Preview AFL Rd 18 - Coll v Suns Prematch Discussion, DaVe 86's Preview post 65 - Teams post 106

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: AFL Rd 18 - Coll v Suns Prematch Discussion, DaVe 86's Preview post 65

Not a complete surprise, losing so much experience in one week through injury/illness, I think we needed to play it a little safe and bring in proven senior level footballers to replace them.

Thomas, Sinclair, Bolton and Young are still chances to debut before the end of the year, maybe even as late as round 24 in the "dead rubber" vs the Cats.

Well I guess the 4 Senior Players Being Left Out probably as you say they would want Senior Players to come in as you don't have total kids playing as that could be a Little to Risky but I still thought we would at least Debut 1.

I doubt Bolton will debut this season(Will Promoted to Senior List at Seasons End) I would have at least Seedsman Ahead of Bolton

...Also has anyone been to Metricon Stadium? What other ground is the playing field similar (dimensions) to? and what is the playing surface like? Anything else we should know about the ground?
Metricon Stadium is very similar to Cararra. Very similar indeed - in fact, they are one and the same, but with new grandstands and a sponsors name. The dimensions are much the same as the MCG.

Why would they rest jolly he has been back for only a couple of weeks after over a month break! Im assuming his really sick

Could be a combination of the two, he isn't in great form and if he's sick then it wouldn't be any good for him to make the trip up and either; give every one else on the team the illness, or be to fatigued to play to his full potential, or not be able to recover as well for the game the week after. I reckon the club is just going on the safe side so he is as good as he can be for the Essendon match.

Jolly is really sick. He's already had a massive break, he doesn't need a rest.

Why would they rest jolly he has been back for only a couple of weeks after over a month break! Im assuming his really sick

Jolly is really sick. He's already had a massive break, he doesn't need a rest.

They have noted that they are worried about the hardness of the surface surely wouldn't be good on a knee that is struggling (and despite the long lay off it doesn't seem 100%.) No need to take him up to the GC on a hard surface in a game we are going to win anyway. He is our most important player and we really need to take ever pre-caution with him.

As for the lack of debutants, clearly no surprise. We have to be doing everything possible to win a flag this year, playing debutants is not part of that plan because they have extremely little chance of playing in the finals and we have so many senior guys who need game time.

Glad they didn't go with any newbies. Good to see Caff back.

As of new week it's time to put the best team on the park. Players that will be filtered in over the coming weeks when fitness allows: Didak, Dawes, Beams, Jolly, Wellingham, Toovey and Shaw. No room for more first gamers who won't play a part in the finals.

After we collect the 4 points this weekend it's time to hit the go button. :thumbsu:

Along with others I believe its time to start assembling the A team. It's the bell lap and we need to get some K's into some legs and to shake down the team structures for the finals. We can't do that while blooding players.

I can't feel the finals 'buzz' yet but I can hear it approaching.

Time to get it together.

Great to see Caff back in. Team still looks great even with 3-6 players who might not get a game come first week of the finals.

Plenty of fringe players in who still have lots to prove so we can expect them all having a real crack and hopefully a solid 4 qtr effort.

It's no coincidence either that with the VFL team having the bye the 4 inclusions from that VFL team are all experienced players, ready to go at senior level.

It's a long season, especially for the younger players, but I would think we want the likes of Wood, Goldy, Caff and Bucks playing just about every week, especially with some of the fitness setbacks Caff and Bucks have had.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting team selection V suns

Just wondering if Mick said he wanted to debut a few more guys (Thomas sinclair young mainly) why isn't he doing it against the gold coast? This is a perfect time to rest a few players as geelong have been doing. We know for sure quiet a few of the boys would be better in the long run for a rest now.

Players such as Pendlebury krak reid could really use this as a chance to get over injury and soreness. Instead we put in 3 fringe players who i dont think are long term prospects (goldsack buckley wood). I might be prosecuted for this but all of them are constantly making mistakes at the senior level and their not young anymore.

Re: Interesting team selection V suns

Really happy for the Caff after a long injury lay off, I think he is the final piece of the puzzle, we need a permanent strong bodied half forward type and as he showed last year, he is the perfect fit, hopefully he runs into a bit of form!

Just wondering if Mick said he wanted to debut a few more guys (Thomas sinclair young mainly) why isn't he doing it against the gold coast? This is a perfect time to rest a few players as geelong have been doing. We know for sure quiet a few of the boys would be better in the long run for a rest now.

Players such as Pendlebury krak reid could really use this as a chance to get over injury and soreness. Instead we put in 3 fringe players who i dont think are long term prospects (goldsack buckley wood). I might be prosecuted for this but all of them are constantly making mistakes at the senior level and their not young anymore.

I was thinking the Same Thing mate why are we not Debuting Players and Giving Fringe Players ago thought I think mick wants them Ready Just in Case of Injuries in the Finals

If we are to have a run of injuries in the finals it is the JMacs, Buckleys, Goldsacks, Woods etc that are the next port of call.

It certainly won't be your Sinclairs, Ceglars, Youngs etc. Debutants won't get it done in the finals series. Hardened, experienced bodies will- history has proven this.

I was thinking the Same Thing mate why are we not Debuting Players and Giving Fringe Players ago thought I think mick wants them Ready Just in Case of Injuries in the Finals

The 22 named plus, Didak, Wellers, Jolly, Shaw, Beams, Toovey, Dawes and Rounds gives us 30 to pick from for finals, thats plenty. :thumbsu:

If we are to have a run of injuries in the finals it is the JMacs, Buckleys, Goldsacks, Woods etc that are the next port of call.

It certainly won't be your Sinclairs, Ceglars, Youngs etc. Debutants won't get it done in the finals series. Hardened, experienced bodies will- history has proven this.

Saved me typing :thumbsu:

Its bewildering why Mick said earlier on he feels its vital to give our kids a run prior to the finals.....

Are the Caff and Goldsack not fringe players? However you answer this, they haven't played much senior footy of late and I'm sure "mick wants them Ready Just in Case of Injuries in the Finals", in preference to some others who have little or no hope of finals action.

The 22 named plus, Didak, Wellers, Jolly, Shaw, Beams, Toovey, Dawes and Rounds gives us 30 to pick from for finals, thats plenty. :thumbsu:

Agreed, no need to any debutants unless we are resting a large number of players in the last couple of rounds. Even then hopefully we have so few injuries that we can rest a few if needed and still fill the 22 from within this group of 30 players.

Also agree that Goldsack and Caff can be classed as fringe players and the guys we need to get some games into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back