Review AFL Round 10 autopsy - Geelong defeats GWS Giants by 65 points

Remove this Banner Ad

No way. Simpson is still weeks away fitness wise.

I do agree on the rest though, if you want to remain competitive you can't overload the side with inexperienced players (I'd say more than 6 or 7 is too many) and that is part of the reason why Stokes will probably remain for now. He'd want to find form quick smart though.

I agree on Hawk, don't think he will be risked.

Do we even know what he had done?

I didn't write him off but I think you generally get a good idea on what sort of player they are on first look. I am pretty sure he is not one of the five midfield players we need to find over the next 3 years.

If I was Hogan, I'd be dirty he was picked ahead of me. Is that unfair?
Have you seen Hogan play in the twos this year?

I think it's a fair point that you get an idea of a player early on. But I also think it's absurd to label him a 'scrubber' after his first game, and I find it fascinating you're saying stuff like that whilst simultaneously talking up Smedts. I like Billie and think, like you, that's he's got huge potential - but he's also clearly struggling to make the step up from juniors (which is basically what he's played) with certain aspects of his game, and if our only objective this year was a flag he wouldn't be getting a game. I thought that looked like Schroder's problem - clearly found the pace of the game problematic, particularly given the manic tackling pressure GWS were putting on. Hardly unexpected for a first gamer.

He'll never be a polished gem, but FWIW his playing strength his contested ball, tackling and goalkicking - so yes, could well be one of the midfielders we need going forward.

Positives:
Didn't lose a quarter
No injuries
Won contested possession count
McCarthy debut
Found another forward option in Taylor
Good game from Bartel after a few quiet weeks
Will be in the top 8 at rounds end
SJ has played two good games in a row
Chappy's continued strong form - 25disp, 2goals avg since rd4

On Schroder, sure he's not fit enough yet and struggles to spread (which is why I'd be surprised if he plays a lot of senior footy this year) but his work at the contest was quite good, has some good attributes.
Before the match Balme was on ABC and talked briefly about Schroder and McCarthy. The thinking is that neither are quite ready but they wanted to have a look at them in seniors. With Schroder they really like his inside play and hard at it attitude, but he isn't running at a level required, but that is seen as something that is a matter of time.

On the whole, no real positives today. Menzel (inj), Bundy (inj), Kelly (susp). Selwood looked proppy too.

Not panic stations, but if Bundy is seriously injured we will be a very slim chance to beat Carlton or Sydney.

We lack run and hardness. Not having Bundy (if) and Kelly (if, but almost certainly) isn't going to help. And I'm shattered for Menzel.

The Jester, yes Scrubber was a bit harsh, apologies. I wish him well, maybe he can make it as a flanker my point (badly expressed perhaps) was that we still are searching for replacements for our midfield and it might take a while.

The Jester, yes Scrubber was a bit harsh, apologies. I wish him well, maybe he can make it as a flanker my point (badly expressed perhaps) was that we still are searching for replacements for our midfield and it might take a while.
Haha actually came back on to say that while I thought you'd been harsh on Schroder I also thought the general tenor of your post was spot on. There's clearly a big gap in our prospect pool between a handful of elite talents and a group of players who could, in the next couple of years, turn into something but on a conservative estimate represent depth. As I said in PDW, think our top priority in the draft this year needs to be a couple of well-rounded midfielders who are at a level of development - both physically and with their actual game - where they'll be playing more games than not in 2013-14.

Maybe I am old fashioned but I am happy with any win. Loved Bartel's game. Taylor is a superstar. Smedts has huge potential.

Stringer is a rolls Royce compared with Schroder, dear me, what a scrubber. Why on earth did he play ahead of Hogan or Horlin-Smith?

8 contested possies, thats why he was played

And Stokes doesn't? He hasnt played a good game in a long long time. has been in sub par form for basically a season and a half. Needs a run in the reserves.

He was good against the Magpies, which is only two games ago.

But I agree he'll be out of the team soon if he can't get into space and kick goals like he does when in form. Stokes and Byrnes should be playing their best footy this year. It's very disappointing that they aren't.

Haha actually came back on to say that while I thought you'd been harsh on Schroder I also thought the general tenor of your post was spot on. There's clearly a big gap in our prospect pool between a handful of elite talents and a group of players who could, in the next couple of years, turn into something but on a conservative estimate represent depth. As I said in PDW, think our top priority in the draft this year needs to be a couple of well-rounded midfielders who are at a level of development - both physically and with their actual game - where they'll be playing more games than not in 2013-14.

Of Stringer, Cowan, Simpkin, Schroder and Horlin-Smith (the mids out of best 22) I hold our the most hope for Cowan. I liked the way he moved last year. Looks a bit smoother and has better running capacity. Shame he is injured. Would love to see him back in seniors by year end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So much bagging of Stokes, Gillies, and even Mackie seems to be copping it from his usual haters.

I thought Stokes wasn't bad. He needs to hit the scoreboard more, but I thought otherwise he was quite busy and useful on the forward line. I have no idea why there is even a suggestion of dropping him.
Gillies started very poorly and I was very unimpressed. But then I thought from there he was quite solid and did some good things.
Mackie was great.

Given all the outs I was just praying for a win. And praying even harder at half time.
From halfway through the second quarter Geelong dominated proceedings and that was enough to make me happy.

You can sense that Geelong and the coaches and match committee are juggling furiously - the balls in the air are playing-youngsters, gunning-for-another-finals-tilt, injuries, and form.
It's a tightrope that the club is walking at the moment. And it's fascinating to watch.

Yep -quite pleased in the end. Lots out and really they are not knocking themselves out at all times-pacing themselves, like a good rachorse who just gets head in front at end perhaps. Fair enough-long season.
What is wrong with Stokes-great bloke, terrific around the club but not doing enough. He will be first out when people back. I would stick with Smedts also-got to get games into the kids. Guthrie got better as game went along. Thought Gillies started to show a little confidence and a bit of run. Happy with the oldies -go Chappy.
What was going on with Selwood-why did he go down race etc

So much bagging of Stokes, Gillies, and even Mackie seems to be copping it from his usual haters.

I thought Stokes wasn't bad. He needs to hit the scoreboard more, but I thought otherwise he was quite busy and useful on the forward line. I have no idea why there is even a suggestion of dropping him.
Gillies started very poorly and I was very unimpressed. But then I thought from there he was quite solid and did some good things.
Mackie was great.

Given all the outs I was just praying for a win. And praying even harder at half time.
From halfway through the second quarter Geelong dominated proceedings and that was enough to make me happy.

You can sense that Geelong and the coaches and match committee are juggling furiously - the balls in the air are playing-youngsters, gunning-for-another-finals-tilt, injuries, and form.
It's a tightrope that the club is walking at the moment. And it's fascinating to watch.

Fair enough but something is missing at the moment he's holding the ball up more than any other player,it's as if he's waiting for Moons to lead:D

For all Chapman's poor early form, he's still tracking for 500+ possessions and 30+ goals for the season which reinforces his position as one of the top goal kicking mids.

Yep -quite pleased in the end. Lots out and really they are not knocking themselves out at all times-pacing themselves, like a good rachorse who just gets head in front at end perhaps. Fair enough-long season.
What is wrong with Stokes-great bloke, terrific around the club but not doing enough. He will be first out when people back. I would stick with Smedts also-got to get games into the kids. Guthrie got better as game went along. Thought Gillies started to show a little confidence and a bit of run. Happy with the oldies -go Chappy.

Maybe a jarred knee from the vision I saw. Came back on with some taping on it but battled on well and hard at the footy as always.

Hopefully he's 100 % for next week because we need him around the coalface where we are struggling, and this will be pronounced if Kelly is out next week.

Fair enough but something is missing at the moment he's holding the ball up more than any other player,it's as if he's waiting for Moons to lead:D

Yes, I'm not arguing that Stokes is playing great. He needs to improve. Just saying that he's also doing some good stuff out there.
JPod is playing average too and I don't hear any suggestions about dropping him.

Don't know about that I reckon the blokes you would like to be able to pace themselves ie the veterans are having to flog themselves to keep us in games and finals contention.

This is what Chris Scott said and you'd have to think it played a part early on in the match.

GEELONG coach Chris Scott says his players found it hard to get up for their clash with Greater Western Sydney after seeing their teammate Daniel Menzel suffer a serious knee injury during the curtain-raiser.

The Cats were expected to win easily, yet they trailed the youthful Giants by 12 points midway through the second quarter.

"It probably did [deflate the players]," Scott said. "You wouldn't be human if you didn't feel desperately for 'Menz'.

"It would be naïve to think those things don't have any impact at all."

Considering the injuries to Menzel and Christensen I'm happy with the win that's boosted our percentage a little bit too.

For all Chapman's poor early form, he's still tracking for 500+ possessions and 30+ goals for the season which reinforces his position as one of the top goal kicking mids.

Without knowing the stats, I'd say that Chappie's graph would be rising steadily over the last five or six weeks. His confidence seems to be gathering each week.
I love his imperious foot skills and his strength at the ball.
And can kick a goal. :)

Good also to realize our lower draft picks were today up against supposedly the cream of the nation.

They were there, but not UP. They were carried by our elite, which is to be expected.

Its all relative really.

Apart from perhaps one, maybe two games, Chapman has been good all year.

Those saying he was finished have egg on their faces again.

Honestly, reading the game day thread is embarrassing for some posters on here. Sinking the boot in using all the emotive language about how shit we are... until we turn it around and the tide turns, and then...... silence ....in some cases never making another comment. If we start doing ok it seems they have nothing to say.

Compensatory behaviour in all its glory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review AFL Round 10 autopsy - Geelong defeats GWS Giants by 65 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back