Preview AFL NAB Cup Round 2 - Geelong v Adelaide, Simonds Stadium, 2:40PM Saturday 2 March

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Expect Ben Rutten, Sam Jacobs, Brent Reilly and Jason porplyzia to all play next week
having been left out of the team that played nab cup round 1 and the trial game against Freo.

Allen Christensen, Steve Motlop, Jesse Stringer, Jordi Murdoch, Billy Smedts and Jackson Sherringham come to mind for the minute, ha! throw in Matty Stokes as well.
Caddy's very fit as you know!....he's another, and GHS of course
Cheers.

Caddy along with Bundy are inside midfielders, and Sheringham and Hyphen probably won't be outside players as they aren't fast enough. Smedts and Murdoch may do so, however they're likely to spend much more time on the wing. Motlop could be effective as an outside midfielder, however I think that Varcoe is ultimately suited to that role more than anyone else (not to say that other players couldn't, but Trav is the right man for it).

they'll play there close too r1 full side next week against the cats, heard a bit of there praccy match on aa today against fro dickers.

I think the entire forum is going to have to agree to disagree with you Meto.

Getting this thing back on topic, I reckon our lineup for next weekend will go a little something like this:

Rivers Mackie Enright

Guthrie Taylor Thurlow

Varcoe Selwood Duncan

Brown Pods Motlop

Chapman Hawk Smedts

Foll. West Kelly HS

Int. Caddy, Bundy, Walker, Thunt plus +- Murdoch, Blicavs and Kersten.
Lonners, Bartel, Corey, Vardy rested. Mackie to matchup with TexWalker - or Brown for the experience.

they'll play there close too r1 full side next week against the cats, heard a bit of there praccy match on aa today against fro dickers.

Adelaide playing a full side won't make things significantly more difficult, it will be how fit and firing their players are that determines how well they perform. Don't forget that last year at home in the NAB Cup we fielded close to a full side against Richmond and got pummelled by a reasonably inexperienced lineup.

Adelaide playing a full side won't make things significantly more difficult, it will be how fit and firing their players are that determines how well they perform. Don't forget that last year at home in the NAB Cup we fielded close to a full side against Richmond and got pummelled by a reasonably inexperienced lineup.
yeah bud don't remind me...jenkins n the kid brad crouch impressed for them. Sloane never missed a beat when came on n the second half.

Getting this thing back on topic, I reckon our lineup for next weekend will go a little something like this:

Rivers Mackie Enright

Guthrie Taylor Thurlow

Varcoe Selwood Duncan

Brown Pods Motlop

Chapman Hawk Smedts

Foll. West Kelly HS

Lonners, Bartel, Corey, Vardy rested. Mackie to matchup with TexWalker - or Brown for the experience.
Not a bad player in that side and would beat most sides with 50% possession. But they won't get near 50% without established linkage through the lines. I like the back 3 but possession off half back will be a toss-up with Varcoe & Duncan guessing what Guthrie & Thurlow might choose to do.All too new. We could spend the day paying for change-overs and simply chasing the pill (am I allowed to say 'pill' these days). Sure we might be throwing everyone onto the park preseason to see what we have got but 2013, for all teams, will be about possession. A disputed ball anywhere must have an even chance of up-field clearance plus a better than even chance of forward 50 delivery. For me, the experiments should be more about developing up-field possession linkages than individual performances or possession counts. Geelong will win this year only if we have more footy possession time than other teams. To be more effective with the ball puts us at the pointy end at season's conclusion but a higher possession time and multiple forward linkage options will more likely put us in the GF. We hear of the value of the back 3 or the back 6 but for me a strong & reliable forward direction 3 or 4 (half back to centre to inside 50) is a link (or multiple links) that needs developing at this time. Tis a bit late at night and too many coffees but I hope the above makes a little sense.

Not a bad player in that side and would beat most sides with 50% possession. But they won't get near 50% without established linkage through the lines. I like the back 3 but possession off half back will be a toss-up with Varcoe & Duncan guessing what Guthrie & Thurlow might choose to do.All too new. We could spend the day paying for change-overs and simply chasing the pill (am I allowed to say 'pill' these days). Sure we might be throwing everyone onto the park preseason to see what we have got but 2013, for all teams, will be about possession. A disputed ball anywhere must have an even chance of up-field clearance plus a better than even chance of forward 50 delivery. For me, the experiments should be more about developing up-field possession linkages than individual performances or possession counts. Geelong will win this year only if we have more footy possession time than other teams. To be more effective with the ball puts us at the pointy end at season's conclusion but a higher possession time and multiple forward linkage options will more likely put us in the GF. We hear of the value of the back 3 or the back 6 but for me a strong & reliable forward direction 3 or 4 (half back to centre to inside 50) is a link (or multiple links) that needs developing at this time. Tis a bit late at night and too many coffees but I hope the above makes a little sense.

Like the Geelong of old high possession footy, worked back then, but didn't they change the game plan?
Now it's down the middle, long kicks, last time I heard when Scott was supposed to introduce a new style.
I think it was due to the Collingwood press.

I thought the best way was, have a defensive press, go wide when defending, if you've got the numbers or lose players bring it central when going through the middle, or if running the flanks cross it a la soccer.

My main grippe 2012 was that they butchered the ball when kicking inside 50, how many times did we win inside 50 counts and yet struggle to advance our score, it cost us badly.
We have to improve that turnover stat of disposessing ourselves when entering the forwardline, it did my head in last year, it cost us a top 4 position IMO.

Like the Geelong of old high possession footy, worked back then, but didn't they change the game plan?
Now it's down the middle, long kicks, last time I heard when Scott was supposed to introduce a new style.

I thought the best way was, have a defensive press, go wide when defending, if you've got the numbers or lose players bring it central when going through the middle, or if running the flanks cross it a la soccer.

My main grippe 2012 was that they butchered the ball when kicking inside 50, how many times did we win inside 50 counts and yet struggle to advance our score, it cost us badly.
We have to improve that turnover stat of disposessing ourselves when entering the forwardline, it did my head in last year, it cost us a top 4 position IMO.

Correct, this is why we missed Varcoe so badly, his silky smooth disposal and ability to hit targets at full pace was the missing link. With him back that part of our game will improve markedly!! :D

Correct, this is why we missed Varcoe so badly, his silky smooth disposal and ability to hit targets at full pace was the missing link. With him back that part of our game will improve markedly!! :D

Having said that, the younger guys like Murdoch and Stringer have moved forward this year, I expect big improvments, and the forwards look more potent with Vardy among the group.

If Varcoe can spot up his targets and deliver accurately he'll be a great asset and make life easier for the forward contingent no doubts.
Improvement in this area could (will) be the difference between success and failure this year, if Varcoe can do the business with accuracy and good decision making moving the ball inside 50 then great!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, and naturally that performance was completely dismissed by everyone. Until we lost 2 out of the first 3. Sometimes pre-season form does reflect your preparation.

Rivers Mackie Enright

Guthrie Taylor Thurlow

Varcoe Selwood Duncan

Brown Pods Motlop

Chapman Hawk Smedts

Foll. West Kelly HS

Vardy rested??? He hasn't played yet. He needs more footy, not less.

No way would I contemplate putting either Mackie or Brown on Walker. We're never going to do it under home and away, why waste time? Brown (like Vardy) needs more experience as a forward.

Rivers Mackie Enright

Guthrie Taylor Thurlow

Varcoe Selwood Duncan

Brown Pods Motlop

Chapman Hawk Smedts

Foll. West Kelly HS

Surely SJ will play seeing as he's out for RD1?

Can i just have a whinge about the admission prices. 20 odd bucks even if you are a member. What a disgrace. Members should get a discount or even for free. It would be a great incentive for people to get their membership early. Just a money grab, should be a reward for loyal members

Was Varcoe one of your sisters ex's? Or did he kidnap your puppy dog and hold him for ransom? I can't think of any other logical explanation for your views.

There are some other players at the club that can run a little bit Seeds, get a life!:rolleyes:

Can i just have a whinge about the admission prices. 20 odd bucks even if you are a member. What a disgrace. Members should get a discount or even for free. It would be a great incentive for people to get their membership early. Just a money grab, should be a reward for loyal members

The AFL are the ones who dictate the prices and whether members can gain admission using their membership, not the Cats. $20 is pretty steep though, would be fairly off-putting for the casual supporter and/or families just to see what is basically a glorified practice match.

On another note, wouldn't mind winning the next two games and playing off in the GF so we can avoid having to play a challenge match at some substandard country oval instead.

What I'm saying is that if we have the ball coming out strongly from halfback (and Lager has Thurlow and Guthrie as halfbacks) kicking long to a contest, then there needs to be players underneath that contest expecting that contest, and with sufficient game time with Thurlow & Guthrie to be aware of where to lead. Lager has Brown & Pods underneath these contests which would also be my choice but I would rather Enright, Corey, Mackie, or even Duncan launching precision big ones out of defence. Thats the type of established halfback to half forward linkage that we need to establish.
Hey, I used to coach my son's under 9s - I know what I'm talking about.

For me Varcoe is easily in our best 18. One of our more important players this season IMO and really is at an age now where he will be at his best if he can remain fit. I'm expecting a big year for him this year. He's the only Geelong player I have in my supercoach team.

What I'm saying is that if we have the ball coming out strongly from halfback (and Lager has Thurlow and Guthrie as halfbacks) kicking long to a contest, then there needs to be players underneath that contest expecting that contest, and with sufficient game time with Thurlow & Guthrie to be aware of where to lead. Lager has Brown & Pods underneath these contests which would also be my choice but I would rather Enright, Corey, Mackie, or even Duncan launching precision big ones out of defence. Thats the type of established halfback to half forward linkage that we need to establish.
Hey, I used to coach my son's under 9s - I know what I'm talking about.

Kicking long bombs forward might have something to do with butchering the ball when entering into our 50metre area.
There's just got to be a little planning in the delivery to achieve best results, between the ball carrier and the forwards.
Rather a clean pass to a fwd 30-40 mts out than a bomb to a pack near the square.

Kicking long bombs forward might have something to do with butchering the ball when entering into our 50metre area.
There's just got to be a little planning in the delivery to achieve best results, between the ball carrier and the forwards.
Rather a clean pass to a fwd 30-40 mts out than a bomb to a pack near the square.
I'm with you. I suspect GFC's summer planning has been all about cleaner and quicker delivery and options both in the pack and when the ball hits te turf. There is no reason, given the man-power we have, that we will not have top 3 inside 50 conversions.

Unless a forward is on fire or an opposition has built a game plan on over committing their forward press , a long bomb game plan is worth a quarter or two , usually not a full game. Look at us v Freo last year , too much to Hawkins. Where as us V Hawks R19 , they protected the long bomb early and we hit the lead up player. Hawkins would be better protected in a side with Menzel to draw defenders out , less double teaming and taking his run.

So this year , we must find that legit lead up option to cover Menz if he does come back. Can Caddy do it?Smedts , Duncan ... it must be someone with vertical ability , good hands and a reliable shot. Taylor would be awesome if we could cover his defensive spot. If Brown or someone else could help out , our forwardline could be super strong.

Unless a forward is on fire or an opposition has built a game plan on over committing their forward press , a long bomb game plan is worth a quarter or two , usually not a full game. Look at us v Freo last year , too much to Hawkins. Where as us V Hawks R19 , they protected the long bomb early and we hit the lead up player. Hawkins would be better protected in a side with Menzel to draw defenders out , less double teaming and taking his run.

So this year , we must find that legit lead up option to cover Menz if he does come back. Can Caddy do it?Smedts , Duncan ... it must be someone with vertical ability , good hands and a reliable shot. Taylor would be awesome if we could cover his defensive spot. If Brown or someone else could help out , our forwardline could be super strong.

Thurlow is the player but he's to young and imature to expect anything for a year or two. Or even Hartman, but it's the same problem multiplied.
According to his stats Thurlows marking is one of his strong points and general reading of the play contributed to his high posessions at U18 carnival.

Maybe Kersten, he's due to show a bit and played well in the VFL, just needs to get stuck in this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back