Preview AFL Round 14 - Geelong v Fremantle, Simonds Stadium, 7:40PM Saturday 29 June

Predict the margin

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are massively overrating Blicavs, yes his ball getting ability is impressive but his disposal doesn't hurt the opposition, he doesn't take contested marks and his ruck work is average.

With a fit Simpson he is more likely to be no2 ruck because his around the ground work is very good but with Simpson only able to play 2/3rds of the game West has to be no2.

Defensively both Simpson and Blicavs are poor and it's part of the reason we got ran over by Brisbane.

West is better defensively and can take contested marks both of which are important against freo.

Blicavs should be sub, the sub needs to be someone who can have an impact and add plenty of run. Blicavs is like a tall Kane Mitchell, the big reason Port won all those games early is because they had Mitchell come on as sub running through the centre and linking up.

We've been at our best when we have had a good sub come on and have an impact (Stokes/Christensen) and at our worst with inexperienced or unfit subs (J Hunt vs Pies and Stringer against the lions both having no impact).

Blicavs would be a real headache as sub and could be our trump card in September.

In terms of the first bolded you must be watching a different game to me , he goes close to 100% DE and provides vital quality linking , score involvement through the middle/corridor. He tackles well and has plenty of pressure acts , look at how many times he spoils / deflects opposition handballs in traffic.

I agree with the second but not as a sub. His endurance and talent means he can provide the run and link from the get go and keep going late when others have tired.

Well worth looking at what a Simpson / West Ruck combo plus Ballroom as a tall utility/ wing looks like before September.
Ballroom has a unique skill set and we need to explore it to its' best advantage ;)

I wonder what the best combination is for Greo and then Hawthorn?

I'd be playing him against both teams would you?

Max Bailey is not a strong ruckman and either is Clarke, in fact, I doubt Hawthorn play Bailey against us and will choose to go with Hale so Simpson's inclusion is nice timing indeed.

I haven't seen Simpson play all year until last week and he looks much stronger than what I saw of him last year.
He looks toned and super fit after a very good pre season by all accounts.
Unfortunate to have suffered the back complaint as he may have been a revelation (still will be).

I know I'll be crucified for saying this, but I'm just not sure Simpson can play as a no.1 ruck on Saturday night without some kind of assistance from West. We'd be missing a lot of experience in our ruck division by by leaving out West, and Daws doesn't have that ability to string together four quarters of his best footy yet.

Would really hate to see a scenario on Saturday night where we're clinging onto a narrow lead at 3/4 time, Daws is fatigued but playing really well, and he runs out of puff in the last 1/4. Could make a bigger difference to the final result in that situation than what some people think.

There are several options as far as rucking goes:
1. Simpson as #1 ruck, Blicavs as #2 ruck
2. West as #1 ruck, Blicavs as #2 ruck
3. West as #1 ruck, Simpson as #2 ruck
4. Simpson starts as #2 ruck before being subbed off for Blicavs (with West being our no.1 ruck)
5. Simpson starts as #1 ruck before being subbed off for West (with Blitz playing second fiddle)

Option 4 or 5 is what I'd personally prefer, but I can understand the need to err on the cautious side in terms of going overly tall. If it came to playing just two ruckmen, then I'd go for West/Blicavs.

Why? Blitz is almost undroppable on form and his ball-winning ability around the ground would really come in handy on Saturday night. West needs to play as our 1st ruck in order to add some experience, consistency, and hitout-winning ability in that area.

Daws was fantastic last week for 3/4, but our ruck setup fell apart in the last quarter as he tired. Don't want that happening again in a game as crucial to our premiership/top 4 aspirations as this one, and so I think West could be the way to go.

Agree, or what about Daws #1, West #2 and Blitz as sub? Does Blitz need time to warm up? My thought is he is so fit, he could decimate Freo ??? I actually have little idea, just posing the question, can't wait to see the decision of CS and MC!

People are massively overrating Blicavs, yes his ball getting ability is impressive but his disposal doesn't hurt the opposition, he doesn't take contested marks and his ruck work is average.

With a fit Simpson he is more likely to be no2 ruck because his around the ground work is very good but with Simpson only able to play 2/3rds of the game West has to be no2.

Defensively both Simpson and Blicavs are poor and it's part of the reason we got ran over by Brisbane.

West is better defensively and can take contested marks both of which are important against freo.

Blicavs should be sub, the sub needs to be someone who can have an impact and add plenty of run. Blicavs is like a tall Kane Mitchell, the big reason Port won all those games early is because they had Mitchell come on as sub running through the centre and linking up.

We've been at our best when we have had a good sub come on and have an impact (Stokes/Christensen) and at our worst with inexperienced or unfit subs (J Hunt vs Pies and Stringer against the lions both having no impact).

Blicavs would be a real headache as sub and could be our trump card in September.

That was my thinking, well 'hoping' actually! He is also versatile and the prospect creates excitement, well for me anyway.

Mate, I was completely on your page early season, I was very critical of having Blicavs in the team (not critical of him mind you), simply because he looked so inexperienced.

However, I am more than willing to concede that his development has put him clearly in the best 22. He has been phenomenal, not only providing ruck support, but also being a genuine linking option in general play and his hard ball / contested ball approach is simply phenomenal for someone of his dimensions. His biggest asset is simply the fact that he gets into so many good positions courtesy of his running.....this is magnified in the second half as so many other tire around him. I think it would defeat the purpose to have him come in as sub as it is his endurance and not his speed that is providing the benefit....he can maintain a high intensity of running for the entire game.

Still think that coaches might even have a look at Blicavs as a genuine Winger and play a West / Simpson or Vardy option.....big call, but might happen.

6. Simpson as #1 ruck, West as #2 ruck.

If we want to win hitouts, that's the combination we have to use. Plus think about when West plays his best footy - late in games, when he runs over the top of guys. He'd be the perfect guy to relieve Simpson at three quarter time.

Absolutely agree. Simpson #1, West #2. Blitz can run all day linking up and down the ground so let him do that. He can come over 3rd man up sometimes if needed. Blitz has an amazing fitness so I don't see a real need for him as a sub.

Mate, I was completely on your page early season, I was very critical of having Blicavs in the team (not critical of him mind you), simply because he looked so inexperienced.

However, I am more than willing to concede that his development has put him clearly in the best 22. He has been phenomenal, not only providing ruck support, but also being a genuine linking option in general play and his hard ball / contested ball approach is simply phenomenal for someone of his dimensions. His biggest asset is simply the fact that he gets into so many good positions courtesy of his running.....this is magnified in the second half as so many other tire around him. I think it would defeat the purpose to have him come in as sub as it is his endurance and not his speed that is providing the benefit....he can maintain a high intensity of running for the entire game.

Still think that coaches might even have a look at Blicavs as a genuine Winger and play a West / Simpson or Vardy option.....big call, but might happen.

Big call but a very necessary call IMHO
As I said earlier he has a unique skill set which we need to fully explore - needs time as a tall utility/winger to see what he can offer.
I remember Richo tearing us a new one when he ran the wing on the G , not only couldn't we catch him but when we did we couldn't outmark him.........reckon Ballroom has that potential.

Big call but a very necessary call IMHO
As I said earlier he has a unique skill set which we need to fully explore - needs time as a tall utility/winger to see what he can offer.
I remember Richo tearing us a new one when he ran the wing on the G , not only couldn't we catch him but when we did we couldn't outmark him.........reckon Ballroom has that potential.
That position is there for the taking and Blitz maybe good enough to do it this year.....however, with new bench restrictions next year the Blitz is going to be a very valuable player! Who could possibly go with him on a wing?

I'd be playing him against both teams would you?

Max Bailey is not a strong ruckman and either is Clarke, in fact, I doubt Hawthorn play Bailey against us and will choose to go with Hale so Simpson's inclusion is nice timing indeed.
Footscore, I'm really unsure and that is why I asked :confused:

In terms of the first bolded you must be watching a different game to me , he goes close to 100% DE and provides vital quality linking , score involvement through the middle/corridor. He tackles well and has plenty of pressure acts , look at how many times he spoils / deflects opposition handballs in traffic.

I agree with the second but not as a sub. His endurance and talent means he can provide the run and link from the get go and keep going late when others have tired.

Well worth looking at what a Simpson / West Ruck combo plus Ballroom as a tall utility/ wing looks like before September.
Ballroom has a unique skill set and we need to explore it to its' best advantage ;)

Completely agree with that - on Sunday he had 17 disposals at 100% DE, 3 R50s. 2 I50s, 2 goal assists & 4 1%s. I was particularly impressed with his goal assist for Mackie to kick our 2nd goal of the game, he gets the ball near the boundary outside of 50 and takes time to assess his options and handballs to Mackie on the run who kicks the goal.

At the start of the season I doubt many fans (probably also some within the club) thought he would be able to play effectively as the #2 ruck for even a couple of games, but every time he steps onto the field he is able to surprise us with just how well he is playing his role and contributing to the team. I don't know why we should doubt that he could have a positive impact playing as a tall utility / wing role moving forward - he may not be as effective in that role to start with and may need time in the VFL to really develop into an effective tall utility, or he might adapt to a new role with the same ease he seems to have adapted to AFL life so far and be able to run an opposition opponent off his feet: he is tall, but lets see if he is going to be limited to 'tall KP player' or if he can make it as a tall utility.

I think that's part of what hurts Vardy's ruck statistics: that there's been games where he has been practically a permanent forward. It seems really obvious, but there should be statistics available for hit outs contested, rather than just hit outs won. The players that get to 50-60 ruck contests a game deserve credit for doing that (even if they're not winning the majority), but I'd also like to know if one of our ruckmen has only contested 25-30, but won 75-80% of them. That would be a major weapon for a #2 ruck and it's something that I think West can provide in that role.

I would love to see stats for hit outs contested but not sure how to find them other than actually record the stats personally. I think with players going 3rd man up it might make it hard for official stats as I have seen with the Geelong boys were West will put his hand up to say he is the ruck for that particular contest, but he uses his body to legally block for Blitz to go 3rd man up and get the tap; and the other way around & using other players.

With Vardy I want to know what role do they see for him in the future. Is he set to replace Pods in the forward line, but at the moment his games might involve him as the #2 ruck just so they have a position for him on the ground and get games into his legs, or do they see him as a genuine ruck option going forward? I think the club needs to work out what role they actually want him to play and develop him in that role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's my crack at the meat tray;

Enright, Lonergan, Guthrie
Mackie, Taylor, J.Hunt
Christensen, Bartel, T.Hunt
Motlop, Pods, Duncan
Stokes, Hawk, Smedts
Simpson, Selwood, Kelly

West, Corey, Caddy, Blicavs

Pods v Mcpharlin / Hawk v Dawson is obvious, but Westy coming off the bench and pushing forward to make Johnson accountable could pay dividends.

Mackie, Taylor, J.Hunt
Motlop, Pods, Duncan
Stokes, Hawk, Smedts
Simpson, Selwood, Kelly

Pods v Mcpharlin / Hawk v Dawson is obvious, but Westy coming off the bench and pushing forward to make Johnson accountable could pay dividends.

I like it but I'd personally go with Vardy over Blicavs and Thurlow over Hunt because Vardy will likely kick a few more than what West will.
Will be very interesting to see what the match committee go with tomorrow afternoon.

It would be unlike Scott to shock us with a couple big name outs on the back of a poor showing last week in order to make a statement but who knows.

I like it but I'd personally go with Vardy over Blicavs and Thurlow over Hunt because Vardy will likely kick a few more than what West will.
Will be very interesting to see what the match committee go with tomorrow afternoon.

It would be unlike Scott to shock us with a couple big name outs on the back of a poor showing last week in order to make a statement but who knows.

But would we be too tall with Vardy? - something we seem to have fallen into the trap with a couple of times this year: Simpson, West, Hawkins, Pods, Vardy, Lonergan & Taylor are all key position players, whether its in the back line, forward line or in the ruck. None of them are really utility type players, Taylor is the closest with being able to play as a genuine forward or genuine back but he still plays as a key position in either of those roles.

I think the suggestion of Blitz is more so to see what he can do in a midfield type role, play as a tall utility who can set up on the wing, give a chop out in the ruck if we have to sub out either West or Simpson, play as a 3rd tall in backline is needed etc - offers a bit more versatility than Vardy does in terms of positions he can play.

For Vardy, it might be a case of selecting between him, West & Pods - do they want him as the #2 fwd or the #2 ruck?

whatever the team is, they gotta play Vardy, if that's at the expense of Podsiadly then so be it because Vardy is the bloke who can replicate what Hawkins did in the 2nd half of 2011, he needs games before he really gets going and shows his full potential so hopefully he plays this week.
Guy is ready to explode imo.

whatever the team is, they gotta play Vardy, if that's at the expense of Podsiadly then so be it because Vardy is the bloke who can replicate what Hawkins did in the 2nd half of 2011, he needs games before he really gets going and shows his full potential so hopefully he plays this week.

Do you play Vards ahead of West?
Pods would have a better chance of success going up against Mcpharlin IMO

If fit West comes in without a doubt for mine, I've said it elsewhere (or even in this thread) that Simpson/West in the ruck would be a very good duo and would almost instantly (provided form and fitness) turn out clearance numbers around.
We have to see it.
I'm all for it.

I wouldn't have an issue with that - treat the Vardy/Pods situation the same way they treated the Hawkins/Moons situation in 2011, but just slightly earlier in the season. It's not like Pods has been poor this year, he has is ave career high disposals and near career high marks and there is nothing wrong with that, but is slightly down on goals from last yr which have actually decreased each season, and if they are looking at Pods being in the side as a tall fwd scoring goals than it is an issue. He has gone goalless in 2 games, and only kicked multiple goals in 4 games, so as good as we know he can be, we aren't seeing that from him at the moment.
Let's see Vardy goes as a key forward and give him a month -> 6 weeks working alongside Hawkins to see what sort of combination they form as the general consensus seems to be that those 2 are looked at as our next generation fwd combination. And let him focus on his role as a forward and develop into that role.

Mackie, Taylor, J.Hunt
Motlop, Pods, Duncan
Stokes, Hawk, Smedts
Simpson, Selwood, Kelly

Wouldn't mind Johnson on west - run off him at every opportunity

Do you play Vards ahead of West?
Pods would have a better chance of success going up against Mcpharlin IMO

no, I would play West ahead of him.
It's between Pods or Vardy imo, Pods has been terrific highlighting his versatility this year but I am not sure he will be needed down back this week as Fremantle don't exactly have the biggest forward line, they rely on mid-sized or small types to kick the bulk of their goals so it's either Podsiadly one out in the goal square or Vardy.

Let's see Vardy goes as a key forward and give him a month -> 6 weeks working alongside Hawkins to see what sort of combination they form as the general consensus seems to be that those 2 are looked at as our next generation fwd combination

What about resting Hawk this week and play the Vardy/J-Pod combo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back