AFL Press Conference 13:45.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rescheduling the match mid week would be a complete non-option to the clubs for those suggesting it.

Can you imagine AFL players being able to compete in 3 games over 7 or 8 days? It takes most of the week for a lot of players to recover. Not to mention the flow-on advantages to the teams playing them after a mid week game.

This is absolutely a sensible decision and the right one which will cause the least impact on the competition overall. Unfortunate if one of these clubs happened to miss out by 2 points, but there is no completely fair way to fix this no matter what.

The cancellation on compassionate grounds is the right call. But since everyone is still in shock and still in grieving, I just question whether the decision to call it a draw was the right call.

Some have said a draw was "the only option", but they had the option to reschedule the match for a later date.

Anyway, it's too soon to form a strong view. Let's revisit this decision in a few weeks.
I think the discussion between the AFL and the clubs would have been about whether to cancel the game, or reschedule the game. You can't do both.

Once decided the game would be canceled (as opposed to rescheduled), a draw is the only possible result.

Wrong decision.

Geelong could miss the finals when there were alternative options that are equally compassionate.

Disagree. I think it is the right decision.

We should have beaten Melbourne at Kardinia Park.

Bulldogs might be robbed of getting finals experience.

A Draw:

7th Adelaide 12 wins, 1 draw 115%
8th Geelong 12 wins, 1 draw 95%
---------------
9th Bulldogs 12 wins 110%

Or if Adelaide won a rescheduled match:

7th Adelaide 13 wins, 115%
8th Bulldogs 12 wins 110%
------------------
9th Geelong 12 wins 95%

I think Geelong got a good deal, most likely would have lost the game.

The draw is fair given the circumstances.

It could also mean another team misses out.

A Draw:

---------------

------------------
9th Geelong 12 wins 95%

Yeah but the Adelaide coach was murdered, so what the **** can do you do about it? The ideal scenario is already off the table.

Yeah but the Adelaide coach was murdered, so what the **** can do you do about it? The ideal scenario is already off the table.

As I said, let's revisit this issue in 2 months when everyone can have rational discussion rather than emotional outbursts like your own.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A Draw:

---------------

------------------
9th Geelong 12 wins 95%

Geelong and Adelaide would have both agreed to this decision. It is the correct call. If the teams vying for the eight are good enough, they will win enough games to make finals. This decision won't impact it at all. Realistically the Crows are most likely going to turn to shambles anyway so a team will likely come in for us.

Last edited:
Or Adelaide could. Or Adelaide could have a superior percentage but miss out on top 4 by half a game or could miss out on 5th or 6th and a home final by half a game.

Should have played for 8 points in rnd 23.
So the Cats have two games outcome at their home ground?
There was no other real option. The game would have been 50/50 outcome anyway. Its not Gold Coast were playing WC at home.

Boo hoo hoo, if you miss the finals by two points because of this tragic event you were not going to be doing much apart from losing in the first week of finals. Or do you seriously think if Geelong or Adelaide had not got these two points you were gonna win it all from 8th? So your season ends one game sooner then it may have, still better then a life ending eternally....

the bookies had this game as almost a tie so the split points is probably fair. would be interesting to see how this course action would have been received if it was hawthorn vs gold coast.

Why are you being such a knob? Geelong and Adelaide would have both agreed to this decision. It is the correct call. If the teams vying for the eight are good enough, they will win enough games to make finals. This decision won't impact it at all. Realistically the Crows are most likely going to turn to shambles anyway so a team will likely come in for us.

edit: please ban this poster. He is deliberately poking people for being 'emotionally unstable' during a period of obvious extreme emotional instability. It's trolling, nothing more.

It's a sensitive issue so I acknowledge now isn't the correct time for me to analyse the decision announced in the 13.45 AFL Press Conference.

But please don't accuse me of trolling on a serious matter such as this. That's extremely distasteful mate. I was just discussing the actual topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back