Preview AFL Round 9 - Collingwood v Geelong, MCG, Friday 21 May 7:40PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that if you were to watch a replay you would find that he was not alone. I was frustrated by how many times Geelong players kicked the ball clearly to the opposition. They couldn't have done it better if Collingwood players were wearing the hoops. Enright, Mackie, Selwood ect.

Could have won by more if the disposal into the forward line was better.

But in the end the correct team won.

I almost wondered if some of the players were having a hard time distinguishing between the jumpers? Normally you wouldn't think there would be a clash but I recall Varcoe running towards goal and handballing straight to a Collingwood player. It may have just been pressure and sloppy skills but it looked fairly deliberate to me.

Well that was a good game. Yes they made errors but that is because they back themselves 100% even when its tight and when it comes off it is devastating.

I was really impressed with our 10-22 players.

Lonegan again I thought was great,
Blake had his best game ever (ever for his goal assist for Collingwood),
Varcoe incredible run (the goal he got when he was in the play at half way, kept running then looped around to lead out of the goal square in the same play),
I am loving Hawkins in the ruck, he was good.
Wojac, hitting it with pace,
Pods and his safe hands and is prepared to go in low for the ball on the ground.

Kelly and Bartel were standouts.

Geelong's achilles heel is in the ruck without Ottens.

The pies to lay over 90 tackles on Friday and the cats thanks to their stubborn obsession with moving it through the corridor will be coughing it up more than a tuberculoses patient.

One thing for sure is there'll be no salad sandwhiches for bomber Thompson in the coaches box.

Pies easily by 49 although it could be more if they don't put the cue in the rack early in the 4th.
The dawning of a new handbaggers era is upon us ladies and gentlemen.

Can's ask for more than 2 flags in 3 years.
:confused:

fantastic win. The pies really put them under pressure and made us look slow more than once. But that fantastic defence we have was like the Rock of Gibraltor. A few errors by all players and sloppy turnovers. But the perceived pressure out there looked like it was playing a big part in the players decision making. Overall, very nice win and the boys look like a force to be reckoned with in 2010.

DidakkDelight - our Achilles heel gave your ruckmen an absolute pantsing so pull your head in..Blake 21 HO, Jolly 15 HO, Wood 9 HO, Hawkins 8 HO.

Geelong's achilles heel is in the ruck without Ottens.

The pies to lay over 90 tackles on Friday and the cats thanks to their stubborn obsession with moving it through the corridor will be coughing it up more than a tuberculoses patient.

One thing for sure is there'll be no salad sandwhiches for bomber Thompson in the coaches box.

Pies easily by 49 although it could be more if they don't put the cue in the rack early in the 4th.
The dawning of a new handbaggers era is upon us ladies and gentlemen.

Can's ask for more than 2 flags in 3 years.

Collingwood were only able to score 1 point over 49 in the entire game. Lol.

Blake and Hawkins fared well, Geelong won because they played attacking footy through the corridor. That same 'obsession' is the kind of thing you do if you want to win big games and premierships.

was super impressed with Loners tonight.. I felt cloke early had a bit of it and was troubling harry.. they made a change and loners shut cloke down, and harry got his confidence up and got into the game towelling up dawes...

Also impressed with a few of hunts efforts.. for all the flak he coped for pulling his head in against the saints years back was rapt to see him cut across in front of cloke in the 2nd quarter and spoil (i hope that was hunt lol!!)

great win, played some great footy and had to scrap at times too.. Throw in Ottens, corey and even rooke if we can.. very hard to pick players to miss out and very hard to beat..

The Mighty Cats kept them goalless in the last.

Was Cloke on the ground anywhere? :rolleyes:

If only Freo could have maintained that sort of defence.

Geelong v Fremantle for the GF; it would be flowing FOOTBALL.

Brilliant performance against the gutless flooding May Premiers. :thumbsu:

Thats a finals type game , no blow outs and a lot of pressure.

Good win in the end. Some of it was us but some of it was them. 2.12 the second half. It should have been much closer, the result doesn't show how little there was between the teams. I mean Macaffer two shanks?.How often did our players kick on their non preferred. Either pressure from Pies or just slack getting on to their best foot.

Byrnes must love living on the edge of selection. He keeps putting himself back there.Blake is improving , people (I include myself) have been critical of his lack of progress must concede he is coming along. The thing I notice is how often the other player peel off him, its why he cost us that goal , they are waiting for him to handpass. Kick the thing Mark , you have shown you can do it. Hawkins kicking for goal is still a bit of a raffle but he is a real contributer around the ground. Could it be possible that Ottens could be under pressure for his place? Not sure but his ability/flexibility will be hard to remove from the side

Moons and jPod did there job far better than their counterparts. Their hands gave us marks under pressure.Stokes played like a true forward pocket. Kelly,Bartel was good as well.

It will be interesting to see who comes up sore from this game

Thats a finals type game , no blow outs and a lot of pressure.

Good win in the end. Some of it was us but some of it was them. 2.12 the second half. It should have been much closer, the result doesn't show how little there was between the teams. I mean Macaffer two shanks?.How often did our players kick on their non preferred. Either pressure from Pies or just slack getting on to their best foot.

Byrnes must love living on the edge of selection. He keeps putting himself back there.Blake is improving , people (I include myself) have been critical of his lack of progress must concede he is coming along. The thing I notice is how often the other player peel off him, its why he cost us that goal , they are waiting for him to handpass. Kick the thing Mark , you have shown you can do it. Hawkins kicking for goal is still a bit of a raffle but he is a real contributer around the ground. Could it be possible that Ottens could be under pressure for his place? Not sure but his ability/flexibility will be hard to remove from the side

Moons and jPod did there job far better than their counterparts. Their hands gave us marks under pressure.Stokes played like a true forward pocket. Kelly,Bartel was good as well.

It will be interesting to see who comes up sore from this game

No!!

I'm watching the reply on Fox Sports and laughing at some of the stupid shit we we're doing.

Glad we can beat the in form team by 6 goals when playing some really poor patches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood were only able to score 1 point over 49 in the entire game. Lol.

Blake and Hawkins fared well, Geelong won because they played attacking footy through the corridor. That same 'obsession' is the kind of thing you do if you want to win big games and premierships.

He was right about Collingwood putting the cue in the rack early in the 4th though. Pity they were 4 goals down at the time. :p

Ammo , as I said in another thread. A fully fit Ottens still gets a game but the way they are going I doubt a 1/2 fit Otto will be able to force his way in. Give credit where credit is due, Blake is holding up the ruck , he has good support with Hawkins and we have enough talls forward.

I think he is under pressure to return fully fit and in form , he will have to work to get back we have no need for him to be rushed back under done.

Another possible factor for Geelong winning that I didn't think about from a tactical point of view was Blake Caracella who is now an assistant coach at Geelong. He spent 3 seasons as assistant coach at Collingwood and would have a very good idea of how they play. Not a huge factor but important none the less.

For most of the game it looked like it was end-to-end turnovers and lots of poor decisions from both teams. At different times of the game, the boys looked dead tired and couldn't produce that quick transition that we normally do.

Good win nonetheless.

I'm stoked with this win, not just cos we beat the Pies but cos we really played pretty ordinary, we are till below our best and Collingwood threw everything at us tonight

The thing that has really shit me after reading reports etc is it all seems to big note the fact that the pies were wasteful, we should have been further up at half time, and we kicked 5.5 in the third qtr which in itself isn't great conversion, but na of course it's always about Collingwood's loss rather than our win

I honestly think we have more upside than them after that, our big guns really didn't fire aside from JB, their forward line will not be able to compete with us when it counts, Dawes is a spud, Cloke average and Neon, Dids and Daisy are three of the biggest frontrunners I have seen

Go Cats

Well that was a good game. Yes they made errors but that is because they back themselves 100% even when its tight and when it comes off it is devastating.

I was really impressed with our 10-22 players.

Lonegan again I thought was great,
Blake had his best game ever (ever for his goal assist for Collingwood),
Varcoe incredible run (the goal he got when he was in the play at half way, kept running then looped around to lead out of the goal square in the same play),
I am loving Hawkins in the ruck, he was good.
Wojac, hitting it with pace,
Pods and his safe hands and is prepared to go in low for the ball on the ground.

Kelly and Bartel were standouts.

Yeah that was great. He ran back, lead into the pocket, doubled back, gave another half lead, then led into the open space on the fat side and got the mark and goal. Really good running by Varcoe. He has really lifted his game to become a very important and good player.

Was very impressed with Blake and Varcoe.

Some of Blake's tap work in the first half was exceptional, and he had a couple of nice kicks and even a sidestep.

Varcoe's quick and clean and steady on his feet. His run down of <name escapes me> where the ump called advantage and Milburn missed deserves to be highlighted. Plenty of players would've given it up after 5 or 10m.:thumbsu:

Oh and DT Captain Jimmy.:heart:

Biggest thing for me was that for all the talk of Collingwood's depth, I think we demonstrated the back half of our side is clearly better and can step up when needed. Chapman and Ablett were good but not nearly as damaging as they can be, but that void was filled admirably by Kelly and Bartel. Taylor I thought was only OK but again, any advantage Collingwood had was taken away by Lonergan who was awesome in defence early and took Cloke out of the game later.

Only concerns for me were Shannon and Hunt. Where has early season Shannon gone? Fumbled a stack when he had it - confidence just seems to have evaporated. And Hunt...I know everyone raves about his kicking but he coughed up two goals from turnovers and his opponent Beams kicked a bag. I'd almost be tempted to say put Gillies in instead, but we might be a wee bit tall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back