the goal umpire at that end doesn't get wet!
I can tell you one thing, have a good listen to the commentary at the first few games, because the TV and radio callers not from Adelaide are going to wet themselves with how good the stadium is. The view from the commentary boxes is amazing.

I'll be doing the same thing (aiming to get to AO 1/2 to 2 hours before game time),
Also, I'll be catching the train, and don't want to trust TransAdelaide to get me to the game on time if I leave getting there to the last minute.

Agreed, you would be damn foolish to arrive minutes before the start, anyone that does and complains need their heads checked, ample warning about the potential chaos.

I was there doing a bit of a behind the scenes tour on Wednesday ( I sat in Bruce's commentary chair and looked int he crows players lockers in their change rooms). The outer edge of the Riverbank stand roof sits directly above the goal posts. If it is raining straight downwards, the goal umpire at that end doesn't get wet!.

I love that, its going to be interesting where you could almost have dry areas of the ground because of the stands protecting the area.

This is Footy pr0n at its best IMO.

Agreed, you would be damn foolish to arrive minutes before the start, anyone that does and complains need their heads checked, ample warning about the potential chaos.

I love that, its going to be interesting where you could almost have dry areas of the ground because of the stands protecting the area.

This is Footy pr0n at its best IMO.
It made me wonder though...what happens if a kick at goal hits the roof there? Would have to be one massive kick, but could happen. What would the plan be from the AFL?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It made me wonder though...what happens if a kick at goal hits the roof there? Would have to be one massive kick, but could happen. What would the plan be from the AFL?
I'll bet that it'll never happen in a game.
Training though? Sure, someone might be tempted to try but it'd take one hell of a kick.

This is why I will never become a Western stand/SANFL Member, as why pay more money and have to get to the game two hours before the game to get a seat undercover?? Yes, I know you can reserve a seat in this area, but at $200 plus its a ridiculous add on! Give me my Reserved seat any day, I can rock up 5 mins before bounce down (I did this a lot last year) and sit comfortably in my under cover seat, if I did this in the Western stand, I would need to sit out in the open, No Thanks.

Seats in the Western Stand are just about half the price of the level 3 seats in the Eastern Stand, but you get more benefits with the Essential Crows membership (including the best benefit - not sitting around the same dickheads week in, week out)

This picture shows the view from the front row of Level 5. Some may find the glass and frame annoying.

OxBEah6.jpg

^^^^I guess it would depend on if ^your seat is high enough that if will allow you to look over the top of the glass or if you have to look through it.

It will get annoying if you have to look through it all game.

Won't be so bad if you can look over the top of it.

Is it worth it?

Absolutely.

If you haven't been yet, I'd recommend doing the above - the Oval really is sensational, you'll be marvelling at it for a while; try and get it out of the way before the crowd floods in and the footy starts ;)

Absolutely.

If you haven't been yet, I'd recommend doing the above - the Oval really is sensational, you'll be marvelling at it for a while; try and get it out of the way before the crowd floods in and the footy starts ;)

Thanks mate I might just do that, I think I will send my mate his ticket by email so he can rock up at any time.

I might just turn up at 1.30pm when gates open and go for a good long walk around.

I think the match would be "ruined" if you get there at around 4pm as a first timer
, it would be just too much to absorb all at once ie the ground, the view, your surroundings and on top of all that to watch the game as well.

Is there a museum or anything inside AO? Is it open to everyone? Would love to see memorabilia and take some photos.

I've been to the Oval 4 times, 3 days for the Test, and the ODI, and I'm still so stupidly excited about it.

It's bloody fantastic, and watching AFL there is going to be an entirely new experience; the Cricket was brilliant, and you'll never top the Cricket in someways, but the AFL will be, in a lot of other ways, even better.

I don't know about a museum, there is a bunch of stuff around all of the halls and corridors. There might be a cricket one on the back of the Western stand, but I'm not sure.

Seriously, anyone who hasn't been inside the Oval yet, you are going to be blown away :D

****, the Liberals are so pathetic, I might even vote Labor because of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL @ Adelaide's Oval - That time is now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back