Review AFL Round 10 autopsy - Geelong defeats GWS Giants by 65 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Round 10 Geelong vs GWS Simonds Stadium

Reminds me of the first game we played against the Gold Coast.

Geelong 3.2 8.3 16.9 21.13 (139)
Gold Coast 6.4 9.8 10.11 10.13 (73)

Nice result in the end.

I know they won by 65 points in the end BUT (bet you saw that coming!) I find it UNFATHOMABLE that they only decide to actually put in some effort when its all square at half time.
Do that against a better team they clearly dont rate and they will be down a serious amount early, FFS they have been doing it ALL YEAR!
Play all game like they did in the second half and we win by 140+ points (talking effort not margin).

It seems somewhat surreal returning to this wonderful community in this way, but congratulations on a fully deserved win.

I believe completely that the Cats will go all the way and wrap up another premiership this year, and nobody will be happier when you do than I.

Geelong still sets all the benchmarks in how the game should be played, how clubs should be run, and how fans should behave.

All due respect.

Wasted chance for percentage which could be crucial at the end of the year. They looked just as flat as I felt about Menzel at the start. Dont blame them in a way, they are human. Liked the look of McCarthy in the last - very hard at it in one contest where he won a free, and showed good spring and strength. Kelly will miss at least one which is shocking considering the importance of the next two.
Considering we had a comfortable win, such a disappointing day.

We seem to have enough options to explore with the ruck and midfield, but I worry we're going to be exposed badly when Scarlett retires. Our backline is transformed when he plays, and it seems Gillies isn't going to cut it.

They're big shoes to fill, but we simply must find someone capable of holding their own in his absence. But who?

Bathie???

Senior players stood up, Jimmy, Kel, Stevie J and Harry. Would have been nicer if Dunc, THUHT, Guthrie and co did abit more but happy with the points. Hard to get into game once heard about Menz and i wonder how this affected the young guys.

Who do we promote for Daniel?
Do we go Walker and use him as 1/2 ruck? West is not in dominating form.
Do we go Simpkin? Didn't get much of a go last week and Kelly may be out again?
Do we go Bathie? And continue to play Harry forward. Lets see if it can work when we play adults?

Ohh post game day thread The prep for this game was horrendous . I know we are not the 07/11 side but really , guys like Stokes and Gillies should be parked if thats the best they can do.

I know they won by 65 points in the end BUT (bet you saw that coming!) I find it UNFATHOMABLE that they only decide to actually put in some effort when its all square at half time.
Do that against a better team they clearly dont rate and they will be down a serious amount early, FFS they have been doing it ALL YEAR!
Play all game like they did in the second half and we win by 140+ points (talking effort not margin).

But we did the exact same thing against the GC in our first game against them last year.

We were dire in the first half. GWS had a far greater intensity around the ball - more numbers, tackling harder, cleaner hands and better disposal. The only silver lining for mine is that our senior players visibly lifted at the challenge...but then again, GWS were always going to drop off so hard to read too much into it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

.... Ohh post game day thread The prep for this game was horrendous . I know we are not the 07/11 side but really , guys like Stokes and Gillies should be parked if thats the best they can do.

Stokes is in horrid form and cannot see him playing next week. Will takes some balls for Scott to drop him but plenty of excuses with the cattle to come back in.

Disappointing effort but at least we got the 4 points.

Will need to lift a lot next week. Must lift around the midfield in particular.

Changes wise the three late withdrawals will come in you would think. Unfortunately sounds like Bundy is injured. I would like them to roll the dice with Wojo as his pace will be crucial although they may not.

Given Scott said early in the week that they wanted to bring the second rookie straight up as soon as the rules allowed, you would assume (pending Menzel confirmation of course) that Simpkin will be every chance to come straight back in.

At a guess maybe:
In: Enright Motlop Corey Wojo (sub) Simpkin
Out: Schroder McCarthy Gillies Smedts Guthrie

I am assuming Hawk won't be right, unlikely you would return one week after surgery I reckon.

One of those guys can get a reprieve if Kelly gets cited (I hope not as we need his clearance work). I thought Stringer was the best of the kids and should stay in if possible.

Do we go Bathie? And continue to play Harry forward. Lets see if it can work when we play adults?

Ohh post game day thread The prep for this game was horrendous . I know we are not the 07/11 side but really , guys like Stokes and Gillies should be parked if thats the best they can do.

Harry today was an experiment, but I think he'll stay back as the season gets serious. It seems the MC are keen to bring Dawson in to rest West / Orren as soon as he proves himself, so I reckon we'll see Bundy and / or Simpkin in asap to address our deficiency in the midfield / contested possessions.

Walker might make us too tall, given we might have Dawson in and Hawkins to return.

At any other moment in our recent history, Stokes would be back playing VFL. With Kelly missing a week, he may yet again have his ass saved. But I'd love to see MC make a point and drop him just the same.

I agree, however the reality is with Bundy unlikely to be available, and possibly Kelly also, I don't think this, in what is really an 8 point game for us, is time to make a statement and drop Stokes. Wouldn't be angry to see it happen but it would surprise me if it happens.

I agree, however the reality is with Bundy unlikely to be available, and possibly Kelly also, I don't think this, in what is really an 8 point game for us, is time to make a statement and drop Stokes. Wouldn't be angry to see it happen but it would surprise me if it happens.

Drop Stokes, keep Smedst in. He did alot more today and deserves more game time, regardless of what happens. Same with Stringer; those two youngsters should be in no matter what.

Anyway, we're in trouble. Has there been a game yet where we have played well for a consistent four quarters? Maybe the Hawks game? However, if we beat Carlton, we go into the break with a decent winning streak. Then who knows what happens after that.

Simpkin they said they wanted to bring back up after round 11 when they would get another elevation so he would be almost certain to come up straight away for Menzel. And given our contested ball issues, and he's shown ability with that in the vfl, it has to be certain.

We would then get another elevation after the break which Walker Bathie etc etc can compete for.

Re the talls if Hawk isn't fit it wouldn't surprise me to see Harry play forward again next week as the Blues don't have an overly tall forward line and we might be too top heavy at the back. I don't think it will be a permanent thing though, Harry will return to his usual station soo.

I thought Gillies was meh, neither good nor bad, although I would like to see him impact more.

Stokes was disappointing although he wasn't the only one, a lot of our guys were down today.

Drop Stokes, keep Smedst in. He did alot more today and deserves more game time, regardless of what happens. Same with Stringer; those two youngsters should be in no matter what.

Nope. Smedts coughs it up too much. Wont handle pressure against carlton. Straight swap for Hawkins amongst others.

FWIW, I think 100% effort from someone like McCarthy is at least = to 20% from Stokes.

He did some good things when give the chance, so I'd be comfortable with giving him another week at Stokes expense.

I thought Gillies was meh, neither good nor bad, although I would like to see him impact more.

Stokes was disappointing although he wasn't the only one, a lot of our guys were down today.

Too kind . Both were play a VFL side and should be desperate to show they can play. I can almost give a Hall Pass to more secure players but these guys should have let it rip. Gillies kicking is not good enough he is involved in too many turnovers.

It seems somewhat surreal returning to this wonderful community in this way, but congratulations on a fully deserved win.

Didn't you used to be one of us??

Anyway - to the game. Really Really concerning first half. It was like they thought the goals would kick themselves. I do believe the injuries to Menz and Christensen would have shaken-up the group (I was shaken-up!).

Second half was more what was to expected. Stevie J followed up last weeks excellent mid-field game with a first class forward impact game this week. Harry as a forward worked well. Of the young fellas - I liked Duncan's game (bit quite early - but not the only one). Guthrie is a keeper, and T Hunt is definitely in our best 22. Stringer has some real drive.

We'll need a 4Q effort to take Carlton next week.

Anyway, we're in trouble. Has there been a game yet where we have played well for a consistent four quarters? Maybe the Hawks game? However, if we beat Carlton, we go into the break with a decent winning streak. Then who knows what happens after that.

I don't think Smedts is ready at this point though he was better today.

But I do take your point, and if Stokes was dropped for one of the returning late withdrawals or Woj or Simpkin who deserves back in on his vfl form, then that's ok with me. I just don't think MC will do it, not at this time.

Yes, we haven't been consistent across 4 quarters in most games this week, we need to be next week or we won't win. It's a huge game, for all our poor form if we win it and are 7-4 at the break, that is a real platform from which to launch a finals assault. Big difference between 7-4 and 6-5 though.

Too kind . Both were play a VFL side and should be desperate to show they can play. I can almost give a Hall Pass to more secure players but these guys should have let it rip. Gillies kicking is not good enough he is involved in too many turnovers.

Maybe.

I do agree Stokes down games are quite down.

And I'd like to see Gillies show more for a 4th year player, like some of our other youngsters have done. Still not yet convinced that he will become a very good key defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review AFL Round 10 autopsy - Geelong defeats GWS Giants by 65 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back