Review AFL practice match autopsy - Geelong defeats Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

And where exactly do you think we should play him? Do you want four talls in the backline or do you think we should drop Taylor or Lonergan or Rivers?

Didn't think of that. Still, his recent performances have been very good, could maybe start on the bench and then rotate with Lonergan/Taylor when either need a breather. If he doesn't play against the Hawks, I'd put my money on him to play against North.

If rumors about Chapman having done a hamstring are true then one of those youngsters are obviously in.

Absolutely spewing about the possibility of no Chappy vs Hawthorn. :(

Has he missed a game against them since the 08 GF? Would probably remember if my memory wasn't playing tricks on me.

Said before and will say again. Without an injury or two a position for Brown SIMPLY DOES NOT EXIST! Yes he has been very good this pre season but it's just bad luck. He will get a shot soon but it won't be round 1 no matter how much he 'deserves' it.

I like Partridge's team but think Corey might start but then again I have no idea who to start him over. Good problems to have so early when our fixture is tough.

this would mean Geelong's media gurus will be editing our match highlights as we speak (hopefully :))

If their serious about good to great they are the things the club need to do.lets see if it happens.

well, I'd happily put my hand up to do a job like that for the club, although there are others in here who are just as good, if not better but yeh, Collingwood usually have a pretty good lot when it comes to merchandise, media and PR so not surprised they got highlights less than 24 hours after the game.
And it's not as if they would have many wanting to view the action either, considering they were thumped.

well, I'd happily put my hand up to do a job like that for the club, although there are others in here who are just as good, if not better but yeh, Collingwood usually have a pretty good lot when it comes to merchandise, media and PR so not surprised they got highlights less than 24 hours after the game.
And it's not as if they would have many wanting to view the action either, considering they were thumped.
With out blowing to much smoke up your ars take some of your stuff to the Club and see where it leads,who knows.
Nothing ventured nothing gained you have the talent.

Your not fooling anyone here Partridge,he has just turned 28 thats hardly over the hill,he was on fire in the first practice match before the injury and from all reports again yesterday and gives support these days to the on ballers.
The only way he misses out rd one is if MC still think our best chance against the Hawks is to play an extra tall in the forward line.(that has Merit)
Your bias against the poor little bugger is bordering on obsession.
How many years have you been righting him off now?Get around him he's wearing blue and white hoops for Good sake..

One of the issues I have with Stokes is he doesn't work hard enough defensively and he's not a good target we can hit up. I've got no doubt about his ability to find the ball but we've got guys that can find the ball in Chappy, Bartel and now Caddy. We need someone that will put pressure on the opposition try to run the ball out of their defense. Now if Chappy doesn't play i'm all for Stokes but if he does I want Smedts or Murdoch in our forwardline.

One of the issues I have with Stokes is he doesn't work hard enough defensively and he's not a good target we can hit up. I've got no doubt about his ability to find the ball but we've got guys that can find the ball in Chappy, Bartel and now Caddy. We need someone that will put pressure on the opposition try to run the ball out of their defense. Now if Chappy doesn't play i'm all for Stokes but if he does I want Smedts or Murdoch in our forwardline.
This. Is not all about finding the ball. Is just as much about what you do when you don't have it. Stokes applies less forward pressure, flies and competes for balls he should be leaving for Hawkins/Pods and is hopeless at being in the right position for the crumb (usually because he was thinking more about making an unrealistic attempt to mark).

Your not fooling anyone here Partridge,he has just turned 28 thats hardly over the hill,he was on fire in the first practice match before the injury and from all reports again yesterday and gives support these days to the on ballers.
The only way he misses out rd one is if MC still think our best chance against the Hawks is to play an extra tall in the forward line.(that has Merit)
Your bias against the poor little bugger is bordering on obsession.
How many years have you been righting him off now?Get around him he's wearing blue and white hoops for Good sake..

Don't care if I fool anyone or not YPO, it's my opinion, which I'm just as entitled to as you are. I can't see how a small forward who only kicked 15 goals for all of last season - and had his lowest amount of average possessions, marks and goals since 2006 - can be an automatic inclusion with so much young talent around. And all playing well.
And I've been writing him off since the 2008 Grand Final. Lying to the match committee for the most important game of the year, then backing it up with one of the most useless Grand Final performances in memory tends to do that.

If he plays against Hawthorn great. You put him in your best side. He's not in mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does Varcoe make that look easy?

507472-cats.jpg

Classic photo!

This. Is not all about finding the ball. Is just as much about what you do when you don't have it. Stokes applies less forward pressure, flies and competes for balls he should be leaving for Hawkins/Pods and is hopeless at being in the right position for the crumb (usually because he was thinking more about making an unrealistic attempt to mark).
The frustrating part is he has the talent. He was by far our highest possession getter yesterday. Id rather Motlop take his spot. Motlop doesn't apply much defensive pressure either but at least he's a good crumber, is quick, doesn't get in the way of hawk and pods and is much younger (has played less than 50 games and has much more development left in him). Our forward line looked much better last year when smedts and motlop worked well together

Partridge You are walking a fine line of contradiction with your view on Stokes.
Apparently Caddy's 20 games with the Suns mean nothing and he can only be ranked on this years preseason performances. Yet with Stokes you use last year as the reference.

Additionally you always bang on about picking the best 22 to win a match. But now you just want him out because there is youth at the club.

FWIW, I am happy with all that because we have an exciting and frustrating task of trying to win a flag and educate the list. Not an easy task and one I'm glad that I dont have to do.

But there's little need to get your back up over it.

The frustrating part is he has the talent. He was by far our highest possession getter yesterday. Id rather Motlop take his spot. Motlop doesn't apply much defensive pressure either but at least he's a good crumber, is quick, doesn't get in the way of hawk and pods and is much younger (has played less than 50 games and has much more development left in him). Our forward line looked much better last year when smedts and motlop worked well together
I just can't understand this view. Stokes is a better player than Motlop. If it comes down to a choice of these two Motlop better push him out rather than being gifted a shot.
The same goes for anyone wanting Coreys spot.

I just can't understand this view. Stokes is a better player than Motlop. If it comes down to a choice of these two Motlop better push him out rather than being gifted a shot.
The same goes for anyone wanting Coreys spot.
I agree, but not based on last year when motlop kicked thirty something goals and stokes got 15. Like I said I think stokes has the talent but the fact he was so down last year calls his efforts and commitment into question.

Fair enough. I love the look of Motlop.
I'm not knocking him. But in the school yard if I had to pick a player to save my life Stokes would come before him right now. Might be different in a month!

With out blowing to much smoke up your ars take some of your stuff to the Club and see where it leads,who knows.
Nothing ventured nothing gained you have the talent.

I appreciate that ypo, thanks mate :thumbsu:

(still no updates heading onto 2pm now)

Stats at the end of the game, from the Cats Twitter feed:
View attachment 13441

Unlike last week, where it was our established stars that got us over the line, judging on the stats it seems like it was a more even team performance this week, with many of the lower-tier players topping the disposal counts, including Stokes, Caddy, Duncan, Motlop, Stringer and Taylor Hunt.

Haha. Selwood 7 frees for. Hope none of the Pies faithful see that.

Would be interested to see how Blicavs' stats stack up alongside Jolly's too. Would not surprise me at all if he smashed Jolly around the ground, and pretty much broke even in the middle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review AFL practice match autopsy - Geelong defeats Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back