Game Day AFL Finals 2024 - Match discussion party thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We were officially reamed in that Prelim.

Before half time;

Essendon 16 frees
Adelaide 14

After half time:

Essendon 16
Adelaide 2

Totals:

Essendon 32
Adelaide 16

Amazing that despite being 7 goals up at half time, Essendon received 2 more frees than we did .
Man, thanks for the breakdown. I didn’t actually realise the raw numbers were 16-2 after HT. That’s bloody disgusting . Also reminds me of 1998 semi vs Sydney where it was 18-4 or something just before HT. Thank god for some VardyMagic.

May I ask where you got the stats from? Or you have the game recorded? Do you agree re the soft frees where a Dons player would get a slight touch and throw arms back in an exaggerated manner earning a free kick in front of goals

Man, thanks for the breakdown. I didn’t actually realise the raw numbers were 16-2 after HT. That’s bloody disgusting . Also reminds me of 1998 semi vs Sydney where it was 18-4 or something just before HT. Thank god for some VardyMagic.

May I ask where you got the stats from? Or you have the game recorded? Do you agree re the soft frees where a Dons player would get a slight touch and throw arms back in an exaggerated manner earning a free kick in front of goals
I had the game on VHS many years ago. Had to tape it as I played in my local golf club championship semi final (was only C grade and I f**** lost on the 18th)..

I forced myself to watch the game the next day.

At the time there was some controversy about the free kick count and watching it I can clearly remember from that Essendon got all the 50/50 calls their way for the whole day.

There was someone on radio who said we only got 1 free after half time but I remember watching it and I recall it being 2. All the while Essendon we’re getting the 50/50’s and we of course were not.

The only games today that come close to that are the last couple against Collingwood when it seems we get harshly treated whilst Collingwood get everything.

I had the game on VHS many years ago. Had to tape it as I played in my local golf club championship semi final (was only C grade and I f**** lost on the 18th)..

I forced myself to watch the game the next day.

At the time there was some controversy about the free kick count and watching it I can clearly remember from that Essendon got all the 50/50 calls their way for the whole day.

There was someone on radio who said we only got 1 free after half time but I remember watching it and I recall it being 2. All the while Essendon we’re getting the 50/50’s and we of course were not.

The only games today that come close to that are the last couple against Collingwood when it seems we get harshly treated whilst Collingwood get everything.

This actually says 32-15

That little shit Bewick would have had at least 3-4 gimme goals from ridiculous frees (4 in total) here also. Wanganeen 8 frees for but none against FFS. For those that say umps dont cost games this was a classic example proving it. Worse than 2016 GF when Swans were seriously bent over

I went back and watched the extended (40mins) highlights last night. Not sure I’ve revisited the game since 93.

Whilst umpiring wouldn’t have helped our cause, we completely shat the bed.

11.3 to 2.4 in the second half.

Kick a measly 4.2 and we win by 1pt. Most of the misses were sitters too.

Also footy was so much better back then. They all looked to take the game on and it was played at a cracking pace.

My premiership chance rankings

1. Sydney - beat us twice convincingly, favorites
2. Geelong - beat us twice but not as convincing
3. Brisbane - we drew with them, suggests they are flaky
4. Port Adelaide - we beat them, so they are flaky and also shit

Last edited:
I went back and watched the extended (40mins) highlights last night. Not sure I’ve revisited the game since 93.

Whilst umpiring wouldn’t have helped our cause, we completely shat the bed.

11.3 to 2.4 in the second half.

Kick a measly 4.2 and we win by 1pt. Most of the misses were sitters too.

Also footy was so much better back then. They all looked to take the game on and it was played at a cracking pace.
100%.

Andrew Jarman missed from 20 metres out, straight in front in the last quarter. That really hurt.

If we had won, reckon we might have beaten Carlton in the GF. We had the 2nd semi on even terms but kicked woefully (8-20).

How things could have been different. We will never know.....

My premiership chance rankings

1. Sydney - beat us twice convincingly, favorites
2. Geelong - beat us twice but not as convincing
3. Brisbane - we drew with them, suggests they are flaky
4. Port Adelaide - we beat them, so they are flaky and also shit
An “easy fixture” would have made no difference to our finals chances but double ups against all 4 of the preliminary finalists in less than ideal.

So Ticketek at the Entertainment Centre didnt open until 11:00. Tickets were already on sale on-line for two hours before then so these poor oldies who dont like buying on-line or dont know how to have missed out as tickets sold out before they got to the front of queue.

So Ticketek at the Entertainment Centre didnt open until 11:00. Tickets were already on sale on-line for two hours before then so these poor oldies who dont like buying on-line or dont know how to have missed out as tickets sold out before they got to the front of queue.
Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

Sydney vs Brisbane would be an interesting GF match-up, the two previous runners-up. I wonder when that last eventuated?

From what I could see, these are the two most recent;
1726476778900.png

1726478605138.png

There is also these two examples, although not entirely comparable, as although both finalists in Year 3 had lost a GF in the previous 2 seasons, one of the teams had also won the flag in the previous 2 years.

1726476877200.png

1726478721246.png

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney, Port, Geelong, Brisbane. **** me dead, what a shit sandwich to have left.

Only redeeming factor is that 3 are non Vics, but still, ugh.

Pretty easy decision really, the team which is playing Port = the team I am supporting.

Don't really care after that.

We use to lineup in the 90’s.

It is 2024, if you ain’t online get someone who has access to do it for you.

Will be at the G on the weekend to see Cats vs Lions.

So Kenny’s number one fan boy Gerard Whately suggested that Jason McCartney should have been banned from entering the field of play for the remainder of the finals series for his incident with Papley. How will Gerard sheepishly defend Ken Hinkley this week? I’m already looking forward to the mental gymnastics this week on AFL 360.
Bump. Except it was Robbo doing his utmost best to become Kenny’s number one fanboy on 360 tonight.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day AFL Finals 2024 - Match discussion party thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back