Preview AFL Round 14 - Geelong v Adelaide, Skilled Stadium, 1:10PM Sunday 26 June

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crows $11 into $8.50
Line 60 points into 47

On speculation or someone knows something?
Hutchy and Pickers said their word was Bartel and Ottens out with Kelly 50/50

Nigel Lappin on Mitch Brown in todays “Age”

We feel like he'll actually play better at senior level once he's played a fair few games than what he will at VFL level.....
He's got really good goal sense, and he's got really good awareness, reads the game very well for a tall forward and he plays probably more like a third tall floating across packs and [can] take a mark and [a] lead-up player and he's just a beautiful kick for goal.

Go Mitch!:thumbsu:

Also while Byrnes for Bartel isn't exactly like-for-like, it does give us the opportunity to put some gametime into an experienced campaigner who we'll probably need in finals, if Varcoe's form doesn't pick up. Byrnes is fast and provides a contest, lacks Varcoe's polish at finishing but knows what is required.

D Simpson, Motlop and Cowan NOT lining up in the VFL today

Its not often all 3 are kept on standby

D Simpson, Motlop and Cowan NOT lining up in the VFL today

Its not often all 3 are kept on standby

It's possible that one, or even two, of them are due for their regulation rest week as happened with Christensen last week of course, but it does suggest that Kelly and perhaps Ottens may not play tomorrow.

We'll find out in 24 hours but regardless of the result i think it'd be healthy for us to get a game into both Dawson Simpson and Stevie Motlop so i won't be shattered if the predicted changes occur.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cowan now becomes an emergency

You serious? The fact that they felt compelled to put an extra emg in means several guys must be in doubt.

All of Byrnes, Motlop Simpson and Cowan may play :eek::eek::eek:

Either that or three mids are out and they want to bring three smalls in for them rather than a tall which is why Cowan's come onto the list.

How the hell do the bookmakers have Adelaide at such long odds? We're missing a third of our first 22. Adelaide, no matter how poorly they're going at the moment, are still a decent AFL team who deserve at least some respect. I'd install the Crows as favourites if Kelly and Ottens don't turn up.

This.

In fact I was going to make an almost identical point, but you said it better.

Hawkins has the ability to improve on what we have at the moment in the first 22. He's flexible, he facilitates better structures when he's playing well, and he offers Pods much needed support. Simpson cannot help us out in any of these regards - if Dawson lines up for us in finals, for whatever reason, we can guarantee it is a bad sign. Whereas Hawkins may be out of touch at the moment, but if he finds form it makes us a more dynamic side in my opinion (preferably working in tandem with Pods and Vardy in a three-pronged attack).

And I can't say I appreciate the logic that says that because Hawkins endured some poor form in the AFL, he's automatically relegated behind all the other big men on our list. He hasn't fallen that far down the hierarchy - even operating at 50% capacity he still offers more around the ground than West and Simpson.

Simpson is completely redundant whenever Brad Ottens lines up anyway. It's as if people want him in the team not on his own merits, but as a punitive course of action against Hawkins. Whenever I've seen the VFL this season my impression of Simpson has been more 'meh' than 'wow'.

It is a bit frustrating with Hawkins, he never seems to get a run at it.

Just when he seemed set for some time at FF Pods came along and (rightfully) took that position. So some time in the VFL being KPF beckoned.

But then we needed him for the mobile ruck role so no VFL KPF time.

Starts to play really well there (one 4 goal game as roving ruck I remember), gets injured. Then Mooney is nearly done but Hawkins is out of form and again playing a role that he is not really suited to.

So gets dropped for a run in the VFL, plays one game then gets injured. Then back to the senior team to cover that ruck role with Vardy out.

Personally would like him to play a consistent string of games as a KPF in the VFL (or even the AFL) but circumstances seem to always work against him.

How the hell do the bookmakers have Adelaide at such long odds? We're missing a third of our first 22. Adelaide, no matter how poorly they're going at the moment, are still a decent AFL team who deserve at least some respect. I'd install the Crows as favourites if Kelly and Ottens don't turn up.
Never pay attention to odds, the casual punter will just look at the team and their position on the ladder when taking a punt.

This will be an interesting test for our '08 & '09 draft classes - they will make up near 1/3rd of the team.

Odds are determined by the amount of money bet. The Crows will only become 'favourites' if more money is on them than Geelong to win. Betting odds are designed so that in the end the bookmakers are always ahead.

Its not the bookmakers that have no respect for the Crows, it is the punters.

The litany of injuries we have going in to this game just makes me curse Joel Selwood's stupidity even more. We really could have done with him for this one. Hopefully he learns from his behaviour, just as hopefully the club learns that "defending Joel's reputation" is a specious and ridiculous reason to risk incurring another week's suspension.

Odds are determined by the amount of money bet. The Crows will only become 'favourites' if more money is on them than Geelong to win. Betting odds are designed so that in the end the bookmakers are always ahead.

Its not the bookmakers that have no respect for the Crows, it is the punters.

Bookies still would have had Crows about $9-12 outsiders to begin with but they have the inside word on everything. Wouldn't be at all surprised they sense the team has lost it's faith with the coach and perhaps they are bigger debacle than what they are showing on the outside. Tomorrow's match could be the final straw for the coach and perhaps a couple of players too. Cats win it by 44 points imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back