Review AFL practice match autopsy - Geelong defeats Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

did you observe Caddy much?
If so, how would you describe his speed and marking ability?

Also, what did you think of Sheringham and Rivers games?

Didnt get much of a chance to judge the pace and marking of Caddy - he spent most of the game in the middle and was very good in the clearances.

Sheringham did some good things. Has good body size now and adds grunt along with run. Still a fair way back in the midfield choices but adds depth.

Rivers started well, very handy defender to have on the 3rd tall down back. Can't remember seeing him much in the 2nd half so don't know if he played a full game?

great review winty :thumbsu:

Cheers mate.

One other thing I forgot. There was a passage of play in the 3rd term when Hawkins contested a mark on the half back flank. The ball spilt to Varcoe who looked like he could've done a Lewis Jetta and ran 100m to kick a goal. He opted to pass to Motlop who passed it back to Varcoe. However, somehow the next player who got his hands on the pill was Hawkins. For the big unit to be able to keep up with the likes of Varcoe over about 50-60m after having contested a mark was remarkable for someone his size.

so Hawkins was pushing back into the backline or deep wings at times?

He did this against Hawthorn back in round 2 last year, was playing like Franklin does and causing major concerns.

Just out of interest, where did you see this quote? And was it after this last practice match?
Yes tonight. Sen spoke to a guy from the AFL who interviewed both coaches. Someone Ryan. And that's what he said.
Roughly.

Does Varcoe make that look easy?

507472-cats.jpg
Have they changed the rule on socks again?
Probably missed it and it happened two years ago. But they used to get fined for modified socks.

Found this interesting....

The Cats would have been heartened with the effort of Marc Blicavs in the ruck, given their big man stocks are depleted ahead of round one.

He is yet to play a game but he could get his chance in the opener.

Scott said Blicavs gives the team another dimension and despite his relative lack of experience looked as though he belonged.

"Along with a few of our younger, quicker players who haven't played a lot of AFL footy, he just gives us another dimension," Scott said.
"We're a long way from deciding exactly what our best look is in there, but there's some chance he's a part of that…even when our big guys come back."
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-03-15/cats-smash-pies-in-final-tuneup

Yeah he did ok. Sprayed his shots today - hopefully he is just getting them out of his system!

He went ok after getting them out of his system last time we played Collingwood. 1.4 against them in Round 16; 29.10 in the next seven games (including the one against West Coast when he was stretchered off in the first quarter).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

winty
Nice write up. Really appreciated.
Any chance you could be a tad negative on someone to come across as realistic? lol

Just got home from the game and have looked through the thread in its entirety. Will try and give a few quick observations:

- Bartel: Back to his best. Even the Pies supporter sitting behind me was in awe of how polished his disposal is.
- Blicavs: Made a believer out of me today. If you didn't know his story, you'd have thought he had a lot more experience playing the game than he actually has. If we could somehow transplant Blake's tapwork and combine it with Blicavs' around the ground work, he'd be a top 5 ruckman.
- Brown: Played both forward and back. Took a couple of good contested marks up forward, and was only really beaten once down back, when giving away about 20kg on Cloke.
- Caddy: Star in the making. Crumbed some good goals up forward and bashed and crashed in the midfield.
- Christensen: Was either pretty quiet, or did most of his work on the other side of the ground. Didn't notice him much at all. Was extremely stiff not to have a one-handed mark against Heath Shaw paid though.
- Duncan: Silk. Is going to take his game to another level this year if his game today is any guide.
- Eardley: His first touch of the game was after he ran full chested into a pack to grab the pill. Did not look out of place at all. Had a steep learning curve too, as I noticed he was on Pendlebury when he was resting forward.
- Enright: At his clinical, professional best.
- Hawkins: Presented well, but kicked poorly. One of his contests, where he got front spot, only to be spoiled but get the crumbs and hand the ball to a runner going past was first class.
- Horlin-Smith: Similar to Caddy.
- T.Hunt: Did his usual job to his usual standard. Very solid.
- Lonergan: Was his usual dire self. Absolute rock down back.
- Mackie: See Enright.
- Motlop: Learnt today he's not a half back flanker. Channelled Billy Slater at times today trying to give don't argues left, right and centre. No harm in backing yourself in to break the lines, but sometimes you have to be smart about it. Did outbody Harry O'Brien to take a nice contested mark though. :D
- Murdoch: This kid is going to be a gun. Kicks it a mile, is a strong mark and has pace to burn. Could be a nightmare match-up for opponents this season.
- Podsiadly: Turned back the clock with his work up forward today. Regularly presented up through the middle of the ground when at centre half forward, and showed why Nick Maxwell isn't a defender's arseh*le in a 10 minute burst in the 2nd term. Was a joy to behold.
- Rivers: Didn't have much to do today, considering the Pies only had two key forwards.
- Schroder: Played his role across the middle. Tough as nails, as is to be expected.
- Selwood: Typical game from the skipper.
- Smedts: Showed his class across half forward.
- Stokes: Was everywhere. Looks cherry ripe for a big season.
- Stringer: See Schroder.
- Taylor: Typical Harry game.
- Varcoe: Going to have a huge year if his pre-season has been any indication. Noticed he started in the middle at a few centre bounces today.
- Walker: Toiled manfully all day. Took a few nice marks around the ground and presented well.

Noticed at one stage in the third term, the three midfielders we had in the middle of the ground were Christensen, Smedts and Varcoe, up against Beams, Swan and Pendlebury. No wonder Collingwood got a little bit of a run-on during the 3rd term as Scott seemed to be experimenting a bit.

Yeah -great review

Seeing you were there -and some (being me) havent seen the game -list your starting 22 for the 1st game -assuming all the rucks who are injured are unavailable

Is White shorts our new home strip? We may as well its seems we are always in them..

If we can have that many score shots without a recognized ruck , I'm very optimistic we are get a bit of polish back on that aura chalice. The media should start the talk now.Some revision on ladders will have to be done.
We are a nice blend of _
mature (not old) players who know how to do the business , have done the business and are still keen to do the business.
youngish players , players that have been at the club a while but are still trying to find their way into the side as regulars or fresh young players that have played minimal games but are very likely to be our mainstay for the next decade.

And out of the players missing today , how many would we say are best 22?
SJ, Menzel, Vardy , HMac , Kelly , West .........

Kersten!:)

I guess the club has a decision to make about Rookie upgrades this week. I think we have two positions.

Would like to hear more on Walkers game....if West gets up I would clearly prefer Walker as second ruck based on last weeks performance, but perhaps today's game has somewhat changed the thinking?

Still, Walker for me.

Walker was ok without being great.

The thing I really noticed sitting behind the bench was they always changed with each other, not sure they were both on the ground at the same time, yet Blicavs would've played 60% game time easy. Walker seemed to spend most of the game on the line waiting to get on, Blicavs just has a massive tank and no shortage of confidence in himself. Gotta love it.

Obviously a FIT West gets the nod in round one, and it's Blicavs partnering him for mine.

But the idea of Walker and Blicavs running out together in round 1 no longer fills me with dread as it did a month ago. Particularly given the new ruck rules, the drop in number of stoppages around the ground and our ability to win clearances or at least break even when we're not dominating the hit outs.

Add to this the fact that they both have super endurance and basically become tall running midfielders, may well be a reason weve looked quicker and spread a lot better so far this pre-season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review AFL practice match autopsy - Geelong defeats Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back