Preview AFL Rd 18 - Coll v Suns Prematch Discussion, DaVe 86's Preview post 65 - Teams post 106

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: AFL Rd 18 - Pies v Suns Prematch & Selection Discussion

I would not Under estimate the Suns they are a Capable Side but Like our VFL side can't play 4 QTRS but don't give them a Chance of Victory because they can do it

I think we should have a few targets this week;

1. Win every quarter
2. Score 20 goals
3. Restrict GC to under 10 goals

If we come out of the game with that type of result, you would have to be happy, but let's face it, all we want is to be sitting pretty on Saturday night, at 15-1 with no more injuries.:)

Like the idea of targets. For mine, with finals brewing:

1. win
2. give a game to everyone who is getting cherry ripe for finals 22 or for squad of 30; rest a few in the meantime.
3. Try some 'chance-ups' such as Keeffe to CHB in case they are needed in finals.
4. Have fun and let the recent rubbish pass.

My Changes:

In: Seedsman Young Ugle J Thomas

Out: Pendlebury(rest shoulder) McCarthy Krakouer ?

I would not Under estimate the Suns they are a Capable Side but Like our VFL side can't play 4 QTRS but don't give them a Chance of Victory because they can do it

Have you had a change of heart in the last 2 days? Because IMO the changes you initially provided would be a sign of us taking them lightly.

Fasolo has to play a full game, Caff needs to come into the side, hoping for Dids being fit for this game, not really fussed about anything else.

Have you had a change of heart in the last 2 days? Because IMO the changes you initially provided would be a sign of us taking them lightly.

A Little Bit though I think on Form these Kids deserve a Game

I don't think TD is taking the GC lightly he just significantly over-rates 'promising' VFL form.

I think Joely and Q are spot on. It's not the game to be debuting guys, especially when we have guys like LeCafe, Goldsack, Dids who need game time.

Keeffe, Rounds and Fasolo are no chance of being dropped at to be fair nor should guys like McCarthy, Krak etc the other fringe guys. This is their chance to get more game time and rest the other senior guys.

If fit Dids, Cafe, Sack and Wood should come in. Reid, Pendles, Ball and Jolly should be rested.

Thomas just had a fortnight off not long ago.

according to mick at the cocktail party on mon night a few boys pulled up sore out of saturday's game and he said we'll be missing 8 or 9 of the GF side as opposed to 6 or 7 last weekend. i'd suggest toovey won't come up and jolly might be a bit tender after appearing to hurt his good knee in the last quarter

I don't think TD is taking the GC lightly he just significantly over-rates 'promising' VFL form.

True, that is probably a more accurate way of putting it. TD I agree they are starting to show signs of deserving a game and it'd be nice to give one or two more a debut before the end of the season. However I just think it would be better for team balance if we start to build towards a finals best 22 and if we really want to get games into the kids just rotate the spots between them :thumbsu:

For instance if we wish to bring Seedsman and Young in this week just do it as a straight swap for Fasolo and Rounds similar to the way Geelong are going about it. Rather than leaving ourselves open by replacing hardened senior bodies with rookies.

All up its not really worth making predictions on what the final 22 will be this week with so many candidates to be rested....

i mentioned in the GC board that after a drop off of form about 4 weeks ago that GC seem to have recovered some touch and are improving again. i have been impressed with their attack on the ball - no one seems to be there for the ride, as they all want the hard ball and attack like seasoned pros.

while a comfortable win is assured, it wouldnt take too much complacency to give them a sniff. they have recovered from large deficits and won this year. also be watchful of a sniper or 2 in their side. we dont need anyone to be a scalp. :(

IN - Caff, Buckley, Thomas
OUT - Pendles (rest), Krak (rest), Tooves (if doesn't come up) or Rounds

Also may want to rest Luke Ball, however if we over cut into best 22 & have too many inexperienced players, we could get into trouble.
Must have a balance.

The Caff should be in this week. God I cant wait till he comes back into the side. Such a good player for us.

Tomato Sauce is telling me Ben Sinclair is in line for a debut this week

With the club trying to blood as much youth as possible before finals it makes sense. MM rates him highly and he has been on the cusp for a week or so now. Along with him, Seedsman would be the other going on his recent form.

I'm expecting wholesale changes this week, freshen some senior players and get some AFL experience into the young uns..

If Reid is out that somewhat stretches our defence. We will need to play Keefe down there. Lucky its against GC as tall forwards they have been fairly good at controlling, its the small forwards that give them the most trouble.

In: Wood

Out: Reid

Jolly and Wood to play forward/ruck combo. Leigh Brown to play Dawes role. Keefe to CHB.

I would like to see Fasolo get the whole game but he has been arguably our best sub and is turning it into somewhat of a specialty role.

Dids would love to be apart of this game, and would thrive in it but MM won't play him.

Would love some rookies to come in but can only see rounds as the out and he would be stiff to not get a decent crack considering he has only 1 and a quarter games behind him..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

R18 Match Preview: GC v Pies

Now up on the club website

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/newsfeatures/news/newsarticle/tabid/5586/newsid/118984/default.aspx

New boys on the block Gold Coast will host ladder leaders Collingwood this Saturday night at Metricon Stadium in a battle which will be earmarked as a David vs Goliath clash. The expectation on Saturday will be that the Magpies should totally obliterate the Suns. Therefore, it is a real test for the young Gold Coast team to measure itself against the competition’s best side.

In round 17, the Magpies put to rest a challenging week with a comfortable 19-point victory against Carlton. On the other hand, the Gold Coast recorded its third win of the season with a more than impressive performance against a disappointing Richmond. The win will have given the Suns a bit of confidence leading into this huge clash and they enter the game with a ‘nothing to lose’ attitude. Often a side in this frame of mind can be the most tricky to play.

Let’s be honest, the Magpies should win this game very comfortably. The question really is how much the Pies will win by. However, nothing in sport is guaranteed...especially in a two-horse race. As Guy McKenna pointed out, Australia was unbackable favourites against Samoa in the Rugby Test this week yet lost the game.

Collingwood is coming off a huge game against Carlton, played in front of more than 85,000 fans. It is not absurd to think that playing the inexperienced Gold Coast side could be a bit of a letdown mentally after such a big build up to the previous match.

Gold Coast also possesses inside knowledge of Collingwood’s game plan. McKenna was Malthouse’s assistant coach prior to accepting his current appointment. Danny Stanley, Sam Isles and Josh Fraser were also former Magpie players. Importantly, Shane O’Bree was very close with Malthouse and now is on the Gold Coast coaching staff.

But it is one thing to have inside knowledge, and another thing to actually put it to effect. It is not as if Collingwood’s game plan is a great secret. It looks to win contested footy and lock the ball inside 50 until a goal is scored. Unfortunately for the Suns, the team is far too inexperienced and lightly built to realistically have an impact around the stoppages.

Nonetheless, it has been a promising season for the Gold Coast. They already have four Rising Star nominees (Matera, Smith, Swallow and McKenzie) and so many other highly-rated teenagers. To have recorded three wins to date has been a good achievement for a side which was expected to win none. If Gary Ablett, Swallow, Rischitelli and Stanley have an impact around the stoppages, and the team plays with no fear, then the Suns could cause the Magpies a few headaches on Saturday night.

At The Selection Table
Despite both teams having a win in round seventeen, expect a number of changes at the selection table this week. Both sides are well known for making a constant stream of changes every week to keep their players in peak condition.

I am most interested with Collingwood’s selections. I get the feeling that Malthouse may use this as an opportunity to rest a few sore players. This may be seen as disrespectful to the opposition, but with six weeks to go to finals it is an ideal time to freshen up key players. It appeared, Pendlebury picked up a minor injury against Carlton last round, Thomas hurt his ankle the week prior, and Dane Swan has not been 100% fit for some time. It is also an opportunity to give youngsters like Rounds, Keefe, Fasolo and McCarthy more game time.

Alan Didak and Dayne Beams face fitness tests. However, Malthouse has already made comment that he is unlikely to risk players on a stadium in which the club has never played in and the quality of the surface is unknown. Brent Macaffer and Josh Thomas have been impressive at VFL level, as has Ben Sinclair.

Turning attention back to the Gold Coast, and the question for McKenna will be whether or not to bring in some bigger bodies. Karmichael Hunt and Daniel Harris will come into contention.

Focus on Collingwood
It’s not rocket science for the Magpies this week. Darren Jolly will look to get the ascendency in the ruck against Fraser and the inexperienced (yet extremely talented) Zac Smith, while the battle hardened midfield will look to impose their size and strength to intimidate their young opponents. Gold Coast possesses quality young talls, however the Collingwood defence is incredibly tight and should make goal scoring extremely tough.

Alex Fasolo
- Could Fasolo be this year’s Jarryd Blair and hold his spot right through to the finals? Fasolo may find it a bit more difficult to do so as he has been used as the team’s designated substitute. This may affect his chances to hold his position as he has not yet proven his capacity over four quarters. Nonetheless, he is having immediate impacted once substituted into the game, and is proving a handful as a medium-sized forward. His tackling intensity is fantastic, and he is also a very nice kick of the footy...especially in front of goal. Given the youth of the Gold Coast team, I’m hoping Fasolo is given more game time this week.

Leon Davis
- The ignitor is putting together a terrific season and is proving a really valuable player once again. As a creative defender, he is winning a lot of the ball and setting up a lot of forward thrusts. Importantly, he is still pushing forward and scoring goals when necessary. Davis’ silky skills are likely to be a real influence on Saturday’s game.

Harry O’Brien - I thought Harry was fantastic last week, mostly playing on Eddie Betts. Importantly, he generated a fair bit of run in the absence of Heath Shaw, which is a role that he will have to continue to do for the next seven weeks. He is likely to rotate through a number of opponents this weekend, including Brennan, Bennell and Stanley.

Travis Cloke - If Cloke is not the best forward in the competition at the moment, then he is at least on par with his nearest rival. With 43 goals for the season to his name, Travis has a real opportunity on Saturday night to kick a bag against a very inexperienced backline. Nathan Bock will take the match-up on Cloke. Bock is a veteran defender and will be a decent match-up for Cloke, but he is going to lack the support.

Focus on Gold Coast
No doubt the Suns will come out on Saturday looking to take a lot of risks and try to match Collingwood around the stoppages. The midfield is quite good on paper, but lacks depth at this stage. Further, the young key position players such as Lynch and Dixon are super talented, but still not ready to dominate against quality defenders such as Tarrant and Reid. Defence is an issue for the Suns, and relies heavily on Bock to hold down centre halfback. The future is very bright, but the side is a long way off challenging Collingwood at this stage.

Gary Ablett Jnr - The little master has silenced a lot of critics this year who were of the belief that he could not maintain such dominance without quality of players around him. He is averaging over 28 disposals a game, a goal and six tackles. This is all despite a severely interrupted pre-season and groin issues in the early rounds. Two weeks ago, Gary hurt his knee and was clearly hampered by it last week. Nevertheless, he still had 27 disposals and kicked a goal. Collingwood will not tag him, but will probably use Wellingham head to head.

David Swallow - If Swallow was playing in Victoria, he would be the most talked about youngster in the competition. The number one draft pick has been amazing in his first year, and is playing on a level beyond what most expected. He is still 18 years old, yet is averaging 20 disposals and 4 tackles in a midfield, which does not offer a lot of assistance. His form has got better as the season has gone on as well. He is an absolute gem and will relish the contested footy on Saturday night.

Danny Stanley - Many wrote off this guy as an AFL footballer when he was delisted by Collingwood. He has however proved to be an inspired pick by the Gold Coast and has become a leader of the club. He is playing as a small forward who is there to harass and pressure. Importantly, he is hitting the scoreboard, having kicked three goals last week. He is another who has improved as the season has worn on. His mature body has been important as he is averaging four tackles and is one of the few who can stand up to bigger bodied opponents.

Trent McKenzie - Keep an eye out for McKenzie on Saturday night. He won last week’s Rising Star Nomination after another impressive 21-disposal game. What is most noticeable about McKenzie is how far he can kick a footy. He is still young, however probably possesses one of the longest kicks in the game, and has already made a name for himself as a goal-kicking midfielder who can score from beyond 60.

The Wrap-Up
I don’t think this is going to be the obliteration many are predicting. I think Gold Coast will offer resistance, and maybe even send a few early concerns through the Magpie camp. However, I think the resistance will be very short-lived, and the eventual margin will most likely blow out to over 60 points. Collingwood’s strong depth and fitness will prove far too strong over four quarters.

Nonetheless, Collingwood will begin to turn its attention to finals shortly, and percentage is not a real issue at the moment. Therefore, I don’t expect the Pies to do anything beyond what they need to do.

Collingwood by 65

By David Natoli
Aka DaVe86

Re: R18 Match Preview: GC v Pies

Pretty much sums it up.

Although I am curious. How many Pies are expected to rest in this game? Does anyone have any likely clues on who they'd be? Or to offer insight on the plan?

For instance, that article suggested Swan might be rested, but didn't he just have a week or so off in Arizona? Then Pendles might be out to recover from a niggle. And Thomas with his ankle.

Surely Swan, Thomas and Pendles cannot be all rested at once. Not that I'd complain as a Suns supporter, but that'd wreak havoc in my DT!

Pretty much sums it up.

Although I am curious. How many Pies are expected to rest in this game? Does anyone have any likely clues on who they'd be? Or to offer insight on the plan?

For instance, that article suggested Swan might be rested, but didn't he just have a week or so off in Arizona? Then Pendles might be out to recover from a niggle. And Thomas with his ankle.

Surely Swan, Thomas and Pendles cannot be all rested at once. Not that I'd complain as a Suns supporter, but that'd wreak havoc in my DT!

Most, if not all the talk of "resting" players has been on forum like this.
Personally I think any outs will be from necessity, with maybe an outside chance one of Rounds or Favalo may miss with McCaffer coming in simply a rotation.
Reid is an outside chance to miss but through genuine injury, with Jolly a very slim chance to miss with a slight knock to his knee.

Good write up again DaVe86. I know the Suns are a bit of an unknown but the way we have smashed the lower sides like the Kangas and Melbourne recently I can't see us not playing well. The only area the GC have been playing well at has been the clearances. Outside of that they haven't be great being low on scoring and giving away huge scores. The games they've won have all been low margin wins against pathetic sides too. I think they'd have to play well to get within 10 goals and I'm not one to usually predict us smashing teams.

In - Goldsack Young J.Thomas Macaffer Beams??
Out - Pendlebury and 4 most sore boys who are in the best 22 for finals

sorry if this has already been said, but bolton cant debut this year? correct me if im wrong

Bolton can play this year. However for it to happen we'd have to place either Dick or N Brown on the long term injury list. But the club won't move him onto the senior list unless he's guaranteed a game.

In other words if you hear he's been promoted then there's nothing surer than him making his debut in our next match, though I think he's to far back for that to happen in 2011.

ive been thinking about the Suns game.
a lot of peeps say we will kick a record score .. yadda yadda.
But... they pushed Geelong for 3 qtrs, came back from 6 goals down to beat Tigers, and this will be their Grand Final in front of a packed house. we will prob rest a few players, play a few kids, Bluey McKenna has all the Pies secrets, plus Fraser, Illes, and Danny Stanley have inside info.
I have a feeling it might be a danger game.
I hope we trounce them tho.
Bock isnt a bad defender, i just hope our bigger bodies will muscle our way thru 4 qtrs. :cool:

ive been thinking about the Suns game.
a lot of peeps say we will kick a record score .. yadda yadda.
But... they pushed Geelong for 3 qtrs, came back from 6 goals down to beat Tigers, and this will be their Grand Final in front of a packed house. we will prob rest a few players, play a few kids, Bluey McKenna has all the Pies secrets, plus Fraser, Illes, and Danny Stanley have inside info.
I have a feeling it might be a danger game.
I hope we trounce them tho.
Bock isnt a bad defender, i just hope our bigger bodies will muscle our way thru 4 qtrs. :cool:

Yep, and you can add to that the very likely enormous letdown after dragging themselves up off the floor psychologically for the Carlton game.

Can't see a blowout, the real danger game might be next week after this game.

A close result here might serve as a handy pressure valve release, moreso than a thumping.

it probably wouldnt be a bad thing to have a sneaky loss between now and finals time

just to keep us on our toes

tho going undefeated from now will be tastier :rolleyes:

For some reason we are all keen to rest Pendles? I say he would have been subbed off last week if he was that bad - right? I read the injury list and Pendles doesnt appear to be listed as having a shoulder injury - after a mere 4 weeks of action Pendles needs another rest? Why? From what I understood he had a "stinger" (thanks Danielnajdek & Opti)! IMO wait till perhaps the Port game - for the rest.

Fact is the Suns have a more than decent starting midfield - Smith, Ablett, Rischitelli and D. Swallow - with Isles, Brennan, Prestia and even Stanley at times in there. These guys could give us some grief - especially if we start resting Jolly as well, who needs more games rather than less.

I say show the Suns due respect - give a guy like Dids, Caff and Sack a game if ready, but I dont like the idea of more than one or two changes really.

Don't want to see us getting cute at this time of the year especially with Shaw, Dawes, Didak and Beams already out.

Out: Only those with real niggles.
In: Caff and anyone else needed as cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back