Preview AFL Round 1 - Geelong v St Kilda, MCG, 7:45PM Friday 25 March

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: AFL Round 1 - Geelong v St Kilda, MCG, 7:40PM Friday 25 March

This just keeps getting better

The funny thing is I started watching the NRL live waiting for the AFL 11.30 delay Friday night games a few years back and went from no interest at all to going to several games now each year so ch7 and the AFL have given ch9 and the NRL a leg up.

Definitely a large chunk of Q deck will be general admission.

I think they are being a little liberal though with these predictions:

http://www.mcg.org.au/Events/Upcomi...aspx?eid=7b344ebb-2b3f-46a1-b016-81e24d6502de

http://www.mcg.org.au/Events/Upcomi...aspx?eid=7b344ebb-2b3f-46a1-b016-81e24d6502de

This may change of course.

Does that mean you think that some of the areas they are advertising as general admission will not in fact be general admission? :confused:

Well at least it's delayed because of NRL usually. Here in Adelaide we get it at 8:30pm because Better Homes and gardens gets the nod over a live AFL telecast. Awesome

lol sorry man but had to have a laugh, just bloody unreal isn't it...I have had to watch the final 5 minutes of that putrid show in waiting for the footy and seriously every 5 word is a plug for Bunnings or whatever kinda like the footy show these days with that nissan nivara crap. 'Oh well perhaps in 15 years time the population will be too great for the AFL to ignore forever;)

Can't wait! I got my international membership in the mail a couple of weeks ago so I have the bumper sticker proudly displayed on my car. The game is on live in the early hours of the morning here in Vancouver. Going to record it and have a few friends around the next day to watch it. It will be annoying having to explain the rules but just looking forward to seeing the Cats again :)

Hmmm, was just brushing my daughters hair and I said to her 'hey footy starts this week. Geelong play the Saints on Friday night'

"When do the Gold Coast Suns play"

'Next week, why'

"Because....I want the team that Gary Ablett plays for to play" :(

Hmmm, was just brushing my daughters hair and I said to her 'hey footy starts this week. Geelong play the Saints on Friday night'

'Next week, why'

That's sad VC.

My 7 year old niece who quite often comes to KP with me has already told me that she wont be joining me this year because Gary's not there :(

So how do we see the team running out on Friday night, given Ling and Chapman have been ruled out, and Pods (Byrnes too?) is unlikely to play?

I'd like to see something like this.......

B: J Hunt Scarlett Lonergan
HB: Enright Taylor T Hunt
C: Wojo Kelly Varcoe
HF: SJ Moons Brown
F: Duncan Hawkins Stokes
Foll: Simpson Selwood Bartel

Int: Menzel Corey West

Emg: Milburn / Mackie

I think that gives us a good blend of experience, pace and youth across the ground.

Dawson's pre-season form, and Otto's declining ability to contest, leads me to think he'll at least break even with any contribution by Otto whilst gaining valuable experience.

Similarly, West's pre-season form deserves a game and he'd provide cover for Dawson, and could provide a contest at HF when Moons (under-done) has an occasional rest on the bench.

Brown at HFF would be a headache for the Saints defense, whilst gaining invaluable experience and avoiding the worst of the physical battering at HF.

I'd like to see something like this.......

B: J Hunt Scarlett Lonergan
HB: Enright Taylor T Hunt
C: Wojo Kelly Varcoe
HF: SJ Moons Brown
F: Duncan Hawkins Stokes
Foll: Simpson Selwood Bartel

Int: Menzel Corey West
Emg: Milburn / Mackie

I think that gives us a good blend of experience, pace and youth across the ground.

Swap Lonergan for Milburn and I think you've nailed it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'Next week, why'

I assume what followed that exchange was you smacking her over the head with previously mentioned hairbrush. :D:thumbsu:

I assume what followed that exchange was you smacking her over the head with previously mentioned hairbrush. :D:thumbsu:

No. She will get to watch some games. I don't mind. I'll watch some too then. Then after a while I'll tell her all Suns games are now only on Foxtel. And that will be that :p

No. She will get to watch some games. I don't mind. I'll watch some too then. Then after a while I'll tell her all Suns games are now only on Foxtel. And that will be that :p

I'd just tell her the Suns games aren't being televised in Victoria.

'Next week, why'

I wonder if we lost any supporters when Kent went to the Tigers?

Match Preview
Round 1: Geelong vs St Kilda

Last Time They Met:
Geelong 11.13 79 defeated by St Kilda 12.11 83

‘Let the Cat’s epitaph read…’

Too soon to say.
-Deng Xiaoping, Chinese Premier (1978-1992) when asked to describe the outcome of the French Revolution.

Could the signs be anymore clearer? A narrow lost to St Kilda, a pedestrian win over a hobbled Fremantle, and a ten goal demolition at the hands of Collingwood. In the wake of Geelong’s underwhelming September last season, the pundits couldn’t get on the bandwagon fast enough. It was the end of an era; the Cat Empire, after three glorious seasons, had crumbled. The shocking and not-so-shocking defections of Mark Thompson and Gary Ablett respectively only served to confirm the trend. Geelong’s own Gerard Whateley summed up the prevailing opinion when he wrote “On the penultimate weekend of September the reign ended. Without shame. Without surrender. But nonetheless the end of days.”

This piece of writing doesn’t intend to seriously question this conclusion: the weight of evidence is too overwhelming. A 2011 Grand Final featuring Geelong would be unprecedented; a flag would shatter every article of faith in the AFL. But in arguing that the Cats’ empire is over, the media misses the broader lesson present in the history they appeal to as evidence; and they miss the true nature of this empire. For a club that was - a mere decade ago – broke, devoid of talent and facing possible relocation away from its own home, ‘empire’ signifies not just on field success but a permanent future, security, faith that the heart and soul of a community is now a permanent institution. On-field dynasties come and go; strong clubs, empires, do not.

Throughout the dominance the brains trust at the Cattery signalled that they weren’t happy with the idea of conforming to the AFL cycle; even when the glory days ended they wanted to be a strong club, on and off the field. Geelong might not win the flag this year but we’re determined to show that need not be a signal to tumble down the ladder. And the best way to prove that is to win against the old enemy, St Kilda, on Friday night.

How They’ll Line Up:

As the above suggests Chris Scott’s got plenty of challenges ahead but arguably none bigger than the problems of the selection table. At one level, he’s been given a mandate to start a transition between the veterans of the premiership era and the youngsters drafted in that period – a delicate task that’s ended badly for more than one coach before. But he’s also got to resolve some issues that the match committee either wouldn’t or couldn’t last season:

-The preponderance of talls: the coaching staff could not pick between Taylor and Lonergan at one end and Podsiadly and Hawkins at the other, and instead played them all. While they came up with a band-aid solution for Podsiadly and Hawkins – play the latter in the ruck – and Lonergan arguably could be seen as replacing Harley, the arrangement was less than satisfactory. Geelong looked unbalanced and slow as a result.

-The rucks: again, the match committee couldn’t make a decision and stick to it – or arguably even come up with a guiding philosophy. Because of injury, form and the top-heavy nature of the side the rucks remained unsettled all year, with Ottens, Blake, West, Simpson and Hawkins all getting a run. The new interchange rule only appears to complicate matters.

On top of that there are injuries, with up to four players potentially out; and there’s the unknown of the new sub rule. Although the signals on the potential team have been pretty muted from Scott and co, this preview will take a stab and suggest the team’s going to look like this:

B: J. Hunt – Scarlett – Milburn
HB: Enright – Taylor – Mackie
C: Kelly – Corey – Wocjinski
HF: Johnson – Hawkins – Varcoe
F: Stokes – Mooney – Duncan
R: Ottens – Selwood – Bartel
I/C: Byrnes – T. Hunt – West (Menzel)
EMG: Brown Christensen Hogan

Given the punishing travel regime the Cats have over the opening rounds I’d suggest the club will play it safe and keep Chapman and Ling out of the side. Podsiadly misses because of his hand. Although the match committee’s hand has been forced somewhat by injury this side seems to balance Geelong’s requirements this year: more balanced, some genuine flexibility, and a few new(ish) faces as well. The weakness in ruck is not as worrying as it could be as the Saints have a few concerns in that area, too, and there’s still plenty of contested ball firepower available. Looking at that line up the only notable absence is a defensive midfielder: a staple of Geelong’s gameplan against St Kilda over the last few years has been to shut down one of Lenny Hayes or Nick Dal Santo. Perhaps a job for James Kelly?

Will this side be good enough to overcome Lyons’ men? Like Geelong the Saints will be making a few tweaks on field in an effort to land that elusive flag and, like Geelong, the squad has a few injuries as well. Assuming worst case scenario for Geelong:

B: Gwilt – Dawson – Blake
HB: Baker – Fisher – Clarke
C: Montagna – Hayes – Gram
HF: Dal Santo – Gilbert – Gamble
F: Milne – Riewoldt – McQualter
R: McEvoy – Goddard – Jones
I/C: Ray – Stanley – Armitage (Dempster)

Still not an awe-inspiring group on paper but they’ve won three out of the last four against Geelong. The small forward line could be a challenge for the Geelong backs.

Main Men:

Mitch Duncan: Stand out of the younger brigade for the Cats in pre-season and the only one to make a watertight case for inclusion come Round 1. His composure under pressure is astonishing for a second year player and he’s already shown he can seize the moment and kick a crucial goal. If Geelong are to win he needs to snag a couple of goals and present well across half forward.

Jimmy Bartel: Ablett’s gone and Selwood will (allegedly) be coping the tag. Suddenly a lot more responsibility rests on the shoulders of J Bartel. Put simply, needs to beat his direct opponent on the inside and outside if Geelong are going to win.

Travis Varcoe: I don’t want to keep banging on about that Ablett bloke but Varcoe is the natural candidate to replace him in midfield. His pace and class have been obvious for awhile and his ability to make something out of nothing is reminiscent of, well, Gary Ablett. Here’s hoping all the talk of SJ in the middle is a front and it’s really TV who gets the gig.

Brendan Goddard: Out to prove Mike Sheehan wrong? To be honest he’s probably more interested in winning a flag but Goddard’s back half of last season was electric, culminating in a staggering GF performance in which he and Lenny Hayes single-handedly tried (and nearly succeeded in) dragging St Kilda over the line. Could easily be the best player in the comp by the end of the season; if the Cats don’t curb his influence we don’t win.

Rhys Stanley: Been hearing a lot about this bloke for a while, a typical athlete-cum-footballer. If he gets the gig as third tall forward/back-up ruck it’ll be a big test for him and potentially his opponents – his size and athleticism make him (theoretically) hard to stop. With Kosi looming needs to show he’s ready for the seniors full time.

What’ll Happen:
The last three games have been tight between these sides – tight enough that a few acts of individual brilliance have been enough to sway the results. Even with the adjusted sides, new rules etc, I still see that balance basically being intact. The effect of the substitute rule is impossible to predict; will coaches hold back and use it to cover injuries, or gamble on their teams staying fit and instead run it as a tactical ploy, with the sub coming on as an impact player sometime in the second half?

With that amount of uncertainty I’m going to skip any sort of detailed prediction. The two teams will slog it out in the slippery conditions of an autumn night; low-scoring, brutal football. Scores will be tied at 64 apiece with 1.30 left on the clock in the last. The ball spills free. Varcoe picks it up one handed, sells the candy, darts forward, and fires a long pass to a leading Mitch Duncan. Duncan lines up, forty out on a tight angle…and slots it.

Geelong by 6 points.

I agree with most of that lineup.. except Byrnes will not play..

Can some people advise on who they thought had the better pre-season out of West & Simpson?

For me its Simpson and I put him as a starter over West because from what I saw in the Saints/Cats NAB Cup game he was our best ruckman that night and won the contests when he was on the ground.

B: J. Hunt – Scarlett – Milburn
HB: Enright – Taylor – Mackie
C: Kelly – Corey – Wocjinski
HF: Johnson – Hawkins – Varcoe
F: Stokes – Mooney – Duncan
R: Ottens – Selwood – Bartel
I/C: Brown – T. Hunt – Simpson (Menzel)
EMG: Guthrie Christensen Hogan

No, IMO Lonergan plays as tall defence insurance, having said that, he hasn't really put a foot wrong from mid last season, so lets see him in 2011 before we try to replace him.

lonners must stay for now as a defender (pending on match ups) gillies has not passed him which is disappointing.l thought gillies would be in the side or near close after the time he has had at the club.l hope drum can get over his injury's hes turning into the new otto with all the freak injurys.

lonners must stay for now as a defender (pending on match ups) gillies has not passed him which is disappointing.l thought gillies would be in the side or near close after the time he has had at the club.l hope drum can get over his injury's hes turning into the new otto with all the freak injurys.

He cannot maintain front position in a marking contest. He would get ripped a new one if he played against the St.Kilda forwards. He would have to improve by country mile before I could envision him playing KPP at AFL level.

On the AFL website today Chris Scott is quoted as saying "key forward James Podsiadly and midfielder Shannon Byrnes definitely won't play" against the Saints. It is also mentioned that Mitch Duncan, Taylor Hunt, Daniel Menzel would all be in the squad, according to Chris Scott and mention is also made of Mitch Brown.

I was at the Nine Lives breakfast this morning and Chris Scott made a point of saying that every player, even the younger players, will have to earn their place in the team and the team will be selected on form.

It promises to be an interesting season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back