Preview AFL Round 9 - Geelong v Western Bulldogs, Etihad Stadium, 7:50PM Friday 25 May

Predict the winner and margin

• Western Bulldogs by 49+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Western Bulldogs by 25-48

• Western Bulldogs by 1-24

• Draw

• Geelong by 1-24

• Geelong by 25-48

• Geelong by 49+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, here's our weekly FaceOff thread. Feel free to head over and engage in some discussion.
Just make sure to be respectful to our posters, and don't cause any trouble :)
Thanks

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=948689

Also if someone wants to do a preview for Geelong, either myself or one of the other mods will add it to the OP.

If we can control their mids and McCartney we will prevail.

If we let Boyd et al run amok and rack up possessions willy nilly - we could be in some barney.

I would expect B Mac to have a few tricks ala Sando and the Crows.

Watch for Enrght and Mackie to get blanketed and Lake and Hargrave (if fit) to push hard out of defense to create ball to their mids.

We need our forwards to run hard and defende the ball coming out of there.

ALso, I reckon Westy is too quick and mobile for Minson.

I really want to see Westy or Big O push forward and run him off his feet and be an extra tall presence in the F50....

Go Catters..

What does? The possible team Sentinel did? He's there, on the wing. How many James Kelly's do you want? :p

Just the one judged by his foot skills at present.:eek:

What does? The possible team Sentinel did? He's there, on the wing. How many James Kelly's do you want? :p

sorry - I meant on the write up.

You list Sel and Jimbob but no Kel.

Where is the love?

I think the Cats will win by about 7 goals and in doing so will kick-start the season for a big crack in September.

I think this is about the fifth time a statement like this has been said in this board. Hope it is true.

I think this is about the fifth time a statement like this has been said in this board. Hope it is true.

Yes...but there were definite signs last week. A much improved performance and players getting back to form as well as signs of steely resolve to win a game of footy...

I think he may be right this time.

Yes...but there were definite signs last week. A much improved performance and players getting back to form as well as signs of steely resolve to win a game of footy...

I think he will be right this time.

EFA.:thumbsu:

I think he may be right this time.

Certainly right! The contested possession count is starting to go in the right direction - only loosing it by 10 against a team with the midfield clout of the Pies is pretty good!!

If we can control their mids and McCartney we will prevail.

If we let Boyd et al run amok and rack up possessions willy nilly - we could be in some barney.

I would expect B Mac to have a few tricks ala Sando and the Crows.

Watch for Enrght and Mackie to get blanketed and Lake and Hargrave (if fit) to push hard out of defense to create ball to their mids.

We need our forwards to run hard and defende the ball coming out of there.

ALso, I reckon Westy is too quick and mobile for Minson.

I really want to see Westy or Big O push forward and run him off his feet and be an extra tall presence in the F50....

Go Catters..

If I was you guys I'd let Boyd run amok and get 45 touches.. TBH they're rarely damaging and he's one of our turnover kings. I'd be put more resources into Griffen, Cross and Liberatore who are more damaging when they get the pill.

In saying that, I reckon the Cats shouldn't waste too much time defending against our "weapons" and you should play your normal attacking game - our team over the last year or so has wilted against well organised teams that can pile on goals like yours.

On the ruck front, I actually think that is an area where we have an edge. Minson has been rucking by himself all year and has really grown into the role. He has been very strong for us this year and when he gets the hit out, he is very effective at tapping to advantage. Even staunch Minson dislikers on our forum are seeing his value now. He has also tended not to spend as much time forward (with Roughead and/or Cordy at FF instead) and mobility hasn't really been a problem. Also, I think it's hard for ruckmen to play 50/50 time in ruck and in a KPF as the positions have different aerobic requirements.

My prediction is that we'll have big problems containing Mackie and Enright's run. Hargrave and Lake are good intercepters and readers of play, but aren't necessarily damaging on the rebound (especially Hargrave). The midfields will even each other out to some extent, but you'll be more effective getting the ball through the big white things at the end of the ground.

Good luck, but go Dogs! (PS here's to neither team getting any injuries!)

Cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think it will be a solid 3 quarter hit out with very little in it. Then Geelong takes the lead and runs out the game alot stronger!

Goodluck

Good post.

I agree, I'd have Poodle tag Griffen, Boyd is a good player but Griffen is more damaging with his ball use.

We also need to make sure we make Lake accountable as he's in good form.

Last year it would have been a "by how much" win for Geelong. This week, it will be a "who will assist Selwood to get us across the line" win.

I am concerned we may not be able to contain Boyd and to a lesser extent, Griffin. Boyd is in Brownlow form.

If Scarlett plays, our defence could be the difference. But it is difficult to have any confidence in a win.

Cats by 2 points

The earlier post mentioning our press late in the game against the Pies being the best all year was spot on. Had yet to see us push that high up the ground this year and give the opposition backs nowhere to go. If we can execute the press in that manner against the Dogs will give us every chance of scoring heavily...Cats by 49!

Last year it would have been a "by how much" win for Geelong. This week, it will be a "who will assist Selwood to get us across the line" win.

I am concerned we may not be able to contain Boyd and to a lesser extent, Griffin. Boyd is in Brownlow form.

If Scarlett plays, our defence could be the difference. But it is difficult to have any confidence in a win.

Cats by 2 points

Gee thats something I havent pondered as yet given the closeness of this season - how many brownlow contenders are there this year?!
Theres nearly one player in each team thats going to have a red hot shot at the charlie this year.

And please, if we win make it by more than 2 points - my heart cant stand this many close ones this early!!
But then another close win would be nice!! :D

I want to see a much more dynamic forward line this week. I am sick to death of a static forward line and ad hoc forward entries. A spread of players (tall, medium and small) must all lead in different directions towards the ball carrier (rather than 'cheating' by running back torwards goal) and inside-50 kicks must be put into space to their advantage.

Plan B is to go long to a pack and in this scenario we must have players at the fall of the ball.

I want to see a much more dynamic forward line this week. I am sick to death of a static forward line and ad hoc forward entries. A spread of players (tall, medium and small) must all lead in different directions towards the ball carrier (rather than 'cheating' by running back torwards goal) and inside-50 kicks must be put into space to their advantage.

Plan B is to go long to a pack and in this scenario we must have players at the fall of the ball.

I thought stokes was fantastic at this last week and seemed to be able to crumb a few that were let through to the keeper.

We need Hawkins to fix his bloody kicking and have a little more self confidence cos he would have near on torn the game apart last week had he of booted straight and backed himself.

I thought stokes was fantastic at this last week and seemed to be able to crumb a few that were let through to the keeper.

We need Hawkins to fix his bloody kicking and have a little more self confidence cos he would have near on torn the game apart last week had he of booted straight and backed himself.

I do feel that to some degree the game was lost in the first quarter when those shots at goal were wasted. He was outmarking Ried, he just had to make him pay the price. Big opportunity lost. And then all the focus ends up on the end of the game

I do feel that to some degree the game was lost in the first quarter when those shots at goal were wasted. He was outmarking Ried, he just had to make him pay the price. Big opportunity lost. And then all the focus ends up on the end of the game

Yeah thats it, he was dominating Ried at the start and then missed a few goals and went into his shell.
If he was able to keep that confidence up to keep taking the grabs and having shots, the law of averages would catch up for him sooner or later!!

I mean, blokes like Jack Riewoldt or Franklin have bad luck and miss goals but you dont see them go into their shell and stop contesting - and its really what we need to get him to get over, sorta like the last hurdle of his consistency to some extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back