Game Day AFL Finals 2024 - Match discussion party thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Why wouldn't it be before every final? They're separate events, often in different stadiums and even different states. They're likely to be entirely different Aboriginal communities. The Welcome to Country is about highlighting the cultural significance of a specific area, not Australia as a whole. It would seem disrespectful to have a blanket welcome to country at the beginning of the finals as if the Aboriginal people are just a monolith
huh? the purpose is an Aboriginal elder giving consent. which is why it is so ludicrous and decisive

Why wouldn't it be before every final? They're separate events, often in different stadiums and even different states. They're likely to be entirely different Aboriginal communities. The Welcome to Country is about highlighting the cultural significance of a specific area, not Australia as a whole. It would seem disrespectful to have a blanket welcome to country at the beginning of the finals as if the Aboriginal people are just a monolith.
The lack of enthusiasm is starting to show.

At my work we used to have the acknowledgement statement before every meeting.

One of our Aboriginal colleagues asked us to stop it because of how routine it became. Lost any meaning.

Bit the same here.

Why does it need to be done at all. It is corporate hijacking of a sacred process.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

8 years, 12 games.

This is one hell of a hoodoo Sydney have to snap.
They snapped a 10 game hoodoo against Collingwood in the 2012 prelim. Hawthorn broke an 11 game losing Streak (the Kennett Curse) against Geelong in the 2013 prelim.

That's one thing that's keeping my hopes up despite my concerns.

They don't usually pay that if the opposition player is calling for the ball.

Dumb by the ump, but that's expected these days.
Or the game was about to blow out, umpires need to take charge to close the gap.

Like Hawthorn's first 3 goals last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day AFL Finals 2024 - Match discussion party thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back