Review AFL practice match autopsy - Geelong defeats Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

oh btw, our chat guy posts under the name lukem so send your love to him, he'd appreciate it.

but dont expect him to know the cats 2nds players like he knows the seniors......like we all do :(
Re yr tag-I remember the night Vinnie said that line-one of my all time favourites. :thumbsu:

Thanks for the write ups. Delighted about Caddy.

Going to be diificult fringe players like Brown, Guthrie, Stringer, Walker happy and hungry.

They will have a role at some stage and all probably deserve regular games but just won't get them without injuries. Our depth looks exceptional.

Brown has really impressed me this pre-season.

If not for Johnson getting suspended has been as good a 4 matches as we could hope for really.

Sheesh, couldn't you have asked me an easier question, like what is the meaning of life? :p

I'll have a crack though.

B: Rivers Lonergan Enright
HB: Mackie Taylor Varcoe
C: Christensen Bartel T.Hunt
HF: Smedts Podsiadly Duncan
F: Murdoch Hawkins Chapman
Foll: Blicavs Selwood Corey
Int: Walker Horlin-Smith Caddy
Sub: Stokes

Nailed it, though I would swap in Motlop for Stokes.

Of those missing today: SJ, Menzel, Vardy , HMac , Kelly , West, Chapman, Kersten, Josh Hunt, Joel Corey, Arlo Guthrie are all possibilities sooner or later in the season.
That list makes great reading!

We are just nicely poised for the H&A season to start now, with all the players fighting for selection giving us good options when it comes to all the 6-day breaks.

Sheesh, couldn't you have asked me an easier question, like what is the meaning of life? :p

I'll have a crack though.

B: Rivers Lonergan Enright
HB: Mackie Taylor Varcoe
C: Christensen Bartel T.Hunt
HF: Smedts Podsiadly Duncan
F: Murdoch Hawkins Chapman
Foll: Blicavs Selwood Corey
Int: Walker Horlin-Smith Caddy
Sub: Stokes
It has a bit going for it Winty. That team means we elevate Walker and Blicavs from the Roookie list?

Goggin and Polinelli both won invitational sprint races, but 3000m steeple chase is a TOUGH event, and he was attempting to make the olympic team.
Our club doc, Chris Bradshaw was an Olympic standard decathlete, jfi.

His actual quote was:

“I’m not one for massive statements, but … there’s never been a 198cm AFL footballer who can run like him” [/b]

He also said:
“Somewhere between 15 to 30 on our list is pretty close, we’ve got a big group of players that are capable of playing really good, solid, AFL footy in the early rounds of the season,” Scott said.

“I’m pretty confident our side (in) round one won’t be our side round four, we’ve got a pretty even spread among those guys on the fringes.”

:thumbsu:
Correct.
He also said Blicavs would currently be in our best available squad of 25, that West is possible for Rd1 but Vardy and HMcI are very unlikely.

I am one very happy Catter.

Yeah - it's only pre-season - but I'd much rather have a 4-1 pre-season under our belt than a 1-4. And so much genuine young talent is only going to get better and better as they gain top flight exposure.

And by Max Rooke, I just plain lurve odd numbered years!!!!!

Managed to get along to the game today, was an excellent, cohesive effort bar the last 10 minutes of the third quarter. Still, we were always in control of the contest. Some observations of mine:

Podsiadly: Back to his best. Took some very strong marks and generally had a massive presence up forward.
Blicavs: A very convincing effort from him today, his work around the ground was fantastic. Could be quite some player if he improves his tapwork a little.
Stokes: Completely proved me wrong today, one of his best, most polished performances in a very long time.
Caddy: Gutsy and polished performance. Looks raring to go.
Motlop: Is very good at breaking lines, and his evasive skills were brilliant at times (on several occasions he managed to shrug off multiple Collingwood players in tackles). Needs to be a little smarter and more team-oriented at times though.
Hawkins: Presented very well in contests, even though he was double-teamed for much of the first half. Conversion was a big problem, however.
Varcoe: This pre-season has probably been his best yet. Looks set for a big year if today is anything to go by, and was very effective out of stoppages in the midfield.
Brown: Love how he backs himself into contests. Has a strong set of hands.
Christensen: Was quiet at times, but generally quite effective whenever he got his hands on the pill.
Eardley: Very solid effort today, particularly given the fact he played on Pendlebury for a large chunk of the game. Competes well and works hard for his possessions.
Taylor Hunt: Huge wraps for his effort today, was easily among our best.
Hyphen: Earnt every possession, crumbed well, and put his body on the line. Another pleasing performance on his behalf.
Schroder & Stringer: Not only did what they had to, but always threw themselves into contests and won plenty of their own ball. Have begun expecting this stuff from these two, throughout the NAB Cup they've constantly produced a high standard of footy.
Murdoch: His versatility is pretty impressive. Has lots of pace, constantly hits targets, and possesses a strong pair of hands.
Walker: Presented and competed around the ground very well.
Smedts: Very polished, classy performance. Can't help but look forward to what he is going to offer us in years to come.
Rivers: Did what he had to do, and fulfilled his role to a good standard.

Bartel, Enright, Duncan, Mackie, Lonners, Taylor, and Selwood did their usual. Overall there were no glaring negatives from today, and more importantly no injuries.

Some very positive signs from today and the NAB Cup as a whole, but it really means stuff all if we can't back it up against Hawthorn in Round 1. Having said that, the future looks bright if this pre-season is anything to go by. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Managed to get along to the game today, was an excellent, cohesive effort bar the last 10 minutes of the third quarter. Still, we were always in control of the contest. Some observations of mine:

Podsiadly: Back to his best. Took some very strong marks and generally had a massive presence up forward.
Blicavs: A very convincing effort from him today, his work around the ground was fantastic. Could be quite some player if he improves his tapwork a little.
Stokes: Completely proved me wrong today, one of his best, most polished performances in a very long time.
Caddy: Gutsy and polished performance. Looks raring to go.
Motlop: Is very good at breaking lines, and his evasive skills were brilliant at times (on several occasions he managed to shrug off multiple Collingwood players in tackles). Needs to be a little smarter and more team-oriented at times though.
Hawkins: Presented very well in contests, even though he was double-teamed for much of the first half. Conversion was a big problem, however.
Varcoe: This pre-season has probably been his best yet. Looks set for a big year if today is anything to go by, and was very effective out of stoppages in the midfield.
Brown: Love how he backs himself into contests. Has a strong set of hands.
Christensen: Was quiet at times, but generally quite effective whenever he got his hands on the pill.
Eardley: Very solid effort today, particularly given the fact he played on Pendlebury for a large chunk of the game. Competes well and works hard for his possessions.
Taylor Hunt: Huge wraps for his effort today, was easily among our best.
Hyphen: Earnt every possession, crumbed well, and put his body on the line. Another pleasing performance on his behalf.
Schroder & Stringer: Not only did what they had to, but always threw themselves into contests and won plenty of their own ball. Have begun expecting this stuff from these two, throughout the NAB Cup they've constantly produced a high standard of footy.
Murdoch: His versatility is pretty impressive. Has lots of pace, constantly hits targets, and possesses a strong pair of hands.
Walker: Presented and competed around the ground very well.
Smedts: Very polished, classy performance. Can't help but look forward to what he is going to offer us in years to come.
Rivers: Did what he had to do, and fulfilled his role to a good standard.

Bartel, Enright, Duncan, Mackie, Lonners, Taylor, and Selwood did their usual. Overall there were no glaring negatives from today, and more importantly no injuries.

Some very positive signs from today and the NAB Cup as a whole, but it really means stuff all if we can't back it up against Hawthorn in Round 1. Having said that, the future looks bright if this pre-season is anything to go by. :thumbsu:
Thanks for that.:thumbsu:

Who was Rivers minding?

Was down there for the entire game (first for the season) and what most impressed me most was the extra pace we seemed to have right across the ground. Our run out of the backline was very exciting. Motlop got caught multiple times but will learn from that. The good thing was that he was wiling to take the opposition on. Our clearances were excellent and we were very competitive. In the centre we nearly always had the new guard, Christiansen, Caddy, Duncan, Selwood (hardly new but still young), Varcoe, Hunt, and we more than broke even with their guns.
I thought Rivers was good, but Brown was as good in defence and is the future so should take over from him very quickly if he gets the opportunity.
I differ from others on the board in that I thought Horlin-Smith was okay but that was all. Caddy was much better and was able to add a little of the x factor. I think Horlin-Smith will make it but he is not in the same class as Caddy.
On the way home we were comparing the team we had in with our 07 premiership team and the only ones that were the same were Bartel, Mackie, Selwood, Stokes and Enright. This is a remarkable turn around and something that was the msot exciting of all.
I was very excited by what I saw, I think the young players we have can take us to another golden era and the challenge will be transitioning the old to the new.

what do you guys think of our back 6 today???

Do you think Brown will start against Hawthorn?
Did they look a little slow with all of Lonergan, Brown, Mackie, Taylor and Rivers?

Thanks for that.:thumbsu:

Who was Rivers minding?

From what I saw, he seemed to play as a loose man in defence for large periods of the game. He didn't have all that much to do today considering the Pies only had two key forwards (Cloke and Lynch).

always been a Brown fan, very courageous and great set of hands but needs more bulk and quickly but glad he sounds like he's slowly finding his feet.

The great asset to Brown's game is the ability to play both ends, reads it well and is a lovely kick.

what do you guys think of our back 6 today???

Do you think Brown will start against Hawthorn?
Did they look a little slow with all of Lonergan, Brown, Mackie, Taylor and Rivers?

Our back 6 were great today and made Collingwood's forwards appear second rate at times.

As for the first question- based on today's performance and his efforts throughout the NAB Cup, I think Brown should start against the Hawks.

From what I saw, he seemed to play as a loose man in defence for large periods of the game. He didn't have all that much to do today considering the Pies only had two key forwards (Cloke and Lynch).
I was wondering who was on Lynch as he seemed to be the only effective forward they had. I think the thread on the club website said they switched Pods onto Lynch for awhile which made me think whoever his direct opponent was wasn't measuring up.

I was wondering who was on Lynch as he seemed to be the only effective forward they had. I think the thread on the club website said they switched Pods onto Lynch for awhile which made me think whoever his direct opponent was wasn't measuring up.

Don't recall seeing Podsiadly on Lynch for much of the game, although I think he kicked 2-3 of his goals during the third. Think Pods may have played on him in that third quarter, Scotty appeared to experimenting with a few things during it (hence our subsequent lapse that resulted in the Pies kicking 6 goals).

Where are you getting the stats please sir?

[Yeah, blatant DT question :oops: , sorry!]

Great signs for another strong year tho. :thumbsu:
They were on the game chat thread thingy. From memory. Beams 32, Swan, peddles, sidebum 30
Stokes 24.
Duncan, caddy, bartel 20
Selwood, Pods 18.
Something like that !

Remove this Banner Ad

Review AFL practice match autopsy - Geelong defeats Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back