Preview AFL NAB Cup Round 2 - Geelong v Adelaide, Simonds Stadium, 2:40PM Saturday 2 March

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that, as a rookie, Blicavs needs to be promoted to the senior list before he can play in the H&A season, but, even so, I would really like to see more of him against the Crows.

He's got something, I think.
A competitive nature has been mentioned, but I didn't realize it extended to trying to give Sandilands a little whack after one of his first ruck duels ever at AFL level.
Sandi had given him a bump/nudge or something and immediately Blicavs is trying to settle the score! The kid seems to have confidence and could be really interesting for us.
Well, it was only 15 minutes on the ground, so we need to manage expectations. On the other hand, prior to July last year he hadn't played footy since the under-15s, and he's only played 5 VFL games since then, so I think he showed excellent composure and effort in his first AFL-level match. And as another poster mentioned, it was a delight to watch him run, it just looked so easy and effortless, not your typical baby-giraffe style of so many big men.

He gave away a couple of free kicks for high tackles, but again, this didn't bother me. At least he was in there having a crack, and with more practice he can refine his tackling technique, and also of course improve in all other skill-related aspects. If he continues to improve at this rate, we may have a real player on our hands.

Varcoe has something not many in our team possess though, he's just freakish and uncanny around goals, it's something that cannot be taught and I can bet any opposition player having to match up on him would often feel a little intimidated if he's alone in space on a wing.
Thought he was excellent in his first game back on the weekend, looked incredibly fit and explosive for sure.

He did look fit which was a great sign. Although I don't mind the older players getting a game off before Round 1 (so guys like Chappy, Enright, Corey etc. play 3 out of 4), there are a handful of players I personally think need every second possible - Varcoe and Vardy being 1 and 2. Then Menzel once he's fit again.

I'm not expecting Varcoe to get 30 touches against Hawthorn and be BOG (although I'd love it). But the more minutes we get into him the sooner he'll return to his best. It's another reason why I'd play him close to goal too; he's deadly there and he'll automatically and immediately improve our defensive pressure. Once his fitness is absolutely top notch and he's got some form, slide back into the midfield rotations.

He did look fit which was a great sign. Although I don't mind the older players getting a game off before Round 1 (so guys like Chappy, Enright, Corey etc. play 3 out of 4), there are a handful of players I personally think need every second possible - Varcoe and Vardy being 1 and 2. Then Menzel once he's fit again.

I'm not expecting Varcoe to get 30 touches against Hawthorn and be BOG (although I'd love it). But the more minutes we get into him the sooner he'll return to his best. It's another reason why I'd play him close to goal too; he's deadly there and he'll automatically and immediately improve our defensive pressure. Once his fitness is absolutely top notch and he's got some form, slide back into the midfield rotations.

Just as well, since he's only done it once in 100 games - against the GCS - and has never gone close a second time.

Just as well, since he's only done it once in 100 games - against the GCS - and has never gone close a second time.
I'd be very interested to know which players who have played their career prodominently as a HFF have reached 30+ possesions in a game.

I'd be very interested to know which players who have played their career prodominently as a HFF have reached 30+ possesions in a game.

I don't know actually, apart from (for us), the obvious case of SJ, who has also collected high 20s on many many occasions as a HFF.
Not that the HFF bizzo is relevant to Varcoe if we're talking this season. He stopped playing "predominantly" there some time ago, and we don't need him there now, we need him as a long fast outside running midfielder to back up/replace Duncan. Duncan was the only one we had last season, and he has to be pulled out of that spot too often to play in his several other "Mr Fixit" roles.

Prefer Corey, Stringer or Sherringham to Varcoe on the wing. But that's just me.
I forgot, Taylor Hunt!

Even meto had to be impressed with TV backing into the pack of 3 WC players in that first game...

after so long on the sidelines to do the one thing that people have been critical of i thought was telling... Real guts and hope its just the tip of his year long successful iceberg....

Go Catters

Plenty, they roam the fwdline these days and also up to halfback, 30 pozzies sure!... if you can find the handle that is?
Daz, I didn't see that to be honest, but if he did I'm wrapped!

Even meto had to be impressed with TV backing into the pack of 3 WC players in that first game...

after so long on the sidelines to do the one thing that people have been critical of i thought was telling... Real guts and hope its just the tip of his year long successful iceberg....

Go Catters

I'm just hoping we see that player I saw against Carlton in a 2011 practice match. That Travis Varcoe was better than anything we've seen at senior level.

I'm just hoping we see that player I saw against Carlton in a 2011 practice match. That Travis Varcoe was better than anything we've seen at senior level.

It's a very serious year on the fringe this year, some damn very good players about to be passed over if we don't give them the opportunity they need to show their talents.

That's why guys like Varcoe need to display superiority not just an occassional flashy one off possession, we have some seriously talented youth looking for a chance, so lets not stuff up!!!

Like I just added to my previous post, I hope he gets a game against the Hawks at the expense of one of the others, but please take note at how often he pulls out of a contest if caught in the area, it's a joke.

I feel for the other boys who are prepared to put the body in harms way.
Thanks for the wee bit of support, I don't like to say it, but it's true, that's why he'll never be a Cyril.
Varcoe will never be a Cyril.
Why would he remotely want to when he can be Varcoe?

I'd be quite content with the Trav I saw in the 2011 GF. The one that ran hard all day, was in-and-under when called on and topped it off with some Varcoe like silky moves.

Incredible the debate on Varcoe from some.

Go get yourself a copy of the last quarter of the GF in 11; at about the 10 min mark, watch Varcoe back into traffic, effect a spoil, gather possession and then run the length of the ground to slot in a very crucial goal on his left foot.

Then come back in here and start spouting criticism with a straight face

FFS, Varcoe is a major boost coming into this year.

Go get yourself a copy of the last quarter of the GF in 11; at about the 10 min mark, watch Varcoe back into traffic, effect a spoil, gather possession and then run the length of the ground to slot in a very crucial goal on his left foot.

Hear ****ing hear! Could not agree more.. well i could but its already been said :oops:

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poetry in motion, i for one relish the idea of a fit Trav :)

He can play Nab Crap but can't play Rd 1 in the H&A season.Ditto for Kelly.
Ludicrous rule! Esp for something so minor as his love tap to Ballantyne! Infuriates me!!! Actually, infuriates me even more that Hurley's belt on Burger ring was dropped!

Love Varcoe! Who will ever forget his tackle on Buddy? Like a cheetah hunting a gazelle! Can't wait for his return! I met him after the GCS game and he was so shy, but as soon as I dropped the F-bomb he did not stop chattering! Just a delightful and super friendly guy :)

You mean the one where Mitch Duncan clears the ball, runs the ground, and gets there before the ball arrives
and knocks it away from a defender to give Varcoe a goal, a great finish by Varcoe but check out the effort of a very young Mitch Duncan!

Anyhow lets hope he can bring something to the table.

All 2011 we read the detractors telling us he would never stand up in a really big game; so TV plays his best ever game in the 2011 GF, kick-starting us with those first 2 goals.

And that tackle on Buddy, given what Buddy did to Ess the week or so before, was sheer perfection.

A fit and ready Varcoe is a must have if we are to climb the ladder again.

QUALITY, not quantity; he has never been dropped, for good reason.

QUALITY, not quantity; he has never been dropped, for good reason.

I'm not going to argue about the early Varcoe.
But one thing I'll regret forever is not going along to all the practice sessions in 2007 and 2008, because for him to keep getting a game, he must have trained something like a Gazza/Jezza/Daicos clone on speed.:D

You mean the one where Mitch Duncan clears the ball, runs the ground, and gets there before the ball arrives
and knocks it away from a defender to give Varcoe a goal, a great finish by Varcoe but check out the effort of a very young Mitch Duncan!

Anyhow lets hope he can bring something to the table.
That was great stuff from Duncan in that passage of play. Just a couple of things though:
- Travis appears to run laterally after about the wing/flank into space near where he thinks the ball will spill to so this may have taken longer than it took Duncan, who was focused directly on the follow up play from his first clearing kick.
- Mitch is clearly spoiled by Harry O and Trav read it well.

Just having someone like Trav using his pace to get to dangerous space and be able to create is another reason why it will be great to have him back

That was great stuff from Duncan in that passage of play. Just a couple of things though:
- Travis appears to run laterally after about the wing/flank into space near where he thinks the ball will spill to so this may have taken longer than it took Duncan, who was focused directly on the follow up play from his first clearing kick.
- Mitch is clearly spoiled by Harry O and Trav read it well.

Just having someone like Trav using his pace to get to dangerous space and be able to create is another reason why it will be great to have him back[/quote]
No doubt about that.
It was estimated he did so much running in 2011, it was no wonder he got a stress fracture.

Yeah think so. Be just another week or so's suspension added on. Don't want to contemplate it. Rest assured every opposition club will be told to niggle Johnson no matter what now. As they should.

Who's Geelong's biggest pest? They should be instructed to needle Stevie at EVERY training session. Get him to develop a thick skin. Though he's an old fart now in footy terms, and maybe too set in his ways...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back