Game Day AFL Finals 2024 - Match discussion party thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't get a chance to watch the second half of the Geelong vs Bris prelim until tonight (had avoided spoilers somehow).

That was football of the absolute highest quality. Brilliant advertisement for the game.

Didn't get a chance to watch the second half of the Geelong vs Bris prelim until tonight (had avoided spoilers somehow).

That was football of the absolute highest quality. Brilliant advertisement for the game.
Easily the best game all year. Both teams going at 100%. The pace of it was insane. So many potential game winning moments, only to be replaced by something else a moment later. Geelong go up with only 2 mins left and Brisbane still put on 2 more goals. Crazy.

Only downside is the thrilling prelim is often followed by a fizzer of a GF.

Easily the best game all year. Both teams going at 100%. The pace of it was insane. So many potential game winning moments, only to be replaced by something else a moment later. Geelong go up with only 2 mins left and Brisbane still put on 2 more goals. Crazy.

Yeah I think Sydney wouldnt have minded watching the pace of that game, they didnt really get out of 2nd gear after half time, didnt need to.

I’ve really enjoyed the finals.

Mostly because it’s either been close games or teams I hate getting pumped.

Some others have touched on it I think, but interesting to see how Brisbane have recovered. Lose the gf by a kick, pre season controversy, slow start, missed top 4, now back in the gf.

The crows have gone to water the year following heartbreak and or controversy,
every single time in history bar 2006.

93 prelim loss - missed finals 3 years.
02 prelim loss - went to shit 03, missed finals in 04.
09 - right in front of me - wheels fell off in 10, 11
12 prelim loss - missed finals in 13 & 14
17 gf loss - we’ve been on a camp ever since

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some others have touched on it I think, but interesting to see how Brisbane have recovered. Lose the gf by a kick, pre season controversy, slow start, missed top 4, now back in the gf.

The crows have gone to water the year following heartbreak and or controversy,
every single time in history bar 2006.

93 prelim loss - missed finals 3 years.
02 prelim loss - went to shit 03, missed finals in 04.
09 - right in front of me - wheels fell off in 10, 11
12 prelim loss - missed finals in 13 & 14
17 gf loss - we’ve been on a camp ever since

I think most teams need to be in or around the top 4 for 5 or so years during their premiership window to win one.

There's no make the 8 and anything can happen, Bulldogs were an exception, I don't think you can build a strategy around being the exception.

Even Collingwood last year were top 4 in 18, 19, 22 and 23.

So I think there are some pretty big issues with philosophy around list or staff, mental resilience or something that is stopping us from winning one.

Every time we've finished top 4 I think we've fallen well outside of the 8 within 2 seasons. We often spike into the 4 from nowhere.

The Craig era was maybe an exception, we only fell to 8th...

It doesn't matter if you get the premiership in year one or year 5 of the window, and maybe they dip out of the 8 for a year, but most premiership teams build a list or culture or whatever it is that keeps them up the top of the ladder for half a decade.

We've never done it.

Last edited:
I think most teams need to be in or around the top 4 for 5 or so years during their premiership window to win one.

There's no make the 8 and anything can happen, Bulldogs were an exception, I don't think you can build a strategy around being the exception.

Even Collingwood last year were top 4 in 18, 19, 22 and 23.

So I think there are some pretty big issues with philosophy around list or staff, mental resilience or something that is stopping us from winning one.

Every time we've finished top 4 I think we've fallen well outside of the 8 within 2 seasons. We often spike into the 4 from nowhere.

The Craig era was maybe an exception, we only fell to 8th...

It doesn't matter if you get the premiership in year one or year 5 of the window, and maybe they dip out of the 8 for a year, but most teams build a list or culture or whatever it is that keeps them up the top of the ladder for half a decade.

We've never done it.
Brisbane COULD be another exception

I was out yesterday and skipped past however many pages were missed

Did anyone post this great '' lets get him off '' analysis from the great football brain Nafe Brown?

Concussion is only a worry in the regular season. Once finals start it no longer exists.

Brisbane COULD be another exception

For winning it from outside of the top 4, I guess my point was more that if they had been finishing well outside of the 8, then finished 5th (this year), then in the next few years finished back outside of the 8 or bottom of the 8, they'd be far less likely (an exception) to win a premiership than they are this year.

I'd still say that they have built a list and been good enough to be top 4 or close to it for 5 years. Their 6th and 5th finishes would have been one game out of the top 4? One bad kick, decision whatever.

They've been up since 2019 and it could easily extend beyond this year.

Yeah I think Sydney wouldnt have minded watching the pace of that game, they didnt really get out of 2nd gear after half time, didnt need to.

Well I’m of the belief that the MCG does not suit Sydney - it is both wider and longer than the SCG.

MCG does not provide Brisbane with any fears now - after the close GF loss last year and even minor round this year they lost to Collingwood by less than a kick and now the Preliminary Final win.

Well I’m of the belief that the MCG does not suit Sydney - it is both wider and longer than the SCG.

MCG does not provide Brisbane with any fears now - after the close GF loss last year and even minor round this year they lost to Collingwood by less than a kick and now the Preliminary Final win.
I did have that theory as well, Sydneys style defensively just doesnt suit the place.

Hell of a time to break the winning big games at MCG hoodoo.

For everyone saying our start killed us think back to our draw with Brisbane early in the season. We were basically on equal points, and it was seen as ‘an elimination final’. The draw was seen as being bad for both teams and each team’s season effectively over.

We ended up bottom 4 and Brisbane are playing off in the grand final.

Should tell you about the grit of the two different teams.
Going in to the 2024 season our teams were ranked thusly:

Adelaide

Average Age: 24.3 years (14th oldest)
Average Games: 61.6 games (15th highest)

Brisbane

Average Age: 25.1 years (4th)
Average Games: 78.8 games (4th)

Take out Smith (reduced ability), Sloane (forced retirement), Tex (injuries and reduced abilities) our average age and experience drops dramatically.

Not always, 2023, 2016, 2012, 2009…

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day AFL Finals 2024 - Match discussion party thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back