Preview AFL Rd 18 - Coll v Suns Prematch Discussion, DaVe 86's Preview post 65 - Teams post 106

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: AFL Rd 18 - Pies v Suns Prematch & Selection Discussion

I'm keen on Didak playing if he's fit. This is the sort of game he needs to get him back into form.

Rest players if they are injured otherwise all systems go. Just because it is Gold Coast, this is not the time for complacency.
Couldn't agree more:thumbsu:

I'm keen on Didak playing if he's fit. This is the sort of game he needs to get him back into form.

Rest players if they are injured otherwise all systems go. Just because it is Gold Coast, this is not the time for complacency.

This.

We are seven weeks out from finals and we should start settling down with our best 22. Any suggestions that we rest players that have niggles/need a rest are absolutely ridiculous. We had a bye four weeks ago FFS!

Re: Rd 18: Pies v Suns Prematch & selection discussion

In: Wood, Didak, Caffa, Goldsack (all if fit)
Out: Jolly, Ball, Tarrant, Krakouer (rest the older brigade, and Jolly hit his knee again could do without the plane trip); if Reid's groin doesn't come up, then Taz stays in.

Davis, Reid, Maxwell
O'Brien, Keeffe, Toovey
Johnson, Swan, Thomas
Didak, LBrown, Fasolo
Macacffer, Cloke, Sidebottom
Wood, Pendlebury, Blair
Wellingham, McCarthy, Rounds, Goldsack

Emerg: JThomas, Seedsman, Young

With Ball rested, Blair, JMac and Wellers to take on more extraction work; possibly helped by JThomas if he plays a blinder in the VFL today.

I wouldn't be messing with our structures to much!
It's getting to the business end of the season and we don't want to be resting blokes to much. Jolly has only just come back off a large lay-off and Tarrant has had a couple of rest games already.

INS: Macaffer & Goldsack
OUT: Pendles (Rest the shoulder) & McCarthy (Bum) :D

My Changes:

In: Seedsman Young Ugle J Thomas

Out: Pendlebury(rest shoulder) McCarthy Krakouer ?

My Changes:

I don't care who we are playing you don't play 4 debutants with 3 others with less then five games

Seriously Dave this is a massive pisstake right?

I don't care who we are playing you don't play 4 debutants with 3 others with less then five games

Seriously Dave this is a massive pisstake right?

No I am Not

Reid was two steps off the pace all day yesterday, looked very lame.
Give him a rest and move Keefe into the backline.
Hopefully he gets his hands on it a bit more and gets some confidence up, he looks lost out there in the forward line.

In:Le' Caff, The Sack.
Out: Reid, Krak.

No more new players. Now we should look to rotate guys we feel comfortable taking into a grand final. Caff, Didak, Goldsack and Buckley should get a look. Giving a game to guys like Seedsman or Ugle hurts us because it costs a proven player a run in the seniors.

No more new players. Now we should look to rotate guys we feel comfortable taking into a grand final. Caff, Didak, Goldsack and Buckley should get a look. Giving a game to guys like Seedsman or Ugle hurts us because it costs a proven player a run in the seniors.

Agree with this. I'm very glad we are getting games into Keeffe, Rounds and Fasolo. I think it is important we have depth come finals. But it is getting too late to bring in any new debutants. We need to begin rotating the proven guys that are outside the 22 back into the side.

That's the way to go with 7 rounds to go.

In addition to Caff, Goldy & Buckley, possibly Wood from the VFL, we have the injured Beams, Dawes & Didak and then the suspended Shaw.

That along with the 22 from the weekend are enough players to rotate through the team for the remainder if the year.

Keefe & Rounds are highly unlikely to play finals and Fasolo would be a stretch if most of the above are available. Happy to play them another week or 2 tops, but then we need to get down to our best team and stick pretty close to it.

Just a heads up for anyone who is in the Melbourne area (or even anywhere but the GC) and isn't flying North to attend the game;

IT IS NOT ON FREE TO AIR TV.

Apart from QLD where it seems the game will be shown on Channel Ten, and a few regional areas in that region (Northern NSW for example) the game is a foxtel game.

So, if you don't have Foxtel, start making plans now.

Looks like Reid will miss, not sure how Pendles is going but might need some time out with that big knock to the shoulder. Keeffe can replace Reid down back.

Our forward line needs to be stronger, though, we look hugely reliant on Clokey and have no lead up targets apart from him. I want more firepower in the team, Didak and Caff would be excellent inclusions if they were ready. Fasolo needs to play out the whole game.

Rounds and Macarthy might need to give way along with Reid, while Caff, Dids (pending fitness) Buckley and Goldsack will come into contention.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a heads up for anyone who is in the Melbourne area (or even anywhere but the GC) and isn't flying North to attend the game;

IT IS NOT ON FREE TO AIR TV.

Apart from QLD where it seems the game will be shown on Channel Ten, and a few regional areas in that region (Northern NSW for example) the game is a foxtel game.

So, if you don't have Foxtel, start making plans now.

Got foxtel yesterday :cool: so good! Way better coverage no stupid adds! No mega wall!

Got foxtel yesterday :cool: so good! Way better coverage no stupid adds! No mega wall!
They have a mega wall for some matches (called "the analyser), but at least if you don't want to see it all you have to do is not press the magical red button.;)

If I have to watch a pies game on TV (only 3-4 times a year thankfully) I'd rather watch a fox match, as you say, no ads during the quarters, and just a plain and simple coverage (although the commentators aren't much better).

No I am Not
Not a game to be taking lightly I don't think.
If "hubris" is going to get us any time this year it will be in a game we should piss in.

Time to start sculpting a side which will be invincible in finals.
Show no mercy and only the injured get respite.

My Changes:

Hah! One quarter of our team would have less than 10 games between them if we did that. Everyone saw how Gold Coast challenged Geelong, they can take it up to the best and we need to make sure we put them away and put them away hard. Can't go having 7 new kids in the team.

Will We Kick A Big Score Against Gold Coast?

At the start of the season I remember talking to mates about the pies Gold coast game. I was thinking record scores, hell, even things like 35 or 40 goals, Cloke kicking 15 or 20 goals. The gold coast players looked like boys and only 60 , 70 kilo each. We actually thought it could be bloody dangerous having these guys backing into a pack with cloke, dawes and brown dropping in on them. Ambulances everywhere.

Well now I'm not sure. They are a he'll of a lot better as the year has gone on. So guys what are your thoughts and score for this week.

Pies 36-16-232 Gold Coast 7-6-48

Re: Will we kick a big score against Gold Coast?

We'll probably only win by 40-50 points. They aren't that bad and I don't think we'll be putting in a full on performance.

We are playing GC not GWS :p

I think we'll score over 150 points but of course I'd love if we scored over 200.Just don't think it will happen.I don't think we should be resting our star players as I think that's disrespectful to the Gold Coast.

Cloke will be lucky to kick 4 or 5 against Bock so will be interesting to see which player pops up and kicks a bag of 7 or 8.A player always seems to kick a bag against GC and it's usually against Hunt:eek:

We are playing GC not GWS :p

I think we'll score over 150 points but of course I'd love if we scored over 200.Just don't think it will happen.I don't think we should be resting our star players as I think that's disrespectful to the Gold Coast.

Cloke will be lucky to kick 4 or 5 against Bock so will be interesting to see which player pops up and kicks a bag of 7 or 8.A player always seems to kick a bag against GC and it's usually against Hunt:eek:
Yes, your right, typo all fixed up, don't panic everyone keep moving on nothing to see here

I think we should have a few targets this week;

1. Win every quarter
2. Score 20 goals
3. Restrict GC to under 10 goals

If we come out of the game with that type of result, you would have to be happy, but let's face it, all we want is to be sitting pretty on Saturday night, at 15-1 with no more injuries.:)

IN - Caff, Buckley, Thomas
OUT - Pendles (rest), Krak (rest), Tooves (if doesn't come up) or Rounds

Also may want to rest Luke Ball, however if we over cut into best 22 & have too many inexperienced players, we could get into trouble.
Must have a balance.

Guess it all depends on what team we put out on the park.

GC are definitely on the improve, and they'll likely have no pressure on them after a win last week and no-one really expecting them to win.

Hopefully Didak might be Ok to play this week, as per the other thread, he is so important and if he's back to top form by finals, would be a massive bonus.

Jolly v Fraser would be interesting or if they rest Jolly, Wood v Fraser.

Could see Josh fire up a bit.

Great to see Stanley and Iles also against the boys as well.

I've loved Stanley's progress this year, he seemed very hard done by in terms of opportunity with us, insofar as he always only ever seemed to get one game, usually against very strong opposition and then often out of position to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back