Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Geelong by 61+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be satisfied with no goals as long as he draws O'Brien for a full game and not allow him to rebound. Collingwood have enough rebounders, we dont need to add O'Brien if he does not need to respect his opponent as much.

I'm in this school of thought.

In 2009, SJ clearly wasn't fit enough to make an impact but he kept Baker (who was superb) occupied for the entire game. The flow on effect meant that Chapman had a lesser opponent and went on to win the Norm Smith.

Without SJ there tomorrow, the Pies will put extra effort into Chapman, Stokes etc.

That said, we have to be reasonably confident he can make a contribution tomorrow before he is selected IMO.

Tweet from Scott Gullan:

gullanHeraldSun Scott Gullan

Stevie j gets through training plus extra competitive drills v t hunt...light bandage on knee #miraclecomeback

Sounds bloody encouraging.....he may have a bit of pain, but **** thats what the needle is for!

If he can be competitive with Taylor Hunt and run with him all the way, then SJ must play!

In 2009, SJ clearly wasn't fit enough to make an impact but he kept Baker (who was superb) occupied for the entire game. The flow on effect meant that Chapman had a lesser opponent and went on to win the Norm Smith

On the flip side Baker has no attacking game so it wasn't an issue that he may run off him like the pie defenders WILL do if SJ isn't right.

Shehan on the bandwagon this morning, we're doomed now :(

Watching Grand Final Parade on 7 and they showed footage from a helicopter of SJ training.
Didn't look hampered at all.
Awesome news.
I reckon he'll play.

We have to win. We win, I don't care what happens next. Our entire team can retire and we play the VFL guys next year, I don't care.

Agree wit ALL you say

Agree 100% with this must win I don't care about next year we can slide...

Ha, I seem to recall many posters saying the same thing in 2009. If we win this year and then make it to the GF next year, we will all be wanting to win again. I know I will. Yes, this will be fantastic if we can pull it off this year but imagine if we could do it again next year too... even more fantastic!!!!! Dare to dream!!!:D

The whole w***ery about Collingwood being able to 'turn it on' is horseshit, it reminds me of us last season where we supposed to just flcik a switch and take them to the cleaners in the Prelim. Matthews is spot on about this whole do it for Mick thing as well, it's very hard to go back to back, that should be Collingwood's focus.

In 2008 I was so confident of a win against the old enemy I went out on Friday night and got drunk, loudly proclaiming this was a warm up for the festivities of the next day...i learned my lesson. I'm very confident this year again but won't be shooting my mouth off. We walk softly and we carry a big stick, I just think we'll do enough to win and we'd have to have a very off day to get beat. Tonight will be spent watching the 09 GF and 94 prelims. Go Cats.

The whole w***ery about Collingwood being able to 'turn it on' is horseshit, it reminds me of us last season where we supposed to just flcik a switch and take them to the cleaners in the Prelim. Matthews is spot on about this whole do it for Mick thing as well, it's very hard to go back to back, that should be Collingwood's focus.

In 2008 I was so confident of a win against the old enemy I went out on Friday night and got drunk, loudly proclaiming this was a warm up for the festivities of the next day...i learned my lesson. I'm very confident this year again but won't be shooting my mouth off. We walk softly and we carry a big stick, I just think we'll do enough to win and we'd have to have a very off day to get beat. Tonight will be spent watching the 09 GF and 94 prelims. Go Cats.

Just read that to my wife. She said that I have a small stick .....:(

I'm in this school of thought.

In 2009, SJ clearly wasn't fit enough to make an impact but he kept Baker (who was superb) occupied for the entire game. The flow on effect meant that Chapman had a lesser opponent and went on to win the Norm Smith.

Without SJ there tomorrow, the Pies will put extra effort into Chapman, Stokes etc.

That said, we have to be reasonably confident he can make a contribution tomorrow before he is selected IMO.

No, without SJ tomorrow we go with Duncan forward and he commands the attention of O'brien. He is a good player and well capable of snagging a few. In addition to that, we bring in a fierce Darren Milburn who is similarly capable of big things on GF..... we don't go a man down, we just simply bring another in!!

Either way, looks like SJ is pretty confident in himself and will get up. His attributes of endurance and evasiveness as pointed out are key, so if he can still retain these qualities we will be as good as gold.

I guess its still more speculation until tomorrow....but on the positive side, we have a sub this year, so barring no injuries, if Stevie is not having his usual impact we have the ability to sub him off for a fully fit man. Who knows until tomorrow!

No, without SJ tomorrow we go with Duncan forward and he commands the attention of O'brien. He is a good player and well capable of snagging a few. In addition to that, we bring in a fierce Darren Milburn who is similarly capable of big things on GF..... we don't go a man down, we just simply bring another in!!

Milburn was on SEN just before and he sounded pretty resigned to the fact that he won't play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep I have tried to draw that comparison a few times late this season with Collingwood supporters to no avail.
We always had a "second gear" last season that never seemed to appear.

Its all a fallacy, you either are in form or you are not.
Sure, Collingwood will lift their intensity tomorrow, but anyone who thinks that the Cats wont do the same is kidding themselves!!

SJ trained with a painkilling injection today, so provided he pulls up in reasonable shape tomorrow morning they will just dose him up again and he'll be good to go!

I would say that he is almost a dead certainty to play and given the nature of the injury he will be able to play well although he is going to feel it for the next few weeks!

SJ trained with a painkilling injection today, so provided he pulls up in reasonable shape tomorrow morning they will just dose him up again and he'll be good to go!

I would say that he is almost a dead certainty to play and given the nature of the injury he will be able to play well although he is going to feel it for the next few weeks!

Won't feel a thing if we get up. ;)

The other interesting point I would like to make is about Malthouse's focus.

Sure he will want to win this game, but at the end of the day he isnt coaching for his career like every other coach who contests a grand final is.

Scotty is coaching for his career, a win and he is a lock for a contract extension, loss and depending on the coming seasons it could bring him in to question.

But Malthouse is different, win loose or draw he isnt coaching on next season so it makes me wonder if that may cause a subconcious loss of edge.

Anyone who has quit/retired and had to work out an extra week would know where I am coming from!!

That is not grasping at straws at all.
I said it on Friday night. The whole week would have been missing an edge.

Ha, I seem to recall many posters saying the same thing in 2009. If we win this year and then make it to the GF next year, we will all be wanting to win again. I know I will. Yes, this will be fantastic if we can pull it off this year but imagine if we could do it again next year too... even more fantastic!!!!! Dare to dream!!!:D

Of course I want to win next year as well.. Just didn't want to sound Greedy!! (Karma and all that :D)

Just because you "said" something, doesn't mean that it isn't grasping at straws.

Sao your a expert now?

People are entitled to their own opinions, best to **** off back to your own board if you don't like what you reading ********

It's the magpie supporters who are grasping at straws.
It's what happens in GF week. On prelim weekend the board is awash with 'we're stuffed' but then as the week moves on you start dreaming of a win.

After enough consumption of your own bath water you start to get this thought it in your head that you can suddenly turn it all around.

It's not belief, it's hope.

Maybe you need to re-calibrate by reading some threads from weeks prior to this one.

But as a freshener.

The Pies are not in great form, Geelong are.

Jolly - suspect
Ried - suspect
maxwell - suspect
dawes - not fit
Thomas - 1 game in 5 weeks
Shaw - 1 game in 9 weeks
Davis - fails in grand finals
Fasolo - Comprehensively smashed in rnd 24
MM - Crying and losing focus
Buckley appointing Assistant coaches during GF week.

Please tell me they are stupid enough to let Hart sit in the box this week so it hits MM even harder that he is being usurped.

All in all it points to bad signs for a grand final.

After the pain of tomorrow subsides during the coming week you'll finally look back with clarity and realise that the writing was on the wall all along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back